Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Sarnak

Default Why do devs keep making these retarded cash shop MMORPGs that all fail?

Has there ever been a pay4power MMORPG that wasn't a complete and utter fiasco?

Neverwinter had its soft release yesterday (the open beta scheme where they launch the game but reserve the right to excuse all problems with "it's still beta") and it's just blatant pay2win.

You can buy all sorts of nonsense with cash, like full heal potions with 200 charges when the normal potions available in-game are more like WoW's potions: fairly costly and heal you for like 30%. Since potions have almost no cooldown in Neverwinter, you can literally eliminate the need for a healer if you pay the dollar bills it takes.

If you die, you can click a button to insta-rez yourself right there for 5 Zen (half a dollar) and you can buy the in-game currencies with cash. You can also buy shit like AoE rez scrolls, bonus packs with insanely overpowered low-level gear, and all the other typical thinly-veiled pay2win shit.

Everything can technically be obtained via gameplay, but of course they've designed it so it takes so long it might as well not be possible. The aforementioned 200-charge full heal potion? Estimated time to grind: 55 hours at current Astral Diamond to Zen conversion rates.

You also have to buy bags with Zen (or grind for days and days and days to get enough AD to buy the Zen) and high-level companions have to be bought as well. Anyone so inclined can swing the credit card and buy their endgame purples that way, or exp boosts that let them level from 1 to 60 in an afternoon.

Needless to say, this game will be dead within the month. My question is: why the shitting fuck do idiot developers keep making games like this? Is it really profitable or are they just failing over and over, making the same mistakes as the last thirty groups of morons did?¨

It's a real shame because the gameplay is kind of fun but who in their right mind is gonna make a serious commitment to a game that quite literally lets people buy cheat codes for $$$?
Last edited by Noselacri; 05-01-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP / Contributor

interesting.

i hadnt looked into this game at all, but a couple RL pals were harping in my hear about how they think this game will be the awesome. but thanks for the info [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

only game in the future that im looking forward to atm is Elder Scrolls Online.

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
interesting.

i hadnt looked into this game at all, but a couple RL pals were harping in my hear about how they think this game will be the awesome. but thanks for the info [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

only game in the future that im looking forward to atm is Elder Scrolls Online.
and eq next, cmon you KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO TRY IT!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

also you should play EVE, one of the few MMOs where players pay to lose.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://stoicstudio.com/forum/the-ban...a-factions.php
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Yep I have to say I agree... if I see a cash shop for any kind of gain I run a mile. I'd rather everyone paid a $8-$10 subscription a month and have the game fair - and it gets rid of a lot of toxic players at the same time (see - League of Legends etc)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Banned

Yeah I normally automatically quit any game I try that has cash shops. This is a bad way to ruin the immersion in game for me.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL. Ukm, eg...

LOL.

(there's some truth that)

Anyway...

The point is that instead of getting things in the game to be better, you're paying real-life cash for the same sorts of things. So you don't need to even know how to play the game, you just need real-life cash. Is that the problem? So it's like you're playing alongside people who have cheat codes. They're haxing the game.

The other issue, ofc, is how gimmicky it all looks. Open up hte in-game shop and it's like opening up a website strewn with advertisements. A salesman vomited on you. Ima giddy to spend spend spend.

In hte past, I've justified hte idea of allowing people who have less time but more money to play time consuming games by paying for odds and ends instead of spending time to get them. The idea on paper is real cool. However, I do not know if it will ever work well. Probably, but maybe not.

The issue is... players have different amoutns of time to play. How do you please everyone. Players also have different amounts of real-life cash on them. A company wants to maximize the money it gets.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-01-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

I dislike even a cosmetic cash shop. I remember in WoW when they released that $25 Celestial Steed mount, I went to orgrimmar and everyone was fucking riding one. People were making fun of them and the typical response was: "LAL dont b mad bcuz ur 2 poor to afford 1 of these sick mounts raufelmao". Like most mounts, this one wasn't even a trophy signifying any kind of accomplishment or hard work... I'm reluctant to use the word 'immersion' after it's been meme-tized, but yea, ruined my immersion.

And that was the day I lost my faith in the invisible hand of human rationality.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dislike even a cosmetic cash shop. I remember in WoW when they released that $25 Celestial Steed mount, I went to orgrimmar and everyone was fucking riding one. People were making fun of them and the typical response was: "LAL dont b mad bcuz ur 2 poor to afford 1 of these sick mounts raufelmao". Like most mounts, this one wasn't even a trophy signifying any kind of accomplishment or hard work... I'm reluctant to use the word 'immersion' after it's been meme-tized, but yea, ruined my immersion.

And that was the day I lost my faith in the invisible hand of human rationality.
Lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread