Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 09:38 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Howdy

Just wanted to pop in and say hey to everyone here.

Brand new to EQ. First time playing, the only reason i'm even doing so is because My Father-In-Law got me started playing this last week. He's been trying to talk me into it for a few weeks. I played Wow Classic, and while it was fun it quickly got dry once i hit 60 and overall the game just wasn't very difficult though you'd think different from the way some of my fellow gamers struggled to play their class - that and the toxic community (global chat).

So far, I found myself VERY Overwhelmed by the game. Mainly the fact that I haven't ever played and I don't have the Instruction Booklet that I'm sure came with this thing when you first bought it. I knew none of the keys and my first character died right off the rip when I finally found out it was the arrow keys and I walked right into the lake! (Gnome Enchanter) Lol, I deleted my first 3 attempts at a character because it was just easier than trying to go find my body. Didn't even know i needed to loot my body. Fortunately as mentioned, my father-in-law plays so when he did log in he was able to help me out a little bit.

The graphics are what they are, they remind me of runescape and warcrafts lovechild even though this was the chicken? egg? I don't mind them. The game is veryyyy grindy, and the fact that you can lose experience adds a sense of danger to the game. I do like the game so far, the only thing i'm not too fond of is the constant need to meditate. That and the UI is pretty horrible. The cool thing is, this game makes you pay attention to your surroundings so that WHEN you die you can find your body.

Either way, going to cut this short. Just wanted to stop in and say hey.

Ingame: Papacheeks - 11 Enchanter. Peace.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Large Rat

Hey there! I've just recently started as well, level 6 now with an bard, and a druid. The graphics are certainly a nostalgic jump for me back to gaming when I was a kid on my dads computer. I absolutely love them. I feel you on the need for meditating all the time, hoping this gets better with level [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One thing I really do appreciate though is the way that you earn each level, knowing that if you mess up and die, you lose so much exp, so much time put in is just... gone.

Anyway, Cheers! Hope to see you out there.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:40 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Use Project 99 wiki site!! Its great!..Maps /guides ...everything you would need. There is a guide that shows you the available /commands.....find that and use it.

I have met soo many nice people playing so far...and this community has been very helpful when I had questions.

Welcome!!

Ingame : Wookin (rogue), Haiven (cleric)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:49 PM
Banned

Yea medding takes forever, it’s something that WoW specifically shortened (health/mana regen via drinking/eating) in order to appeal to a wider audience. And of course less penalty for death. I haven’t had to yet, but you can also hit /loc before you die if you are worried you may not be able to find your body. What I try to do sometimes is strafe-run (since it moves faster) away from the mobs towards a particular landmark such as a building, mountain, or zone wall, and then die there so I can find my body easier

I would get in the habit of gravitating towards exp areas that are relatively safe to afk at while medding, then either alt-tabbing (I guess everyone probably has dual monitors by now but I don’t so I have to alt tab) and watching YouTube or surfing the net. Or else I’ve also gotten in the habit of getting up and doing some task around the house or even lifting weights while medding. Especially as an enchanter once you start charming, you want to med to full every time you go to charm something because of all the things that can go wrong including charm breaks, social aggro, etc. Sometimes a relatively easy kill can go horribly wrong and take your entire mana bar to stabilize

At level 16 you get breeze which is a mana regen spell which makes things easier, but you have to go all the way to Kunark (FV) to get it. Then you get to experience my absolute least favorite aspect of classic EQ, the BOATS. Holy shit, DO NOT employ the alt-tab or afk strategy here, because the boats in this game take like 40 minutes to arrive and then you often have a 1-2 minute window to get on the boat or on the shuttle and if you miss it, you’re stuck waiting 40 minutes for it come back around. I missed the boat at butcher block when I was trying to get to FV because I was alt-tabbed, then I missed getting OFF the boat again because I got sick of waiting and went afk, so I had to wait for it to loop around again. It turned the whole thing into like a 2+hour ordeal. Then I couldn’t find where the vendor’s house was in FV because the architectural design in this game can be bonkers, and they have their front door pressing up against the back wall of another building, like who the hell would build a house like that??? But anyway, once you finally get breeze, downtime is lessened somewhat (still feels like forever tho)
Last edited by unsunghero; 02-15-2021 at 11:08 PM..
Old 02-16-2021, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

I think back in the day you started at your guild hall which made it easier to start out. I don't remember if you don't on p99 honestly, because I usually know where to go.

It is very grindy. I'm the type of person that loves grindy over quests all the time. I think it may be because it feels lack of legitimacy when its the same quest over and over again. But its definitely something that I can see someone not liking about the game. I think classic EQ is a phenomenally great game but with so many other MMOs these days, it may just be that the only way to get into it, is in the 90's when its the only game and you have to sit down and try to like it. I hope you enjoy it. I quit once because I hated EQ when I tried it.

Hopefully Pantheon can make a MMO with a lot of quests and do it successfully. Because after playing EQ for 8 years I want to play a WOW like game, just to switch it up. Then back to EQ.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Fire Giant

I hope that didn't sound negative. It wasn't meant too. EQ might not be for everyone but I hope you stay and enjoy it!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

In this game - your goal is to find the best way to get items and levels and explore places. The game's goal is to kill you and hold your back. Your mana regens slowly. Your life regens slowly. You need to form alliances with other adventurers to be successful and overcome the game environment.

The best way to approach it is to really enjoy the quest or journey. You can't really beat the game, and once you hit max level there are a lot of other people at that level and they are all competing for a very limited number of best in slot items.

Winning this game is having the most fun. Enjoy the world, discover and explore.

The default UI is worse than it ever was on Live everquest so it is a bummer. Look for DUXA UI or duxaui it is a good optional UI that will work on I think blue and red server but may not work on green server yet. It has some things that make the game more playable.

UI setup is a major burden in this game right now with modern computers. You will want to use /viewport command to change your viewport to one of many 4:3 aspect ratios which will allow you to see a lot more, the wide screen aspect ratios cut you down and make the game suck. You will have some black borders which are good places to put your user interface elements.

Good luck. The user interface personalization is really my bane and main complaint about the 2021 version of this game.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCheeks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just wanted to pop in and say hey to everyone here.

Brand new to EQ. First time playing, the only reason i'm even doing so is because My Father-In-Law got me started playing this last week. He's been trying to talk me into it for a few weeks. I played Wow Classic, and while it was fun it quickly got dry once i hit 60 and overall the game just wasn't very difficult though you'd think different from the way some of my fellow gamers struggled to play their class - that and the toxic community (global chat).

So far, I found myself VERY Overwhelmed by the game. Mainly the fact that I haven't ever played and I don't have the Instruction Booklet that I'm sure came with this thing when you first bought it. I knew none of the keys and my first character died right off the rip when I finally found out it was the arrow keys and I walked right into the lake! (Gnome Enchanter) Lol, I deleted my first 3 attempts at a character because it was just easier than trying to go find my body. Didn't even know i needed to loot my body. Fortunately as mentioned, my father-in-law plays so when he did log in he was able to help me out a little bit.

The graphics are what they are, they remind me of runescape and warcrafts lovechild even though this was the chicken? egg? I don't mind them. The game is veryyyy grindy, and the fact that you can lose experience adds a sense of danger to the game. I do like the game so far, the only thing i'm not too fond of is the constant need to meditate. That and the UI is pretty horrible. The cool thing is, this game makes you pay attention to your surroundings so that WHEN you die you can find your body.

Either way, going to cut this short. Just wanted to stop in and say hey.

Ingame: Papacheeks - 11 Enchanter. Peace.
There's a bunch of player-made modifications to the UI floating around here. My favorite because it's nice and modular is qqui: you can set it up with a bunch of nice QoL features and tailor it specifically to your main character.

Welcome, enjoy!

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 02-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think back in the day you started at your guild hall which made it easier to start out. I don't remember if you don't on p99 honestly, because I usually know where to go.
Nope, starting locations for characters are classic. Iksar got to start off right at their guild hall, but no one did in classic. You got a book with the game though with terrible maps of the cities to try and figure out your way around with!