Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 11-09-2022, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to have some better sake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Some of it is quite tasty.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-09-2022, 12:23 PM
Banned

loramin in a nutshell
(lol)
Old 11-09-2022, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-09-2022, 07:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless you count tobacco, there are literally no other drugs in the country. Ok, not literally, but being both on an island, and being fairly conservative, Japan is able to prevent just about everything except alcohol from reaching their people.
Not really true. There's less drug use than say America for sure, but there's plenty of drug use in Japan. It's just not talked about. It took me about a year to figure out, but i was able to buy weed pretty much whenever I wanted, most if not all of it grown in country. It was fuckin expensive though at roughly 50 dollars a gram. It used to be commonly used, but after WWII big brother America came in and convinced them it was bad. Most shrines have big bells with ropes made of hemp. CBD is also legal there.

Uppers like coke and meth are pretty popular as well, especially in the salaryman culture as a way to stay up and work crazy hours. I did acid once or twice a year, and you can buy codeine syrup over the counter. Up until 2002 mushrooms were legal and sold in vending machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it true it’s custom to drink at business meetings there?

I didn’t realize there was so much alcoholism in Japan. I thought those people were just sleeping…

Sake tastes like ass too. Although the really expensive chilled sake tastes like water. I threw up from underestimating and over drinking that stuff because it was so smooth
You don't drink at business meetings per say, but after work is when you're expected to go drinking with your bosses and coworkers. It does serve a purpose though - when you're at work, it's discouraged to tell your boss he's wrong about something, but like i mentioned earlier, when drunk those societal norms erode.

i've never lived in a place where alcoholism is so accepted culturally, and I went to Chico State lol. It can be really fun, but gets pretty dark if you really think about it.

My guess is you've never had good sake. if it's served hot or cold, it's garbage and they're using the temperature to try and hide that. Good sake should be served slightly chilled or at room temp, just like wine. And like wine there's all sorts of different varieties and techniques used to make it.

It always make me laugh when people idolize Japan as some kind of magical utopia. It's just as fucked up as any other country, just in its own unique ways.
Last edited by nostalgiaquest; 11-09-2022 at 07:22 PM..
Old 11-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Planar Protector

Well, im glad we cleared up that there is no utopias and everywhere sucks.

On to having a great day!
Old 11-09-2022, 07:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not really true. There's less drug use than say America for sure, but there's plenty of drug use in Japan. It's just not talked about. It took me about a year to figure out, but i was able to buy weed pretty much whenever I wanted, most if not all of it grown in country. It was fuckin expensive though at roughly 50 dollars a gram. It used to be commonly used, but after WWII big brother America came in and convinced them it was bad. Most shrines have big bells with ropes made of hemp. CBD is also legal there.

Uppers like coke and meth are pretty popular as well, especially in the salaryman culture as a way to stay up and work crazy hours. I did acid once or twice a year, and you can buy codeine syrup over the counter. Up until 2002 mushrooms were legal and sold in vending machines.
Interesting. Were you staying in an urban area or a rural one?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:42 PM
Fire Giant

I’d say urban, although it was outside the main city. I was in a smaller beach town about 20 minutes outside Yokohama or an hour to Tokyo. Being a small hippyish beach town probabaly explains why weed was easy to get. I think the yakuza run most of the drug trade and distribution, and we had a couple local yaks in town to keep an eye on things. They were surprisingly nice guys lol. But also probabaly low in the food chain, which is why they were in the beach town and not the big city.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

I just reminded myself of the time I dropped acid and went to this crazy place called the Robot Restaurant in Tokyo. Not much of an actual restaurant, it was a crazy ass stage show with scantily clad girls, robot dinosaurs, and crazy neon lights. It was almost too much. I just looked it up and sadly it’s now closed. Imagine tripping balls and see this wild shit. Oh Japan, I do miss you sometimes.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:57 PM
Banned

imagine paying to see that and NOT getting to bang the girls
(lol)
Old 11-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Planar Protector

Per se* guys

It’s Latin and when you say per say you reflect poorly on the United States