Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 03-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Sarnak

Poh Tay Toe!
Old 03-02-2022, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would you do this though? Especially multiple times
For Jboots it was just different characters.

For everything else it was value. I just came back to the project like a month and a half ago, and selling a single manastone got me caught right back up. A few late nights where I click a button a few times an hour while watching shows was an easy way to set myself up for the rest of this Green. I'll do it again on Green 2.0.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

But like why? What’s the point of damaging your health like that for an emulated server of a 23 year old game?
Old 03-02-2022, 10:54 PM
Banned

Reminder that camping a manastone for three days would be no less sad or unhealthy if everquest just came out yesterday and this wasn't an emu.

And I'd still probably consider doing it, but then say nope fuck that cause I only have ankle length socks.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's just hope Green 2.0 comes with /list 2.0 (ie. random lists instead of "staying awake or trading accounts for days" lists).

The goal of this place (and Green in particular) is to be classic right? There's nothing classic about the above, but it's completely classic to have a random chance at a popular item.
And here we go with a debate that's been raging for literally over a decade. Sigh.

"Do we keep things strictly as they were in terms of game mechanics or tweak the game to alter player behavior so that it emulates how the game actually was in 1999?"

For whatever it's worth, I'm 100% on board with changes to make the game less toxic and more accessible. At this point, classic EQ is a solved game. It's grown stale. But you have a lot of imbeciles who are literally willing to defend camping stuff like manastones for dozens of hours, even though many of them share account info.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransurian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm 100% on board with changes to make the game less toxic and more accessible.
And this is also an age old argument and it basically created the modern class of mmo's that most of us play here to avoid.

I mean "toxicity" (annoyingly vague term btw) wouldn't just go away because there are instances, it would just take some other form. Fact is if the game has any competitive content at all, somebody is going to dominate it, and if the game has no competitive content it's extremely boring and generic.

Although I agree with you about the account sharing it does seem like that would undercut a lot of the satisfaction that you get by getting an item. I think the /list system for green actually worked pretty damn well, other than account sharing. Account sharing is a huge part of the reason any of those camps ever become multi-day, because most sane people are just not willing to do that or would naturally slip up by missing an afk check and be booted. That happened naturally all the time with the current system. If you got to the guise camp and you were #12 on the list, you almost certainly didn't have to actually wait for 11 other people to get it before you.
Last edited by Ooloo; 03-02-2022 at 11:45 PM..
Old 03-02-2022, 11:38 PM
Orc

Thank you my potato friend.
Meezak 9 Ogre Necromancer <Ancient Blood>
--------------------------------------------------------------
Green: INACTIVE
Blue: INACTIVE
Red: INACTIVE

Quarm is love Quarm is life
Old 03-02-2022, 11:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But like why? What’s the point of damaging your health like that for an emulated server of a 23 year old game?
Honestly, that's a hard question to answer that a lot of people playing here have to face. I mean, what's the point of playing this emulated project at all when it's just recreating an experience we've already done? Not really sure. But what I do know is that it's satisfying regardless if not ridiculous, and if you're already going to do something ridiculous you might as well go all-in and get the cool legacy shit.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:43 AM
Planar Protector

Allowing account sharing while on a list defeats the point of the list system that was implemented
Old 03-03-2022, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Allowing account sharing while on a list defeats the point of the list system that was implemented
Of course it does but there's really no good solution to it I can think of. Even if somebody is just taking turns irl with a different person playing their computer.

The list camps were definitely grueling but without them those items would just be even more unattainable for most people because ST or whoever would just completely monopolize the camps. For better or worse, the system did at least work to prevent that.