Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you want the hybrid penalty in Green 2.0?
Yes 38 34.55%
No 72 65.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Default Green 2.0 Hybrid Penalty

Is there anyone that actually wants the hybrid penalty with Green 2.0?
Old 02-10-2022, 03:20 PM
Sarnak

i can tell you for sure the vision of this project has nothing to do with what the community wants. in general people want pet windows in green. in general people want cycle tab targeting. neither of those things are on green because it isnt 'classic' or the vision of classic that the server aims to be. i can say with damn near certainty, the hybrid penalty is definitely something that isnt going to change.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:08 PM
Sarnak

You gunna get hybrid penalty and other things you may not like and you will like it or find a different server.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Banned

yes

keep p99 as classic as possible

everyday its turning more and more into a custom box (which it is)
Old 02-10-2022, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Despite being an uber 'keep it classic' type of guy, i was actually first, or one of the first suggesting they remove the penalty from green before it even launched... for me it's base on two factors:

The exp rate on p99 is already infalted and not classic. And all the hybrid exp penalty does is slow down leveling. hence it just seems cmpletely arbitrary to single out hybrids when we are already not playing classic exp.

the other reason is to give it ever so slighty more the feel of original EQ classes demographcs. yes, we we will never go back to only 15% of the server playing bard/enc/necro combined and 75% playing druids/hybrids. but when you literally never even come across a ranger/paladin/sk it really takes away from original experience.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:43 PM
Banned

haha no
Old 02-10-2022, 06:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The exp rate on p99 is already infalted and not classic. And all the hybrid exp penalty does is slow down leveling. hence it just seems cmpletely arbitrary to single out hybrids when we are already not playing classic exp.

the other reason is to give it ever so slighty more the feel of original EQ classes demographcs. yes, we we will never go back to only 15% of the server playing bard/enc/necro combined and 75% playing druids/hybrids. but when you literally never even come across a ranger/paladin/sk it really takes away from original experience.
The penalty isn't arbitrary. It's there to punish classes that have access to multiple skillsets because that (in theory) gives them an advantage. The flaw is that purist classes are too powerful due to poor balance.

As for demographics, it's nonclassic - and it sucks - but the problem isn't penalties at all. It's balance and awareness of imbalance. Awareness can't be changed, so the only way this can be fixed is by reconstructing the classes, because even if they removed the penalty few players would want to play an inferior class.

I wouldn't be adverse to a properly balanced P99, but I don't want anything half-assed. Easy to say, of course. Actually making it balanced and having the majority find it enjoyable is a terrifying endeavor to undertake.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The penalty isn't arbitrary. It's there to punish classes that have access to multiple skillsets because that (in theory) gives them an advantage. The flaw is that purist classes are too powerful due to poor balance.
It's entirely arbitrary to say "its classic" when it comes to throttling hybrid exp yet the actual exp for everyone else is not classic. if you can't understand that, i can't help you but maybe webster's can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for demographics, it's nonclassic - and it sucks - but the problem isn't penalties at all. It's balance and awareness of imbalance. Awareness can't be changed, so the only way this can be fixed is by reconstructing the classes, because even if they removed the penalty few players would want to play an inferior class.
i've ran into at least half a dozen warriors/rogues and even a cleric who said they would have prefered to play a hybrid for their first character(just like they did back in the day) on green but decided against it purely because exp pealty. it might be anecdotal evidence but it's better than no evidence.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:50 PM
Kobold

Hybrid penalty was there for a reason. Deal with it.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:40 PM
Planar Protector

I'd rather get rid of all these stupid "legacy" items, including/especially manastone.
Closed Thread