Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 06:02 AM
Fire Giant

Ranger if you got friends and the best gear. Otherwise it is kinda painful. Harmony rules though
Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

It's a little dated but I'd say it mostly still applies. There are better DW options now for sure~

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's an RPG not a spreadsheet, play what you enjoy. If you enjoy being maximum strong and desired dont play a ranger. It's my favorite class by far and I've had a blast playing one. They are underrated and you have the opportunity to win hearts and minds.
Last edited by Lune; 07-19-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Old 07-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Kobold

No.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

Ranger is the most fun class to raid with.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

I posted a thread awhile back, asking what the most fun class in the game was at 60. Ranger got the most votes. But with that being said, it takes a lot of time and gear to get to that point. Most people just quit by then and want that immediate easy power like a monk can give you. The payoff is definitely there in the end, but the journey maybe not so much. Especially thanks to the very difficult to obtain but game changing items like the Earthcaller and dark cloak.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger was my second class to 60 and of all the classes I've leveled to 45+ it was by far the most fun. HOWEVER, this was before green and I almost exclusively grouped to level and pulled for pick up XP groups. The entire hot xp zone highway was outdoor zones through the early 50's, and then I just stayed in KC for quite some time anyway and made basement groups since that was nice XP well into the high 50s if you are chain pulling .

A ranger in an outdoor zone making use of harmony/snares/roots is by far the best pull class for XP grouping. And to me chain pulling for a group is super enjoyable and makes the grind feel better. If you are decent groups will love you and always want to invite you again in the future.

I know a lot of people just twink and solo on ranger especially so now post-green, but I can't speak to that side as much. As for raiding, if you are the kind of player who is motivated to be part of pulling/ripping/FTE team side of the raid game the class has a lot in its toolkit to help with those aspects. And raid guilds always like 60 rangers for CotP and weaponshield disc for tank swaps.
Last edited by Fammaden; 07-19-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Old 07-19-2020, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

So, my usual response to this having played only a ranger in EQ for 20+ years is: The ranger class is odd in that it is a lot of fun to play, but only from the ranger's perspective, not anyone else's.

As others have said, and this is completely true... if you aren't seamlessly transitioning when needed between:
  • DPS
  • rootparking or kiting adds if no other CC is available
  • pulling
  • harmony-splitting
  • harmonying/invising your way to a named on track and bringing back solo to the group or with minimal adds
  • staggering the timing of incoming mobs with root and snare if you're indoors or your group has an enchanter so they don't want one harmony-pulled mob at a time
  • snap aggroing shit off the caster that just overnuked
  • yanking a mob off an enchanter that just had mez/charm resisted
  • rooting a mezzed mob before the tank attacks it in case the enchanter still has aggro
  • topping casters with ranger heals so the healer can focus on the tank; and
  • avoiding aggro otherwise so you don't become a mana drain for others

then you're just a low-DPS rogue with some spells. Not to mention you're making it more difficult for every other ranger to get invited to a group when you don't play one to its fullest potential. That takes a lot of focus and stamina to keep that level of play up for hours while grouping, but I guarantee you are having more fun than the tank or the rogue.

It's a lot like the difference between a bard who just stands there and plays manasong, and a bard who is twisting multiple songs and is using the full potential of their class -- you all have played with each kind of bard, and you know which kind you want in your group.

Same with rangers.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

It feels we are always short on speedbumpers
Old 07-19-2020, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

If you're gonna get a bfg tolan's bracer is a must. You fire off a stack in like 4 seconds max hasted.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:04 PM
Kobold

Duel wield a Smoldering Brand and Jade Mace to 60
Closed Thread