Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Kobold

Default Question about leveling up spell research

After playing a druid for years and years I decided to try a bit of the dark side and rolled a little Necro. I am really enjoying playing it. Since I have now gotten to level 20 I'm noticing more of our spells "the pets in particular" require research.

Does anyone have a link to a good guide about where to find the pages we need? Is it always strictly random mob drops?

Does anyone have any resource tips or tricks they wouldn't mind sharing with a neophyte?

Thanks in advance

Griffy
Old 11-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Re..._Spell_Recipes
Have you checked the wiki already?^
http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Re...romancer_Words

I may have a copy of Intensify Death that U can have if you're online same time as I am.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Kobold

Thanks Whirled id love a copy of Intensify death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and yup i checked the wiki first off, but it really doesnt give much advice on gathering words and grinding up the skill. I also checked EQ traders but they dont have classic leveling ideas.

Griffy
Old 11-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

I heard a rumor that humanoid types drop words of, but I'm not sure if valid. Shoot me a PM or lmk what your ign is and I'll catch up to you at some point when I get home. For now tho....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6OaVnbqaY
Old 11-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Couple comments about researching spells:

Unless you're in groups that are fighting high cons for your current level, you probably won't be finding research words until AFTER you hit the level in question. I.e. you won't be soloing stuff that drops level 29 words until you're in your 30s. Quite an annoyance if you're trying to keep your spellbook up to date without relying on other methods of getting words.

Furthermore, research skill is hardcapped by level... to a point where research of spells that you need right now will never be trivial. I.e. you're finally get 1 copy of each word you need to get your newest, coolest spell... then you probably fail the combine even if you HAVE managed to keep research practiced, because you can't trivial that combine until well past the level of the spell.

If you do really want to level research just because, go for it. There are places you'll have better or worse luck finding words, although sorry I'm no help at all for finding necro words. Checking merchants in caster guilds, near banks, or near leveling zones is a great way to find a lot of words too though. Note that even if a merchant seems full of junk, he might actually still have words buried in his non-visible inventory, which will become visible as you buy up stuff that is listed off his inventory. This can be expensive, but some items resell very well (gems, jewelry, etc) or are very cheap (rat whiskers and whatnot) and it can be worth doing this sometimes. Other players might be a source of words, again especially if you're trying to buy them in an appropriate leveling zone.

I assume intelligence affects your chance of getting a skill up on a combine, so wearing all the int gear you can find and/or getting an int buff from a chanter, then doing a bunch of combines all at once, might be a good idea for grinding skill up. Not really sure if this is a thing or how much of a thing it is, but it was typical "common knowledge" stuff I think.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-02-2016 at 04:37 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 05:19 AM
Fire Giant

Regarding pets: Some of the pet spells not available at necro vendors ARE available at some SK vendors, namely the ones in Grobb and Oggok. The first really unavailable pet spell which is research only is the 24 one. Try to find the words for it and get a higher level necro to do the combine.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Kobold

Thanks Pyrion, Luckily for me Whirled is gonna hook me up with the 24 spell. As far as Grobb and Oggok go, am I as a gnome Necro gonna have trouble in those cities? I suppose i can always create an ogre or troll if needed to purchase the spells for me /shrug
Old 11-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Kobold

I dumped trainer points into research to get my skill up. It really is tough to get enough words to skill it up on combines alone.

Once you get Call of Bones then you'll definitely be okay in those cities in skeleton form. I'm not sure when you're in gnome form, but my guess is that you'd be KoS.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dumped trainer points into research to get my skill up. It really is tough to get enough words to skill it up on combines alone.
See: http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Re...Practice_Runes
Old 11-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Banned

The Overthere will give you the words for intensify death.
Closed Thread