Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's really simple. Green has been quite popular and continues to be quite successful. Even compared with Blue.

Devs didn't initially anticipate the need for Teal until after Green's launch. But due to Green's popularity they adjusted on the fly and innovated a solution that will matter down the line. They know a hell of a lot more about a popular server launch than they did before. They learned from their mistakes. (Ie. Telling the community ahead of time about their plans. They won't do that again.)

Green 2.0 will happen. Expecting it this year is only something only someone bad at math would do. The server is coming when it makes sense for the devs. Not us.

Server launches are probably the most time intensive part of being a dev here. One of the worst parts about being a dev here is dealing with threads such as this. If we were paying customers that would be one thing. We aren't. The entitlement of players demanding more from devs on a free server is a visible cue to the devs to stay away.

This is why devs went and remain radio silent. If they communicate something the community doesn't like that would make their lives harder. Why would they do that?
I agree with u, make sense but Im not demanding or complaining, just wanted to know if anyone had more info than me. Ty for cooperate
Old 08-02-2023, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devorador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with u, make sense but Im not demanding or complaining, just wanted to know if anyone had more info than me. Ty for cooperate
For sure OP. There was no intention on my part to be harsh to you directly. The devs have a five digit player base and that's a lot of people to to try and please. As far as I can tell they'd prefer not to even try. This is a labor of love for them. Managing the expectations of that many people (five digits, possibly six if accounted over time) is not worth the effort.

To answer your original question, starting next year I would check in once every couple months if you aren't currently playing. I won't make a guess as to when then next server will be other than to reiterate my confidence that it won't be this year.
Last edited by Seducio; 08-02-2023 at 01:02 PM..
Old 08-02-2023, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For sure OP. There was no intention on my part to be harsh to you directly. The devs have a five digit player base and that's a lot of people to to try and please. As far as I can tell they'd prefer not to even try. This is a labor of love for them. Managing the expectations of that many people (five digits, possibly six if accounted over time) is not worth the effort.

To answer your original question, starting next year I would check in once every couple months if you aren't currently playing. I won't make a guess as to when then next server will be other than to reiterate my confidence that it won't be this year.
You mean 4 digits?
Old 08-02-2023, 01:41 PM
Banned

Five. The world is a vast place. When you sleep. Folks are playing. The server runs 24 hours a day. Humans can't keep up.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:46 PM
Banned

To be clear I am referring to total players currently playing with regard to five digits. As in more than 10000 players currently login to p99 every month.

Concurrent players would be what you said, four digits. That is number of player logged in at one given time.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:41 PM
Banned

Red 2.0 is due out on November
Old 08-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Seducio, we get it, we have no right to demand anything and are here at the whim of the dev's kindly volunteered time and resources. That being acknowledged, anticipating Green 2.0 may release this year isn't something only someone bad at math would do, it's something someone who has listened to the devs could do.

From the original Green announcement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
Green Lifetime
The green server will, at a time yet to be decided, eventually merge into blue and start over again. This merge will not happen until at least 6 months after the last patch in velious (No earlier than January 2023).
6 months from Jan 2023 is right about now, so it's entirely conceivable for it to happen in the next 6 months. That is not to say we have any right to read that and then demand or even expect a prompt release, it'll happen when it happens, and we're lucky we were even given a tentative timeline all those years ago. My guess is they may still be working on upgrading and replacing all the aging hardware in a sensible and economical way. One way or the other, it's nothing but speculation. As much as I'd like to see blue reinvigorated, I don't see any reason to rush any merger or anything, as Green still has a very healthy population.

I would love to eventually see this happen, however:

Quote:
Blue Server
The blue server will always be open and remain at its current point in the timeline, with possibly some custom content being added to keep things interesting in a 'classically inspired' style.
Last edited by Lune; 08-02-2023 at 05:11 PM..
Old 08-02-2023, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

I would be really surprised if over 10k individual people are logging into P99 each month. Even looking at the Discord numbers doesn't seem to indicate that
Old 08-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Banned

Understood. I get this perspective. If all we have to go on is the devs posting from the past right at server release then I'd be right there with you.

The thing that changed what the devs were planning though was the need for Teal. It may have nearly doubled the work load for server release than they had originally anticipated. On the bright side it gave them real world practice in merging servers. They are ready technically for Green to merge into Blue if they still plan to do that.

With the added popularity, the temporary deployment server of Teal, and eventual remerge of Green and Teal the most dramatic outcome of this added unanticipated stress load was dev radio silence. As in they haven't updated us since then.

If you think that their original messaging is still their plan, then I could see why you might think there would be another server deployed by p99 devs this year. I think Green's continued popularity has pushed back their original plans.

Only time will tell.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Highly likely they will also try very hard not to step on TLP's toes, Oakwynd just saw a Kunark release, which raises the index of suspicion for a winter Green 2.0 release in my mind, considering TLP's typically release in summer/late spring.