Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 03:12 PM
Banned

Red face Warrior race

Followup on: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=367212

on where i asked which was better: a wood elf or dark elf both in fashion and stats

I played a wood elf warrior and dark elf warrior to both lv 20 and I got to say I

wasn't entirely happy with the results. First, the low strength was kinda jacked

but at least I looked cool. Which meant I couldn't really do my job ( as a tank ) and

was mostly put on dps.

So I am thinking of rerolling. But not ogre or troll (gross), would iksar be my next bet?

heard it is quite difficult since they don't have plate armor until velious

Any advice or tips? thanks!

TLDR: follow up from my wood/dark elf warrior thread, want to do something else

instead, what race besides (ogre/troll) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Sarnak

Iksar would definitely be a good choice. Now that combat bind wound was nerfed (rest in peace sweet mistress) you will get a lot of miles from that extra regen if you need to solo in between groups. The AC bonus is obviously very useful on a tank and the +xp% of warrior we reduce the hits from being an iksar.

That being said Iksar is really tough faction wise and without any tricks like feign death (monk, necro), self sow and root (shaman), and sneak (monk) your life can get really tough when your too far from Cabillis.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar would definitely be a good choice. Now that combat bind wound was nerfed (rest in peace sweet mistress) you will get a lot of miles from that extra regen if you need to solo in between groups. The AC bonus is obviously very useful on a tank and the +xp% of warrior we reduce the hits from being an iksar.

That being said Iksar is really tough faction wise and without any tricks like feign death (monk, necro), self sow and root (shaman), and sneak (monk) your life can get really tough when your too far from Cabillis.
Seems like pretty good points. I'll have to take use to the non KOS merchants in norrath

though, it will be quite frustrating

Any gear recommendations for iksar warrior?
Old 12-03-2020, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

I personally like dwarf warriors. With little bloodpoints they are adorable little critters.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 12-03-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Old 12-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

As per any warrior race thread, gnome all the way with clockwork armor
Old 12-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Halfling Warrior is underrated.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Halfling Warrior is underrated.
but no fashion!
Old 12-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

What'd you put your starting points in on the wood elf and dark elf? Were you wearing small-type armor? I ask because if you pick a medium race you'll be stuck wearing heavier medium-size armor which'll cancel out a lot of the strength gain from picking the medium race. Iksars are rather poor in Kunark due to having to wear what amounts to ranger armor. They come into their own in Velious. On the plus side, that ranger armor won't weigh a ton so at least the iksar isn't as likely to have strength problems. A wood elf or dark elf with 90 or 95 baseline strength should be adequate. If it isn't, then something like a human or half elf with 105-110 won't suffice either because it'll feel about the same in practice since higher armor weight will mostly cancel out the racial strength gains during the levels where you're wearing sized armor types like banded or bronze. If that's the case then you'll want to pick something like dwarf or barbarian which has higher innate strength (or the iksar as noted above if you're willing to tolerate some months of being sub-par).

If you didn't put points into strength as such a race that's potentially a mistake during this era of the game. Ideal end-game stats don't help if a player quits in frustration without ever getting there. A wood elf with 75 strength is outright depressing when he tries to wear bronze armor and finds himself encumbered without even looting anything.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-03-2020 at 04:32 PM..
Old 12-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Sarnak

I’ll also make a pitch for barbarian, if your dead set on not being one of the other big races. (Though I’d recommend Ogre for the #fashionquest but to each there own). Slam is incredibly valuable when leveling especially now that push has nerfed beyond the pale. One of the most frustrating things in the game when I switch from my warrior to monk is mobs healing themselves and friggen gating like crazy now.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Slam is incredibly valuable when leveling especially now that push has nerfed beyond the pale.
Any race of warrior can interrupt. Carry a shield and when a spell starts casting you simply swap it in, press your bash keybind, and click the mouse again to put offhand weapon back. You won't even miss a beat. It is pretty easy and seamless. (admittedly it is a fair bit of annoyance when you are using a 2hander though)

In my opinion dwarf is the best warrior on paper if you are ogre/troll averse. In addition to their generally good stats they get a bonus 5 MR and PR which not many people consider. I guess you could make an argument for iksar in velious though.
Last edited by Trazic; 12-03-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Closed Thread