Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 03:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People here are being nice. I also like Paladins. Paladins are fun but they are above all a group tank, and there are some serious limitations which make them the least popular class in the game.

They lack the tools to be a raid tank. The only real raid tanks are Warriors due to their defensive discipline. Best case, you are picking up some trash.

Shadowknights are far more popular than Paladins for a few good reasons:
(1) Shadowknights get much more useful utility spells, including feign death, fear, snare, and invisibility
(2) Shadowknights can play the larger races that have better tank stats
(3) Shadowknights spell set lends itself more to dealing damage, while paladin spell set is more oriented to healing and mitigating

The problem here is that when you are not in a group role and you want to do anything else...travel, solo farm...shadowknights have it easier than paladins. Mobs in Everquest hit hard at higher levels. By being able to fear kite mobs, Shadowknights have a way to farm. Paladins have to just beat down the mob, root the mob, back up and try to heal up. It's far less efficient.

Instead of playing paladin, I usually opt for Ranger. They have a similar aesthetic, can tank at lower levels, but have better DPS and a better set of utility spells for travel and soloing .
I'm just curious. Did you comment on the Paladin's lack of usefulness in a raid and then recommend he play a ranger instead?
Old 12-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People here are being nice. I also like Paladins. Paladins are fun but they are above all a group tank, and there are some serious limitations which make them the least popular class in the game.

They lack the tools to be a raid tank. The only real raid tanks are Warriors due to their defensive discipline. Best case, you are picking up some .
Paladins main tank tons of raid content, it just depends how you define “raid.” In most cases knights better tanks for ToV trash, HoT, Planes, all Kunark dragons outside VP, some Veeshans Peak dragons, so on and so forth. If you only play the game with the narrow view of the 15-20 toughest mobs your missing a lot of the game.

Pally is great, you’ll have a lot to add to any group and can solo as well with the right tools.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:58 AM
Planar Protector

Paladins are a really cool class. Good at soloing, excellent group tanks, can raid tank some mobs as well. The biggest plus is that they are really fun to handle and roleplay with. They have great looking armor sets, a cool looking epic, and there are lots of really badass pally weapons.

I say go for it!
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 12-15-2021, 09:52 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoDobbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm just curious. Did you comment on the Paladin's lack of usefulness in a raid and then recommend he play a ranger instead?
Rangers are also attractive races with an attractive aesthetic, and have a ton of solo utility that makes them much easier for a new player. Yes, you can buy sow pots and invis rings, and once you learn the zones you don't need to track, and if you choose humans you don't need infra vision...but it's just an easier start.

Rangers are also not 'need to have' on a raid, same as Paladins.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:20 PM
Banned

my main problem with paladins is no bind affinity or gate - thats why i always end up playing a cleric instead
Old 12-15-2021, 03:16 PM
Fire Giant

Paladins are by far the best group tanks in the game and its not even close. At 59 I can duo/trio most camps in seb as the tank and healer. They're perfectly capable of tanking most raids as well, as long as it's not the high end velious stuff.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:26 AM
Sarnak

Best job I ever had.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suriinya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why does it matter about other classes? If you want to play a Paladin, play a Paladin!
Why would you even consider any other class if Paladin is the one that you are interested in? Who cares what anyone else thinks? Be the best Paladin you can be, just go out there and crush it.
^

This, also whichever race got your attention (example: gnome warrior). Min/maxers will be in every game like this so let them do their thing, you do yours. This is also an RP game, so which lore etc has your attention that you might be inclined to type about on occasion.. (example: Ogres eating dwarves and gnomes).

Note: Voice chat is an afterthought not worthy of your character selection. (it's ok to have and use your imagination)
Last edited by Mblake1981; 12-22-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Old 12-22-2021, 07:53 AM
Planar Protector

Default A knight without armor in a savage land

Have Sword,
Will Travel.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Last edited by Mblake1981; 12-22-2021 at 07:55 AM..
Old 12-22-2021, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrubius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Plus they might be (just guessing) the least played class? Which if so can be another fun reason to play one.
They are definitely up there as the least played class. Them or rogues

I’ve seen paladins tear it up in a duo. Pal+enc or pal+shm

Early levels will be a challenge without twinking but making it to high level untwinked on pal should command a decent amount of respect
Closed Thread