Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Screenshots

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Default /viewport aka looking up without looking up

I finally worked out a way to actually be able to see those dumb bloody bird horses which make it a nightmare to actually fight things, especially in sky!

Everquest will always give you the same horizontal field of vision, regardless of your screen size or ratio. As such, to fill the vertical field of vision it will just give you extra (or less) to fill the available pixels.

I was chatting to someone who had an extra wide monitor, and it left them with a very shallow vertical field of vision. I joked they should use /viewport to make a screen within their screen which was less narrow, then just fillup the dead space at the side(s) with UI elements.

Obviously I then immediately tried this out myself.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

See how far I can look up and down!!

I look forward to being able to see what I am fighting next time I visit sky.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

To give an idea of the vertical field of view benefits of viewport,

here is a giant bat from native resolution (1360) vs 640, 440 and 240.

As you can see the horizontal field of view remains constant, but the vertical viewing space's relative increase makes the vertical view significantly larger!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: I done messed up the composite image! put the 640 in twice and skipped out the 440, but you get the point! comparing the first (can only see feet) second (can see whole bat) and fourth (can see lots of ceiling and floor) pictures.
Last edited by Jimjam; 08-09-2019 at 05:15 PM..
Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Planar Protector

When I upgraded to a widescreen monitor years ago I ran into this issue myself (even made a forum post if I recall) and in the end I chose to keep playing in a narrow-screen resolution for that reason: Using a wide screen resolution effectively reduces how much you can see, albeit the things you CAN see will look a little larger.

Danth
Old 08-16-2019, 05:52 AM
Large Rat

sweet, never thought of that, back in classic you even had this terrible UI surrounding your viewport on the already tiny 4:3 1024x768 resolution
Old 09-27-2019, 11:01 PM
Orc

I've been seeing these resolution and /viewport posts for a few days now and just cannot figure out what I am missing.

I swap between 4:3 and Widescreen and the bottom and top of screen are missing a strip. I swap back and forth between my original resolution and the 4:3 one and it just doesn't seem like much is lost.

My desktop/monitor is 2560 x 1440. What resolution and/or viewport settings should I try to really highlight the advantages?
Closed Thread