Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Remove exp penalty burdens?
Yes, see more tanks and play what I want 58 52.73%
No, my poopsock wants 68% more exp for myself and my group 52 47.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy.

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 12-24-2019, 07:06 PM
Sarnak

Are you sure there is a shortage? I play a warrior and I am rarely the only tank in a group, also rangers and monks can tank ok in classic

fwiw war becomes more popular when Kunark hits, I guess SK / Pal not so much though
Old 12-24-2019, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

Agreed, there's no shortage... I've gone without groups because there's too many tanks already and I'm not the only one lfg.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Can we get rid of this xp penalty so we see more tanks?
Also...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-25-2019, 12:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenk317 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, exp penalties are applied before the exp gets split. So with one hybrid in your group. The whole group is getting 40% less per kill.
That's not at all how the xp penalty works.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really Rangers are the only ones that don't carry enough utility to justify the penalty, unless they're tanking. Which surprisingly they do ok with that role in classic.
Hey now. It's easy to paint a target on a specific class or a subset of classes without any other context. Last night I was puller, DPS, and crowd control for respawn.

I mean, why not take a hard look at that Wizard 3 levels above the group average that's nuking a few times once every 5 minutes too, in that case?

The "hybrid XP penalty" is not much different than having someone a level or two above you in the group unless they've got their next tier of spells.

If you want to min/max to the extreme, make sure everyone in the group is at the lowest level they can still get XP with you, kill the mobs somewhat efficiently, and none are hybrids.

Where do you draw the line?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 12-25-2019, 04:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one should suffer 40% less exp per kill because a Ranger of all things (for example)
*taps forehead* can't suffer exp penalty if the ranger dies every pull.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Fire Giant

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait a second, you’re telling me a class/race with an exp penalty gets it transferred to whatever group they’re in??
Surprise. Ever wonder why your exp suddenly moves slower that day and swear it was better the day before in a same-pace group? #expPenaltiesEqualsRacism /s
Last edited by mischief419; 12-26-2019 at 08:33 AM..
Old 12-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Absolutely false, it amazes me that there’s a new thread perpetuating this myth on about a weekly basis. Hybrids require 40% more XP, monks 20%, INT casters 10%.

Assuming everyone is exactly the same level, hybrids get 1.4x, monks 1.2x, and INT caster 1.1x more XP than a non-penalty toon in same group. So 5 clerics/druids/shamans and a paladin in a group, the whole group is awarded full XP, but paladin gets 22% of it and each other gets 16%.

With all the incredible game content/mechanics knowledge in the p99 community, the number of people that cannot understand this is just incredible. All groups get the full XP value from the mob, and all groups use exactly the same formula to divvy up that XP; the penalties and bonuses are just modifiers to individual characters in the formula.

For relevant joke, see sig below.
The end result is still hybrids sucking up more of the XP, and so its advantageous to not invite them over a non hybrid. Unless you think you can kill X% more with the hybrid (you can't, because you're clearing ahead of spawns anyway).

It should work like WoW where every single character gets an equal static amount of XP, either solo or based on number of people in their group, and the experience required to level is the same for every character. But it's a convoluted system that makes no sense and I imagine is inherited from some ancient MUD 50 people played.
Closed Thread