Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Skeleton

Default Good duo for begginers

Ive been playing on 1999, just goofing off for the last month or so. My wife watched me play a bit and decided she wanted to give it a whirl.

I bit about me. My highest toon on Classic was 28 or so rogue. Im very experienced in mmorpg's, but not so much in EQ.

My wife is completely new to MMORPG's. Shes played WoW very casually, never really getting to deep into it. She is a pretty good gamer though, shes just never got sucked into an mmorpg.

So, basically 2 noobs, what would be a good duo? I thought about a tank/healer. Atleast we could always get groups started. Perhaps a SK/Cleric. Then again, maybe completely solo is the way to go. Ive played enchanters, there fun, but the skill cap is a bit above me for the moment (in all honesty, I have a 16 enchanter on red and constantly get owned trying to solo charm and such, but it is a fun challenge).

Whats some suggestions peeps? =)

EDIT: These will be non-twinks obviously.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Fire Giant

Can't go wrong with Monk/Shaman, make them both Iksars and should be a nice leveling experience 1-20 and beyond.

Cleric/Enchanter doesn't really shine till Cleric gets complete heal and Enchanter gets theft of thought, however if you two plan to go the distance this is an amazing duo 50+

With Velious coming out this weekend a good choice is Ranger/Enchanter (and even more so when the class exp penalty is dropped sometime during the Velious timeline). Very safe as you'll be outdoors with SoW and probably the best way for someone to ease into enchanter.

Necro/Druid/Bard + Rogue is solid as well.
Last edited by Bboboo; 07-29-2015 at 02:34 PM..
Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Aviak

on my druid it was pretty good with a chanter or a necro, but I didn't duo at the low level so it was mostly after level 20+
Old 07-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Enchanter/mage is a pretty self-sufficient duo. I think mage/necro can work too. I've also had great success aggro kiting with rogue/bard or rogue/druid, though using the same tactic over and over again might get old. However, I think you should opt for compatibility with additional groupmates, as that will add variety and ongoing interest. Monk/shaman is probably a great way to go, or enchanter/cleric. Those teams can duo self-sufficiently, or integrate with almost any other classes to produce a viable group of 3-6.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Kobold

Tank and healer is a good choice. You will not be the fastest killing duo, but the defensive nature of the team gives you good wiggle room for learning. As you mentioned it is also a great start to a group.

My brother and I play a cleric - paladin team and it is great. Duoing, small groups, large groups, it all works. There are stronger strictly duo matches, but I think tank - healer gives you the best transition from duo to group.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Aviak

I always tell true new people to go with pet classes.. Low curve, send pet and cast spells. things go wrong gate. Also its a fast way to make$ incase you want to twink another combo

Shamie monk is a fun combo. I would make the wife the monk so she can flop when things go wrong. Anyone can tank with shamie slows on the mob. You will be able to pull just about any camp and split them up with practice.

I would stay away from purest tank and healer , these combos can be really slow/boring since the dps will not be there. Going in anywhere deep controlling agro will get tuff and you will get frustrated a lot. (knowledge comes from experience with this combo) You will be able to build groups easy tho with this set and make tons of friends.
Last edited by Hmotzart; 07-29-2015 at 02:42 PM..
Old 07-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

There are lots of possibilities that can work provided you are decent to good at playing in a group.

Basic/straightforward: Warrior/Cleric

Efficient basic: Monk/Cleric, Shadowknight/Cleric, Paladin/Cleric, Mage/Cleric, Ranger/Cleric

Specialized (limited areas of extreme efficiency): Necro/Cleric (undead), Druid/Druid (outdoors), Druid/Ranger (outdoors), Cleric/Cleric (undead), Druid/Cleric (undead and outdoors), Ranger/Ranger (deathtouch--j/k, it's really outdoors)

Variety: Shaman/Shaman, Shaman/Enchanter, Enchanter/Enchanter, Druid/Enchanter, Shaman/Cleric, Monk/Enchanter, Mage/Druid, Druid/any DPS, Enchanter/any DPS, or basically anything that includes a Shaman or Enchanter (sometimes Druid if outdoors), Bard/Shaman, Bard/Cleric

Your Only CC Is Root: Wizard/Cleric, Wizard/Wizard, Cleric/Cleric, Rogue/Cleric, Rogue/Wizard, Bard/Cleric to a certain extent

Destroy Everything: Enchanter/Enchanter (charm-kiting), Necro/Necro (fear-kiting), Mage/Mage (pets and nukes), Mage/Necro (pets, nukes, fear-kiting), Enchanter/Necro (charm and fear-kiting), Enchanter/Mage (charm and pets and nukes), Shaman/Enchanter (dots and charms and nukes), Bard...?

Weird But Could Work: Ranger/Necro, Shadowknight/Ranger, Paladin/Shadowknight, Ranger/Wizard, Necro/Wizard, ???/???

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Last edited by Sorn; 07-29-2015 at 02:43 PM..
Old 07-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't go wrong with Monk/Shaman, make them both Iksars and should be a nice leveling experience 1-20 and beyond.

Cleric/Enchanter doesn't really shine till Cleric gets complete heal and Enchanter gets theft of thought, however if you two plan to go the distance this is an amazing duo 50+

Necro/Druid/Bard + Rogue is solid as well.
i vote for monk+shaman or cleric/sham+ench, but do yourself a favor and don't roll and iksar shaman. shit starting stats, and the armor limitations are harsh even in velious.

if you really want to remain powerful as you level you really should have an enchanter in the duo as it opens up your options for camps. so many tools that when you combine them with anyone that synergizes they are BEASTLY. clerics love me on my enchanter because they are constantly surprised at the crazy xp i can give them just for buff/healbotting me. you'll be flabbergasted that anyone bothers with groups of 6 when you can blow through any camp and have time left before repops. it will be harder as a new player not being able to have a goblin ring, but the class is just wicked powerful and will make your duos a lot more interesting than a monk/shaman combo, which is also powerful but seems far less interesting to me.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Kobold

How beginner we talking? Necro and Enchanter and Mage are great soloers and do well as a duo in any combination though Necro/Enc and Mage/Enc are better than any other combo just for the benefit of mana regen.

Shaman/Monk is great.

Enchanter/Cleric is a great combo as well once the cleric hits 39 it becomes inhuman. The great thing about Enchanter/Cleric combo is the amazing group versatility. You are the core of a group, throw up a LF3M Tank and DPS PST and you will have a wicked group built in no time flat. You can easily duo anything and you already have CC + Heals covered for starting a group (these are the hardest things to find if you don't have friends online).
Old 07-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Elaborate on what sort of gameplay you look to do.

Are you looking for two classes in a duo where you will be entirely self sufficient and not group with others? Are you looking to be a pair but almost always look to join 3-4 others and group in dungeons? Do you have large chunks of time or are you only able to get 30-60minutes at a time before you must log?

If you're looking for self sufficiency, I'd suggest something like a Druid/Enchanter. You have a porter, a healer, both can charm, can kite outdoors, charm indoors.

If you're looking for self sufficiency with melee, monk/shaman is the tried and true combo.

If you are wanting to get groups a cleric/paladin or cleric/SK can support the core of a group, though is a rather slow duo by themselves.

Etc.
Closed Thread