Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And it does NOT work for you? Or is it working on 10.11?
It does not work
Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_glasses [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It does not work
Hmm okay, well there goes that idea. Ill still try on some older versions of the OS but might just be a wine issue.

Has anyone had any luck with virtual machines? I often work on my mac while I play and bootcamp would hinder that.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 AM
Aviak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfNbEUVweM

I re-installed game and did everything that this video instructs, except removing zone files that in the new update are said not to be needed to be removed and it did not work. It is definitely something particular to new update because the client would open before inserting P49 files. After that wineskin will not start everquest window - comes up in toolbar then goes away.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Large Rat

It works fine here with Wine for macOS, so it seems to be an issue with Wineskin

https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html
Last edited by Ayla; 09-09-2019 at 09:57 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 AM
Aviak

Ok so its something to do with the dsetup.dll file - earlier someone posted that they switched out this file for an earlier update (P99 Files 47 instead of Files 49)'s version of it and got the client to run again;however, you get to the character screen and it says your client is out of date. I was able to do this. The new dsetup.dll from Pfiles49 is always flagged by my anti-virus but even after putting it back into the file, client still will not run. Anti-Virus is AVG.
I then uninstalled AVG from computer...still the client would not run
Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi guys,

While we don't typically support anything other than windows, I would be willing to possibly investigate the cause behind the patch affecting mac users. It's obviously something to do with our DLL Changes, which was significantly revamped since the last time it was distributed. This file contains a lot of API/Hooking to edit the client's memory space for classic and anti cheat reasons.

I'll need help from a few of you to test the reasons for the crash, including running debug versions of the DLL. If you are a tech savvy person and are willing to help, contact me on Discord.
I'm certainly willing to help out, I can't seem to find you on discord. I am tech savvy in regards to operation but I am no coder so I might not fit the bill.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm okay, well there goes that idea. Ill still try on some older versions of the OS but might just be a wine issue.

Has anyone had any luck with virtual machines? I often work on my mac while I play and bootcamp would hinder that.
I've tried running EQ in Wine under Linux w/ Virtualbox, but it was unplayably slow on my machine (mid-2015 Macbook Pro). My research seemed to indicate that Windows wouldn't run it any faster, at least under Virtualbox, given poor support for GPU virtualization. You may have better results with a more expensive option like a VMWare product.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlkoenig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've tried running EQ in Wine under Linux w/ Virtualbox, but it was unplayably slow on my machine (mid-2015 Macbook Pro). My research seemed to indicate that Windows wouldn't run it any faster, at least under Virtualbox, given poor support for GPU virtualization. You may have better results with a more expensive option like a VMWare product.
I have never used P99 on VM, but I have a buddy on the server who uses Parallels and he says it works great. I ended up bootcamping Windows 10 as a temporary fix. Win 10 bootcamp on my mac air seems to run fine from my characters POV, but all mobs and players seem to be rubberbanding by like a 1/4 of a second, sorta annoying but it works. I sure hope the wineskin issues can be ironed out.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It works fine here with Wine for macOS, so it seems to be an issue with Wineskin

https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html
Just to confirm, you got Project 1999 working with the latest patch? (on a Mac)
Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Large Rat

Default wine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katran [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will check when I am at home again. Think it is OS X 10.11: El Capitan but not sure.
What is your wine version?