Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 04-05-2022, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My links speak for themselves. I edited out "wide", as that was obviously not the case in the instances I linked. The point stands that greater than 50% of responders would prefer post-classic content.

If the devs decided to put in a poll that you had to respond to when you logged in I'm willing to bet a large pile of plat the post-classic content would win by an even larger margin than represented by these forum polls.

~edit~
eqravenprince you need to learn to read the data from the links you posted, all but one of them supports my conclusion not yours.

~2nd edit~
actually sorry I misread one, they all support my conclusion, every link you posted lol
Sorry I missed all your edits. You originally posted and apparently still think that people want Luclin by a wide margin. I was right, you were wrong, it was a mixed bag of results not a wide margin as you continue to believe. Post a new poll to get new results, maybe you'll be right on the new poll. I've been with p99 from the start and my experience here tells me that the majority did not like Luclin back in the day, I don't see that changing. However, with that being said, it's possible we get custom content which has been supported.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Again I don't really understand what argument you are trying to make. I don't care about how easy it is to do anything in Vanilla vs Kunark era, I am just talking about how it is most fun.

Best in slot item like cloak of flames is very difficult to obtain in era as it is best in slot for all melee and one of the best droppable haste items forever basically.

Ivy etched on the other hand is an enjoyable quest, a very rewarding experience that doesn't get cock blocked by big guilds so much, same with trueshot longbow. You can get near best in slot items in Vanilla era all on your own or with a couple of friends and be ready for some planar raiding.

You don't really need platinum for anything except fletching components and you will have plenty just from grinding through the levels, there is very little you need to buy if you choose to progress in the game organically, and this is extra easy during vanilla era where most items drop in pretty easy to get spots.

The big money plat camps are mostly in LGUK, frenzied ghoul, arch magus, ghoul executioner, froglok king, this is where you start getting cock blocked as a group of level 50's can handle these camps pretty easily once familiar with the zone. But they are obtainable and a lot easier to get your hands on than say a fungus covered scale tunic where its like a permanent mafia run camp handling operation (one blue / green) for the fat stacks of plat it earns you.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Personally if there were a "Classic Vanilla Only" server, I'd play that for the rest of my life lol. I really enjoy the balance of that era - weapons aren't so strong that melee DPS outperforms nukers to the point of them being worthless, mobs aren't so strong that Charming is almost a must for efficiently grinding through mobs, and end-game gear isn't so strong that twinking with it trivializes the whole game. It's frustrating when I came back to blue in Velious (and now, Green in Velious) and every group had so much damage and HP that as a cleric or wizard I felt basically useless. There was no tension in groups, just CH and everything is fine. Just auto-attack and everything melts. No decision making or crazy moments, just mindless grinding. I've so many memories from crazy groups almost wiping but scraping by in classic green, and i'll probably never forget them.

The gear progression in Classic is great, you work your way up from trashy cloth to platemail, and having + stats is a luxury because it's not really super needed in classic. The content is beatable by working together with other people, which is the point of an MMO. Giving a lowbie a SSOY isn't remotely close to giving a lowbie a T-Staff, for example.

Planar gear being gated by being 46+ as well as no-drop is great too because it mitigates the problem of twinking while still giving higher end players something to strive for - especially with something like Sky in Classic, god that's painful but gearing everyone up with the absolute best Planar gear they can get, it's possible.

There are problems in Classic for sure - The endgame can be really bottlenecky, only having SolB and Lower Guk to hunt in kinda sucks, but if it were only Classic forever maybe people would explore grouping in Kedge more often as a third option. Only having Naggy/Vox to target for a long time sucks, too, but that makes that gear all the more prestigious and desirable (Planes fix that issue nicely, though)

Classic to me is the most fun, and I think a lot of people feel that way - If green is any indication, player numbers were absurdly good in Classic, dropped off a good bit with Kunark, and have really fallen off with Velious. Both of those expansions add a lot of content for the higher end player, but that gear always funnels down to the alts and lowbies and causes a major problem - the "new" expansions are focused for higher level players but the gear funnels down to the lower end / casual playerbase and ruins the original / vanilla game and people quit, and most people who play aren't interested in raiding or doing endgame stuff so Velious doesn't offer them much anyway.

Personally my partner and I are discussing what we're goin to do in Green 2.0 as opposed to playing anymore. We're over green, and don't want to go back to blue. Classic was special, and we're just waiting for that. I'd love to hear some word on what's going to happen / when / if, so I can take full advantage of that special 12-ish months of time.
Last edited by LHK; 04-05-2022 at 03:45 PM..
Old 04-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Vanilla classic just so good. I wish there were a server locked at each xpac

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 04-05-2022, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

LHK Yep I agree.

I will add that the excitement of a new server would dissipate whether or not kunark and velious got released. It's fun being there when everyone is scrappy and once it gets top heavy the experience kinda concludes a bit. That's just how it goes.

A server locked at each expansion would be cool. That is a lot of servers to be operating though.

It could be a way to cancel the server cycle (merge) thing. You can start at vanilla and play till you're done and then take a 1 way trip to the next expansion, and then take a 1 way trip to the next expansion if you want.

So new players can always choose where they want to start and there won't need to be big server merge events.

LHK I have reasonable hope that the next timeline progression server on p99 will be a PVP server again, as the pvp project 1999 has been on its deathbed for a very long time, and does offer a unique playing experience in MMO's in general and eq specifically.

About half the items in the game gain relevance when PVP is enabled, its a lot more dynamic way of looking at the gear and items and your character.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Melee has such a hard time soloing in Classic too, far moreso than most casters, especially the ones that have pets or can root rot. With banded and weapons that are decent by Classic standards, by level 20 or so you can't kill more than a single Blue without some downtime, and if you pull two or more, you either zone, or you die.

It's "too" difficult for pure melees and hybrids, short of Bards, to play solo because of how weak the gear is, but nobody will want to group with the hybrids because of the exp penalties. So Rangers, Paladins and SK's just have to go hungry?

There was too much class elitism in Classic and Kunark, too much bias against Hybrids, everyone only wanted pures like Wizards, Warriors, Clerics, etc.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

Stating facts about everquest class balance doesn't change anything.

Melees and Hybrid Melees have their upsides and their downsides.

During Vanilla things are stacked one way, during kunark things are stacked another, and during velious things are different yet again.

I think vanilla is the coolest and most fun, and my favorite classes are melees.

Yeah, melees can never solo as well as casters, that just happens to be the way everquest ended up being.

Anyone not grouping with hybrids due to EXP penalties are idiots, join or create a guild. Yeah the EXP penalties don't actually make a lot of sense in 2022 when we know how things stack up, but in 1999 being a guy who could fight with blades and cast spells, the EXP penalty was easily worth it.

And you will have 10 years to get to level 50 so no worries on the level up speed.

And you will have plenty of money for food and drink.

Play the game however you want to play it. I recommend playing the character you want to be right from the get go instead of grinding through a caster to get money for your other character, but I am more of a role player than a lot of people in 2022 playing p99.

But don't bring the have / have not stuff from real life to project 1999. Make an enchanter necro druid shaman bard mage if you want an easier time of leveling and collecting money. Make a melee if you want to be a bad ass melee.

Are p99 players comparing eachothers in game 401k's and feeling regretful if they didn't get enough plat in X amount of play time? If you play it like a game you will have fun.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 04-05-2022 at 08:07 PM..
Old 04-05-2022, 08:24 PM
Planar Protector

Time is plat.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:57 PM
Sarnak

Bring back the blood, sweat & tears. Bring back pure classic. Fighting in rags how Brad intended.

Fuck Kunark, fuck Velious. Game just gets filled with super twinks and overpowered end game gear. It's the death of fun, meaningful PVP.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 04-05-2022, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bring back the blood, sweat & tears. Bring back pure classic. Fighting in rags how Brad intended.

Fuck Kunark, fuck Velious. Game just gets filled with super twinks and overpowered end game gear. It's the death of fun, meaningful PVP.
It's "fun" having to fight tooth and nail with nothing but banded armor and fine steel weapons all the way to 50, having a single blue clobber you within an inch of your life every one on one encounter?