Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Six Reasons To Vote For Trump:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status...22044933206016
Old 10-21-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. I dont believe in authoritarianism just because you do.
Nice zing, it was obviously a rhetorical question and you know that. It follows logically from the swiss cheese example. I'm saying many of those things *are* authoritarian, he legally cannot impose them by decree. Yet you're suggesting he is to blame for not imposing them? And then also saying you don't like authoritarianism? You've gotta the see the internal contradiction in that.

Also he never said it was "fake". There are like a billion statements of him acknowledging the danger. Please find me the clip where he said it was fake. Also people act like he just makes statements himself; he's the president, he's surrounded by medical advisers that relay relevant information about the pandemic to him, and then because he's not very articulate he botches them when answering press core questions off the cuff. Totally worth criticizing him for those type of things. It's not even remotely fair however to say that he's "responsible for 200k deaths". That's absurd and hyperbolic and partisan, and it's a central line to the democratic campaign rhetoric.

And, still, the extremely low mortality rate for this virus VS the economic impact is the central question. Now people are even trying to pass the buck on that to trump "well the lockdowns are necessary because you did such a bad job mister!" Like get real, every single state and local economy hardest hit by lockdowns is democratically governed. It's just like when they say the rioting is "on trumps watch". Like okay, that's a pretty easy game to play. Here watch: Everything bad that happened in the country during Obama's two terms is Obama's fault. See, it's a magic trick!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-pandemic.html

US overdose deaths on track to hit an all-time high amid the 2020 pandemic: Drug fatalities have surged by at least 19% in Connecticut, 28% in Colorado and 30% in Kentucky, report finds
Old 10-21-2020, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice zing, it was obviously a rhetorical question and you know that. It follows logically from the swiss cheese example. I'm saying many of those things *are* authoritarian, he legally cannot impose them by decree. Yet you're suggesting he is to blame for not imposing them? And then also saying you don't like authoritarianism? You've gotta the see the internal contradiction in that.

Also he never said it was "fake". There are like a billion statements of him acknowledging the danger. Please find me the clip where he said it was fake. Also people act like he just makes statements himself; he's the president, he's surrounded by medical advisers that relay relevant information about the pandemic to him, and then because he's not very articulate he botches them when answering press core questions off the cuff. Totally worth criticizing him for those type of things. It's not even remotely fair however to say that he's "responsible for 200k deaths". That's absurd and hyperbolic and partisan, and it's a central line to the democratic campaign rhetoric.

And, still, the extremely low mortality rate for this virus VS the economic impact is the central question. Now people are even trying to pass the buck on that to trump "well the lockdowns are necessary because you did such a bad job mister!" Like get real, every single state and local economy hardest hit by lockdowns is democratically governed. It's just like when they say the rioting is "on trumps watch". Like okay, that's a pretty easy game to play. Here watch: Everything bad that happened in the country during Obama's two terms is Obama's fault. See, it's a magic trick!

No no no, it is not logical to follow every example to its extreme.

Oh you want to clean your living room?? Whats next, you're going to quit your job and start sweeping the whole city, then start creating an enforcement mob that goes door to door and forces each person to clean and quit their jobs and take their kids to put them into cleaning camps??

NO

I just want to clean my friggin living room.

You never have listened to anything ive said ever.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Small correction: Pelosi and Mnuchin(Trump) are very near to a stimulus deal, which McConnell has sworn to never bring to a vote.

This is all very Constitutional
Old 10-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-pandemic.html

US overdose deaths on track to hit an all-time high amid the 2020 pandemic: Drug fatalities have surged by at least 19% in Connecticut, 28% in Colorado and 30% in Kentucky, report finds
You dont care about any of that at all.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No no no, it is not logical to follow every example to its extreme.

Oh you want to clean your living room?? Whats next, you're going to quit your job and start sweeping the whole city, then start creating an enforcement mob that goes door to door and forces each person to clean and quit their jobs and take their kids to put them into cleaning camps??

NO

I just want to clean my friggin living room.

You never have listened to anything ive said ever.
It's a reductio ad absurdum, you take the apparent logic of something and point out the extreme example in order to point out an internal inconsistency of the original argument. I was not saying locking people in their homes is good, I was saying it would be illegal for the president to do, much like many of the things in the swiss cheese example. It therefore makes no sense to blame him for not doing them. If you are going to blame him for not doing them, *you* are the one arguing for authoritarianism.

And I do listen to everything you say, I like responding to your posts I'm not trying to be hostile to you.
Last edited by douglas1999; 10-21-2020 at 04:37 PM..
Old 10-21-2020, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

But i have explained in very clear terms why to take covid restrictions and apply it to influenza is both irrational on both a medical/scientific level, but also on a political and rational level.

Like so many times, so it bums me out when you say the logical conclusion of me wanting masks is to take my argument to it's absurd, after we've gone through all that!

Again to be clear, what you are accusing me of being authoritarian is the president using this language. "Masks will really have the best impact on us controlling this outbreak, so we can open our economy up sooner, get the schools open, and get us out there continuing to build the greatest economy in the world! So stand back (6 feet) and stand by (with a mask on)!"

That is all I wanted the president to say during this friggen last year.
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-21-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Old 10-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a reductio ad absurdum, you take the apparent logic of something and point out the extreme example in order to point out an internal inconsistency of the original argument. I was not saying locking people in their homes is good, I was saying it would be illegal for the president to do, much like many of the things in the swiss cheese example. It therefore makes no sense to blame him for not doing them. If you are going to blame him for not doing them, *you* are the one arguing for authoritarianism.

And I do listen to everything you say, I like responding to your posts I'm not trying to be hostile to you.
Also better known as Nut-picking
Old 10-21-2020, 05:04 PM
Banned

Covid stats from CDC

Starting in week 30 of 2020

% Death rate due to PIC(Pneumonia, Influenza or KungFlu)

Clearly on the decline, yet we don't hear this good news. It's almost like there is a narrative being pushed that isn't matching reality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-10-21 160202.jpg (23.5 KB, 0 views)
Closed Thread