a lot of people not playing enchanters in this thread
Old 05-14-2021, 02:01 PM
Fire Giant

Nah, everyone was just bad at enchanter on live + 10 fps and 350 ping

Move to resolved.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:57 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.S. Tons of evidence supports all the claims made above. It's pretty much undeniable that all of that is true as backed up by evidence, client de-compiles, in era posting, etc. There really shouldn't be anymore discussion on this because it's already proven charm on P99 is nowhere close to classic. Until at a minimum channeling gets fixed then P99 is easy mode. Enchanter just seems to abuse this the most.
People in classic weren't good. The game (and MMOs in general) was new. Go find someone who's never played a MMO before and see how long it takes for them to learn how to charm solo. It takes a very solid understanding of EQ combat that people did not have in classic era.

How long did it take for people to figure out about GCD clickies? How long did it take for people to figure out that Goblin Rings were instant charm breaks? You needed all of those pieces in place before charm soloing became viable. That's what you should be looking for, not "charm soloing guide 101 in the year 1999".

And I don't get the channeling argument. I played a wizard on live and I would root or nuke through getting hit all the time. You act like it was impossible. You just had to time your cast right.

And as I said to Lor, charm soloing has inherent risk built into it. It's not easy and you will die a lot. It's not a free path to 60 by any means. Same with bard kiting. Grouping is still the "easy mode" of leveling because it's the path with the least amount of deaths.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:34 PM
Banned

invis should break way more often too ) and everyone should want clicky invis pots [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and enchanters should just have a server wide random DT every 20-40 mins
Old 05-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

People arguing encs play better now. Because they can solo.

Wrong. It is an mmorpg. Enchanters were better before because they grouped and roleplayed.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-14-2021, 03:48 PM
Aviak

This thread is on enchanters, and only 1 enchanter beat me to max AA's, period. It was a race and I remember it well. And it was specifically using charm.

Anyone who followed Club Fu or played on Bristlebane knows I was better geared than just about every INT caster on live until I retired at the end of PoP. I stacked CHA/STA/HP. That certainly played a part using charm as I helped lead Club Fu with Pouty. Nobody calls me out on this, because its fact.

Most of ya'll probably never played an enchanter or were geared enough to charm. But charm was working well before PoP. Again, we were charming hatchlings in NToV and Giants in Kael. Bristlebane's first AOW kill was done with like 20 charmed giants. This same strategy was used with Afterlife and FoH. I also specifically remember charming in Chardok as well.

To be honest, most of us were using 300 MHZ computers with 8 or 16mb of ram during classic and kunark on CRT monitors that made moving efficiently extremely difficult.

Find some old parts and slap them together from 1997-2000. Have a friend who's never played EQ gear an enchanter and attempt to charm with shit gear and let me know how it goes. Bet he/she dies and doesn't try again.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
invis should break way more often too ) and everyone should want clicky invis pots [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and enchanters should just have a server wide random DT every 20-40 mins
This is true
Old 05-14-2021, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People arguing encs play better now. Because they can solo.

Wrong. It is an mmorpg. Enchanters were better before because they grouped and roleplayed.
Since we’re talking about grouping, let’s factor in server health and player preferences. 1/4 to 1/3 of the playerbase (including lots of casual scrubs like me) are playing 1 of a few strong solo classes because for whatever reason they aren’t wanting to group. Maybe it’s because when they play, groups aren’t available. Or maybe it’s because with their play setup they have to frequently afk. Or maybe they’re just anti-social and weird

All 3 aren’t going to be pleased to be hit with a few coder’s guess on how classic charming went based on a vocal minority of players on the forum

So what happens next? People either adapt, re-roll, or quit. If they re-roll and want to be a strong solo’er, they’ll be funneled into fewer choices and so class populations will continue to skew. And they’ll probably be more likely to quit the longer they were used to the old version. And if it was challenging to find groups when you played before, and some casual players in your level range just quit....Well that’s a bummer
Old 05-14-2021, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost wolves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People in classic weren't good.
If you could travel back in time you would probably get rejected by every elite guild. I personally remember how stringent the requirements were, and even WoWs top raiding guilds pale in comparison

Also it’s weird how you use the year 1999 specifically to speak for the EQ community as a whole

The game was only out for a month in 1999, and most people didn’t even know the game existed until 2001+

When most of us talk about what we remember we are talking about 2001-2004

Not the single month of 1999 where most servers didn’t even have enough players over level 10 to form a group in Unrest
Old 05-14-2021, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since we’re talking about grouping, let’s factor in server health and player preferences. 1/4 to 1/3 of the playerbase (including lots of casual scrubs like me) are playing 1 of a few strong solo classes because for whatever reason they aren’t wanting to group. Maybe it’s because when they play, groups aren’t available. Or maybe it’s because with their play setup they have to frequently afk. Or maybe they’re just anti-social and weird

All 3 aren’t going to be pleased to be hit with a few coder’s guess on how classic charming went based on a vocal minority of players on the forum

So what happens next? People either adapt, re-roll, or quit. If they re-roll and want to be a strong solo’er, they’ll be funneled into fewer choices and so class populations will continue to skew. And they’ll probably be more likely to quit the longer they were used to the old version. And if it was challenging to find groups when you played before, and some casual players in your level range just quit....Well that’s a bummer
Idk why but TLP is always got groups... I always try to go places to solo since I’m kind of twinked... and I can’t because people are always grouped everywhere and send me an invite the second I enter the zone lol

I kind of miss ZEM from p99...like leveling in Marus Seru is MIND NUMBING compared to Unrest, Splitpaw, Mistmoore etc..

In this regard TLP feels more classic because you legit just go to an outdoor zone and spam pull as many mobs as you can and the loot is terrible.. but dungeon leveling is much more fun on P99... but I think less popular on Aradune... idek though... there’s always groups at Fireplace in UR but somehow last night Ai ended up in Marus Seru for 9 hours and it was so boring
Closed Thread