Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Default Rogean and Nilbog are Breaking the Law!

No, I don't mean by re-creating an old game ... I mean by making modifications to the EQ Emulator source code, and not publishing those modifications.

Backstory: Project 1999 (AFAIK) is based off the EQ Emulator project, https://github.com/EQEmu/Server. As you can see at that link, that project has chosen the (absolutely terrible) GPL3 license to open source their code: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob/master/LICENSE

That (again, terrible) license ... well I won't quote its legalese, but if you look at a summary of it on https://tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-ge...ense-v3-(gpl-3), you'll see:

Quote:
You may copy, distribute and modify the software as long as you track changes/dates in source files. Any modifications to or software including (via compiler) GPL-licensed code must also be made available under the GPL along with build & install instructions.
In other words, unless P99 has ripped literally every last line of EQ Emulator code out ... because EQ Emulator picked Richard Stallman's (awful) GPL3 as their license ... P99 is legally required to publish their modifications to the EQ Emulator software.

Two important notes: 1) I am not a lawyer, just a copyright law hobbyist, and 2) the GPL does not in any way cover the database; they have no obligation to open source that.

But still ... thoughts?

P.S. For what it's worth I'm not a fan of this: I'd like to keep the game's secrets ... secret. But the GPL3 is, by design, unforgiving. If you use GPL3 source code in any way, even on a server, you are legally obligated to share modifications to that code (unlike the much saner GPL2).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-10-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Old 12-10-2021, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

blah blah blah

just enjoy the server
Old 12-10-2021, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Cure the violation just like Team Biden cured those ballots!
Old 12-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Is OP trying to use some legal threat to shut down the server unless they release the source code?
Old 12-10-2021, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

I get that you are going for click baity with the title but it’s a bit close to staff bashy...

Personally i agree with your footnote and would be happy to stick to a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ type gentleman’s agreement regarding the source.

Sure would be helpful to have for bug reporting reasons ... but also (for better or worse) seeing past the matrix min max reasons ...

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 12-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

OP it sounds like what you're talking about is a doomsday machine.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Tried looking for this on the wiki, but it wasn't there. Perhaps OP should create a wikipage.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

I setup a thread on the daybreak forums

wvw.daybreakthreads.cat/AttentionDaybreak!!!THEFTofIPinProgress/SHUTDOWNP99-notSharingCode-IllegallyUsingSoftware
Old 12-10-2021, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get that you are going for click baity with the title but it’s a bit close to staff bashy...

Personally i agree with your footnote and would be happy to stick to a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ type gentleman’s agreement regarding the source.

Sure would be helpful to have for bug reporting reasons ... but also (for better or worse) seeing past the matrix min max reasons ...
I guess the title was click baity, but it's also accurate. The legal terms of the GPL3 are very clear, and R&N are not respecting them. Therefore they are breaking (copyright) law.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess the title was click baity, but it's also accurate. The legal terms of the GPL3 are very clear, and R&N are not respecting them. Therefore they are breaking (copyright) law.
Autism intensifies.
Closed Thread