Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-12-2022, 05:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Playing p99 with Repetitive stress injury

So mouse and keyboard are off the table for me, its just too painful and only gets worse the more i push it, (ive tried several mouse alternatives, none of them work). I would imagine lots of the aging population who play will have this problem eventually. Does anyone have a work around? Ive been trying unsuccessfully to get a controller to work. Is this the end for me? What if lots of people start having this issue? Tough luck? Does the cheat blocker work against xpadder? It doesnt seem to be working for me. This is my favorite game I really hope the devs or community have some options.

Thank you!
Old 05-12-2022, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Physical therapy for a year try again after
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-12-2022, 06:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Physical therapy for a year try again after
I don't have an issue with it unless I'm using keyboard and mouse, they simply are not ergonomic so that wouldn't help thanks tho
Old 05-12-2022, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

Sry I thought with some rest and gradual exercise ye could improve. If it’s a chronic issue I’m not sure about how to bind EQ controls to a controller.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-13-2022, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. You can play EQ with a Steam controller (it has enough buttons and you can bind them to any keyboard key); I've done it. The only tricky part is that (at least on Linux) you have to start the Steam software before running EQ, otherwise it won't work.

But even if you switch, if you don't address your underlying ergonomics problems, you're just going to have new arm/wrist pain within weeks.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Good luck OP. Game is designed around mouse clicks. So one joystick could be your mouse, one is your forward back strafe left strife right

And figure out a way to macro enough stuff to get by in the game, and a screen angle changer button. It's a lot of buttons even if you get the third party software working
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:25 PM
Kobold

I have been able to play P99 using my PS4 controller using both joy2key for mapping the buttons and DS4Windows to get the touchpad to work the way I want it to.

My experience with it is mostly messing around with a cleric in unrest. But I think playing a monk or something would have felt more comfortable
Old 05-13-2022, 03:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzrelax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been able to play P99 using my PS4 controller using both joy2key for mapping the buttons and DS4Windows to get the touchpad to work the way I want it to.

My experience with it is mostly messing around with a cleric in unrest. But I think playing a monk or something would have felt more comfortable
recently? and thank you this is exactly the kind of response im looking for. I dont have any RSI from using a controller, only a mouse, using a controller is quite comfortable, I just wasnt having luck getting xpadder to work so this could be an alternative
Old 05-13-2022, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

You mentioned the "wrist twist" that makes a regular mouse difficult - have you tried a vertical mouse?

-Mcoy
Old 05-13-2022, 04:31 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mentioned the "wrist twist" that makes a regular mouse difficult - have you tried a vertical mouse?

-Mcoy
yes