Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:16 AM
Sarnak

Default The Truth about Cheating

theres been a lift on RNF restrictions for Awakened. a few players have asked in game about cheating and the suspension. below is my knowledge of whats occurred

alt tabbing out of the game cuts the framerate way down to near 15. FTE racers believe lower frame rates allow you to move faster when strafe running and jumping. the same effect can be achieved by adjusting your FPS slider in the in game options while moving and jumping. a player was reported and his guild was suspended from raiding. he was rapidly changing frame rate during jumps in an FTE race to get an advantage in a YouTube video, by cycling the game and desktop (alt tab).

when the suspension was decided for this behavior, other FTE racers' YouTube videos were removed or made private. I don't race, or know if changing frame rate rapidly or statically gives an advantage (probably so, albeit negligible), or do I think the decision was right or wrong. this is simply an indifferent account of what Ive gathered. the only information regarding this Ive seen is the official post from Sirken, and discussions on exploits/cheating in game and on the forums.

this reminds me of the sandbox survival game Rust. during one build of the game, players could adjust the gamma (basically screen brightness) to see enemies during night time. This was not how the game was intended, therefore considered a bug or exploit, and was patched out. the only way to know if a player was doing it or not, would be to watch a screen capture video, or an actual video of them adjusting the gamma brightness on their monitor.

Ive heard of runners setting their frame rate anywhere from 20-40 or any sweet spot they feel helps them feel more comfortable running and faster. Ive heard people from all walks of p99 debate this. It did not appear to me to be discussed or regarded as an exploit or cheating at the time, but more of a tweak, or personal preference with the competitive meta.

I understand why most rules are left purposely ambiguous, and are done in "the spirit of" or to the best of your judgment to avoid tedium, confusion, and to allow players to work together. If adjusting frame rate in however form is an exploitation (be that forcing it down and up again via alt tabbing, an older computer that cant run the game at X frames, or adjusting your slider while your run and jump to your personal preference) then by what means can we counter and handle this given that frame rate seems to be something that cannot be monitored or regulated.

I don't know anything about video game code or whatever else it would take but the only idea or theory that comes to my mind would be for the development side of things to lock a specific frame rate on this version of the game or game client if something like that is even possible. I don't think its realistic or appropriate to expect players to not manipulate frame rate, or to deem it as an exploitation or unfair advantage with all things above considered.

Cheers,
Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 AM
Fire Giant

Didn't read.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't read.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't read.
good response to the title, at least its not TL :P. take the time to read the body of the thread, you may find it insightful

bump

Cheers,
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Didn't read.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 AM
Planar Protector

You forgot to add your citations/references/footnotes.

Well intended post but maybe a bit too cryptic/wordy for the average RNFer.

TL;DR (as I interpreted it): People gonna cheat regardless of rules however they can.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:24 AM
Sarnak

lol yeah, you can tell i frequent here. i said my piece, was more for the hell of it. tldr: stir a little thought
Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowmercy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think its realistic or appropriate to expect players to not manipulate frame rate, or to deem it as an exploitation or unfair advantage with all things above considered.
lul
Old 01-19-2017, 06:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lul
So everyone that's ever lev hopped up to level 2 CoM or to get in to PoM castle should be banned too?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread