Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 AM
Banned

Help me understand what is expected of me other than slowing, rooting, charming for dps, and of my constant rebuffing? I have trouble with mezzing, well, mainly resists and the cast times of spells.

Is there like some pro tip -> Stun -> Mez -> Memblur sequence? What should I get into habit of? And also, be specific on which spell, I'm level 26 and if you say Lull rather than Soothe or Charm over Beguile, I'll take it literally as you state it. I know some have said don't bother using this over that due to increased mana cost and casting time. Is it true that these lower level spells will still be just as effective at level 30?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:40 AM
Fire Giant

At lvl 26, if you have mez resists, the mobs are probably just too high compared to you. In that situation, I would root and cast Tashani to help root stick for full duration. If necessary to mez, I would cast mez after Tashani, which lowers magic resist to help with resists.

As far as cast times of mez, if you have an instant clicky (e.g. telescope, goby earring, or better yet rod of insidious glamour ), put mez in spell slot 1 and use the clicky to bypass the mez cooldown.

Some sequences that come to mind:
root/snare/long duration mez -> Calm -> memblur is useful to heal your pet. Probably not so useful until later though.
stun -> mez -> tash -> charm is a good way to recharm on break. You can also skip the stun and lead with mez. Leading with stun will only work if you have a clicky to instantly cast mez after stun, or if you have the longer duration stun spells at higher levels.
root -> tash so root sticks longer
mez -> tash -> slow

Use a clicky between each spell to reset spells' global cooldown.
Last edited by fash; 10-20-2016 at 02:59 AM..
Old 10-20-2016, 06:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orotiagito [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Help me understand what is expected of me other than slowing, rooting, charming for dps, and of my constant rebuffing? I have trouble with mezzing, well, mainly resists and the cast times of spells.

Is there like some pro tip -> Stun -> Mez -> Memblur sequence? What should I get into habit of? And also, be specific on which spell, I'm level 26 and if you say Lull rather than Soothe or Charm over Beguile, I'll take it literally as you state it. I know some have said don't bother using this over that due to increased mana cost and casting time. Is it true that these lower level spells will still be just as effective at level 30?
I assume you're talking about grouping? I can't really tell... but talking about expectations makes me think you're playing with others. Assuming that's true, at 26 your responsibilities should be:

1. CC (you shouldn't get many mez resists, even before you cast tash, unless you're fighting yellows or reds which are always going to be hard for a chanter to CC... if that's the case, be sure to tell the group to kill the hard stuff you can't CC first while you deal with the lower-level stuff... it's bad for everyone if they expect you to be able to lock stuff down but all that happens when you try is you get your ass beat and the healer uses all his/her mana on you... get help from higher level characters who can root when you need help with CC or move to a new group where you're dealing with blues-evens-occassional yellow)

2. buffs (breeze on anyone with mana, haste on melee, maybe magic resist on tank and puller depending on what you're fighting... stuff like AC buff and feedback damage shield are low priority unless you're swimming in mana)

3. charm DPS (the less comfortable you are with your mana and with CC, the less you should be trying to contribute here... either find a lower-level thing to charm or just revert all the way to an animation)

4. other utility stuff, including slows (like stuns to interrupt nasty nukes/dots/heals, help pulling maybe with lull or calm, runes depending on group makeup and your mana situation. languid pace and even tepid deeds are pretty minor slows at lower levels and not worth the mana and aggro they'll cost you compared to how long NPCs live... you'd basically be better off casting a couple stuns or a nuke to reduce damage/shorten the fight instead of slowing... the only time slow would be worth it is on something tough, which is probably a red con that you will have trouble sticking slow on anyway... slow gets worth casting at maybe like 35ish depending on the group, but I still tend to use a lower-level-than-max slow all the way to 60 (tepid deeds usually) unless fighting a super baddie)

Tash+root isn't going to work well on something that is high-enough level that you have trouble mezzing it. Root will resist much more often than mez (mez has a lower resist than any normal spell, perhaps reduced based on your charisma) and will wear off quickly on tough targets.

Lull vs calm is just a convenience and mana issue. Lull doesn't reduce aggro radius by nearly as much but it costs less mana and casts fast and recasts fast. Calm costs more and casts slower but lowers aggro so much you pretty much need to sit on top of the NPC to aggro it. I use them both depending on the situation. Charm vs beguile is elementary. If the NPC is too high for charm, you cast beguile; if it's not too high for charm, you cast charm because it casts faster and is cheaper.

Other than that... read Loraen's enchanter guide and/or watch my videos closely for spell names and tactics. Questions like "what are good habits?" are hard to answer. It's like someone standing next to you /saying "buffs bro?" instead of asking "Hey man, could I please get clarity and feedback from you?" If you can't put enough into things on your own to at least know the right kinds of questions to ask and are just asking for general overall advice, you should be reading guides and watching videos instead of asking for people to type out the content of guides and videos on the forums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 10-20-2016 at 06:58 AM..
Old 10-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At lvl 26, if you have mez resists, the mobs are probably just too high compared to you. In that situation, I would root and cast Tashani to help root stick for full duration. If necessary to mez, I would cast mez after Tashani, which lowers magic resist to help with resists.

As far as cast times of mez, if you have an instant clicky (e.g. telescope, goby earring, or better yet rod of insidious glamour ), put mez in spell slot 1 and use the clicky to bypass the mez cooldown.

Some sequences that come to mind:
root/snare/long duration mez -> Calm -> memblur is useful to heal your pet. Probably not so useful until later though.
stun -> mez -> tash -> charm is a good way to recharm on break. You can also skip the stun and lead with mez. Leading with stun will only work if you have a clicky to instantly cast mez after stun, or if you have the longer duration stun spells at higher levels.
root -> tash so root sticks longer
mez -> tash -> slow

Thanks, the clicky trick is nice to know, and I didn't know you could root THEN tash and it will stand longer. I thought that tash always had to come before your root for it to take effect.

Can you charm first THEN tash a mob for the same effect? I guess what I'm asking, is the duration already set upon hitting a mob with charm? or does casting tash while a mob is charmed contribute to overall duration?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orotiagito [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, the clicky trick is nice to know, and I didn't know you could root THEN tash and it will stand longer. I thought that tash always had to come before your root for it to take effect.

Can you charm first THEN tash a mob for the same effect? I guess what I'm asking, is the duration already set upon hitting a mob with charm? or does casting tash while a mob is charmed contribute to overall duration?
root checks for a break every tick, so if you tash after rooting, the resist checks after tash are affected

you can't cast detrimental spells (tash) on a charmed pet (on blue)

if you mez or root a mob, follow with tash and charm, and use your 1-slot dispel, it will hit the mez or root, so you have a tashed pet ready to go
Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:

I thought this at first too. I thought that when the spell landed it had some predetermined duration that it would last, so that if tash is on before the root then it would affect it and if it was on after it wouldn't make a difference. But this isn't how it works. It has a maximum duration, and each tick until that duration it has a random chance to break which takes into affect MR. So each of these chances decreases if you cast tash, even if it is after the root lands.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

You know, at 26 you are probably still spending a good deal of time in outdoor zones. As far as resists and agro go it's possibly better for the enchanter to do the pulling if you are competent.

Tashing a mob and then mezzing or slowing it after the pull is a shit ton of agro, and will regularly cause issues especially if the mez doesnt blur it. However the initial action to cause agro generates only 1 point of hate regardless of what it is. So you can pull with a tash on higher level mobs to make the rest easier at sufficiently less agro, or if the mob is a lower level you can just pull with a slow and skip the tash altogether. It will only take the tank hitting it once to rip it off you. You just have to be the one to initiate the agro. someone else cant pull it for you.

Get your CHA and situational awareness up and you can do this in dungeons too. chanters can be great pullers.
Last edited by -Catherin-; 10-21-2016 at 01:13 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Can you elaborate on the spell slot 1 CD bypass? I thought it only worked on GCD?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlycupcakez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you elaborate on the spell slot 1 CD bypass? I thought it only worked on GCD?
Spells have individual cooldowns. It's the number called recast time on the wiki e.g. Rapture has 24 sec. There is also the GCD (Global Cooldown) which is ~2.5 seconds. When you cast a spell, that specific spell is grayed for its recast time, and all spells are grayed for the GCD duration.

Using a clicky will 1) reset the GCD and 2) reset the recast on only the spell in slot #1.

Note that the server still checks the recast time, so putting something like rapture in slot #1 may not be beneficial. Generally, in slot #1 you want a spell that has a casting time greater than or equal to its recast time.

Also note that the classic behavior is that all recast times should be reset, not just the recast in slot #1. It's a bug that only the first slot is affected.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 AM
Fire Giant

oh nice - thank you! so it allows you to cast the spell before the CD is down, but the CD must be met before the spell finishes?
Closed Thread