Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Kobold

I had recently quit my job, and wasn't looking for one. I had serious mood issues at the time, from a combination of a shitty RL situation, chemical imbalance that made me prone to depresson, and a negative outlook on life. All of this was making me borderline suicidal, and it took me a long time to fix these issues.

Looking back, EQ was a crutch that helped me survive through it by bringing some joy into my life. It's possible that after a while it became detrimental to reintegrating society, but I'm not 100% sure, so severe were my mood issues at the time. Even now, 10+ years after, I think that playing EQ all day was the best time of my life.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I think that playing EQ all day was the best time of my life
Iumuno, other than the birth of our Two Sons, I can relate to that.
Some pals & I had One of our (infrequent) gatherings down the pub recently & before long (as it always does) the conversation ended up on EQ.
Laughing our asses off about our trails & tribulations in Norrath, both the good & the bad.
I know it's something of a no brainer but things seemed a lot simpler then (We were all younger, & free of Direct Debit hell).
To be able to come back to that moment in time, here on P.99, is a very welcome gift.
PeterPan FtW
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

My son got me hooked on EQ in early 2000. He just turned 30. We still play together to this day at times. It was, and is a great way for us to still interact in a fun way. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Fire Giant

As a non-social kid it let me interact with people in a way I hadn't before. I learned to work as a team and my place in a raid (3rd tank, not very glorious). I learned that I didn't have to be the best but to be sufficient.

I left EQ for WoW and ended up starting my own guild after several splits from other guilds and led a raid force of 40 (66 active members) to top 3 spot worldwide for just under 2 years. While doing this I learned what leadership and organization were important to have a successful cohesive unit. I learned what it means to do the right thing despite popularity and politics.

To this day I credit my time in <Primus Exodus> on Veeshan as a catalyst to my professional development. I learned a lot from those people and a lot from the subsequent steps I took in WoW to develop a leadership skill set. Today my position reflects those skills and I can say confidently that I am the youngest person at my company with the level of authority and influence that I command - and I would attribute that to my roots in EQ from when I was a shy, fat, bookworm.

I DID almost lose some scholarships to WoW, but, that's hardly here or there (I recovered and kept my GPA up).
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 04-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Aviak

I think all of us have probably missed out to some real life opportunities based on having to compete in raids and grind things.

I came through fairly unscathed, though I do know people whose marriages crumbled, others who couldn't function in a professional settings, failed out of college etc...

I've also met some cool people who to this day are friends I've hung out with outside of games, have been there for weddings, important life mile stones like births, etc...

For me, the competition of raiding and seeing some of the less then desirable aspects of people have really tempered me out and made me better dealing with the drama that occasionally associates itself when working in an office environment. People throwing fits about loot have made me somewhat apathetic to people when they don't get their way.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Wasn't there an EQ guide who killed herself over something EQ related?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This shenanigans maybe?

http://www.salon.com/2000/11/21/virtual_suicide/

"A week later, however, it’s beginning to appear that there was, in fact, no suicide — and that there may not even have been a real Sheyla. Since Verant has refused to discuss the situation, Everquest community members have initiated their own investigation of the “suicide,” turning up some perplexing information. Their research has unearthed a hidden drama behind a character that many Everquest players thought they knew well, but apparently didn’t know at all."
Old 04-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This shenanigans maybe?

http://www.salon.com/2000/11/21/virtual_suicide/

"A week later, however, it’s beginning to appear that there was, in fact, no suicide — and that there may not even have been a real Sheyla. Since Verant has refused to discuss the situation, Everquest community members have initiated their own investigation of the “suicide,” turning up some perplexing information. Their research has unearthed a hidden drama behind a character that many Everquest players thought they knew well, but apparently didn’t know at all."
Yeah that's the one - only saw the original article back in the day, never knew it was a hoax... guess it cost "her" and those around her a lot emotionally.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't forget Shawn Woolley.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/addicted...ver-everquest/
Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned

dont forget bestow
Closed Thread