Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Kobold

Vohl, I have a question for you.

Where is the evidence that EQ worked as you described a few weeks after Kunark launch (which is more or less where we are in our timeline)? I've seen alot of people claim alot of different things, I believe those that have provided evidence for their position.

I ask this because the devs are willing to change things if you present sufficient evidence that the way YOU remember things is the way they really were. I make a point of this because I mis-remember shit in EQ all the time. I played on live for 10 years. Things have a habit of blurring together and I wasn't paying absolute attention and taking notes of every change throughout those years.

TL;DR - I trust the devs' research over anyone's memories.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Sarnak

This is firsthand experience - experimentation on the Millers, in fact. The original post where I described this to my guild is long gone - I actually did try my Google Fu. As I mentioned before, I'm not seeking change, just backing up what Amelinda had said and illustrating what the differences are. My memory is fallible, but I trust it in this instance because I ended up writing about it in some forums at the time.

I would add that if Chanda Miller and Lashun Novashine are still to be found on the live servers, these experiments could be repeated. At that point, the question becomes whether or not the quests always worked as they do now.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 PM
VIP / Contributor

Chanda is bugged. Just petition in game and if I'm on I'll fix it. 5 gold and a bear pelt arent important enough to need documented in the petition forum.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Kobold

This needs to be stickied for all the idiots using ZAM
Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelinda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EXAMPLES:
*Zam claims that Genni in Sol Ro WILL take 55 plat - she doesn't ask for plat. She asks for 550 gold.

*Hasten Bootstrutter wants 3250 gold, the ring and the rapier...zam says he'll take 325 plat. this is not true.
Need to be extremely careful with ZAM as a P99 player. All those "fixes" and evolutions of quests that changed things to make things slightly easier (such as Hasten's 3250 gold into 325pp), it's all after the timeline we are on.

Usually the best "walkthrough" on any popular quest (stein of moggok etc) is only about 3-5 years old having been combined from 5 other attempts to guide players through it, you need to scroll way back to Kunark or before (1999-2001ish) to get accurate information for here. Go figure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Sarnak

The strict use of gold for quest currency was something I'd always thought of as player superstition. It is possible that the coin functionality was patched in after game release, but if so, it was likely pre-Kunark.

I'm sure nobody gives a real rip about Chanda Miller. The only reason I mentioned her was that she was the NPC that I experimented with on the live servers back in 2000. The point was the currency functionality of the quest on live servers being different. I am in no way suggesting this be changed on P99; there are much better ways for the developers to spend their time on this server.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

well. it depends on the npc as to what they want. when i did my lambent armor on live i used allllll gold. of course i got my lambent pre-kunark but even after kunark when i redid lambent armor quests i used gold. have some respect for the quest and don't just do what makes it easier. enjoy the flavor of the quest instead of 'omgwtf i want this 1337 piece of lewt'

:P
Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Sarnak

I don't recall a single quest where NPCs asking for currency requested something other than gold. Everyone used to use gold on the live servers; many insisted the quests worked much as they've been implemented on 1999. Eventually, a lot of the player base learned differently.

I have to wonder if the strictness of quests (hand in the wrong item and the NPC eats it) was part of "The Vision". Quests in various other MMO and adventure games, including many that pre-dated EQ, would simply detect that you had whatever item or flags were needed to complete a quest. In EQ, though, you hold your breath as you present every required item.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chanda is bugged. Just petition in game and if I'm on I'll fix it. 5 gold and a bear pelt arent important enough to need documented in the petition forum.
I just got two belts and a pair of boots from her yesterday.

@Vohl: I tried giving Baobob a low quality wolfskin, 4gp, and 10sp (no bank in Surefall) with no reward. I came back later, handed him 1gp, and was rewarded with a belt. So although the denomination of coin matters, completing the checklist all at once does not, at least in this case.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Sarnak

Huh. That wasn't the case when I screwed up the Honeyjum quest a few weeks ago. Handing in the 30gp after the honeycombs did not complete the quest for me when I tried it. Maybe the quest scripting for the Millers is different.
Closed Thread