Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only time you should use instruments is when sitting back singing the songs that require instruments or during downtime.

Next time you see a bard sitting back not meleeing its just some burnout who fetishized the idea of bards because they seen them on raids doing that thinking "oh god this job is so easy i can do it" and end up giving all bards a bad name. Its this or they are slow to switch melee and instruments either because of age or lack of a proper UI that they can change on the fly

believe me that extra 10 str the 2-3 others in the group get from using a drum wont be greater than you sitting back with a flute in your ass.

The level 20 mana song is a huge range, learn to take advantage of that.
What's a leveling bard's melee dps? Is it double digit? Lol.

Bards are kings of adapting to the group and the situation in question. Maybe sometimes melee dps is best. But I think as often as not, rocking instruments and dedicating to twisting is just as good or better.

Party is light on heals? There's a bunch of casters in camp? You need snares, mezzes, charms, dispels? Only the most tryhard of minmaxers is going to be swapping instruments to manage that stuff while also trying to melee. And most of those won't be able to handle it efficiently.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 04-02-2019 at 07:10 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Fire Giant

Melee DPS is absurdly pathetic, you're much better off making sure the mana is pumping and the melee are hasted and the mob is slowed/mezd. Whipping out your breath of harmony for 9 dps is just being vain
Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

Troxx who is your bard?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 PM
Kobold

What level did you guys get Hand to Hand to 100? I think that is the true answer for whether or not you are a tryhard doing instrument swapping + melee in groups in your 20s.

Just checked my oldest logs. For me it was level 35.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troxx who is your bard?
Troxx is my bard. I rarely play him these days. I finished out to 60 shortly after Velious went live and I ran out of non-raid content to so.

We grouped in DN on my paladin Mithromir.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

Ahhh cool man!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

We slaughtered many Paebala on that day
Old 04-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

Had to jump on the pile and say anybody telling you to focus on meleeing is bad. There are a lot of bardlings out there who get tunnel vision while meleeing and ignore their amazing toolkit. You wont get to really enjoy hack-and-slashing-keyboard-targeting-to-CC-and-impress-everyone until you get Epic or primary slot instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could you guys discuss Highsun next? I feel like it doesn't get enough love as a completely unique mechanic for Bards.
Highsun+tracking is great for when you need to track down placeholders and spawn points, or just to punt an annoying mob buzzing at you. It also works on a surprising number of raid targets, so have it mem'd for when you lose FTE and feel like taking a break.
Last edited by Crawdad; 04-03-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Sarnak

Does highsun memblur or will the mob teleport back to spawn and then aggro?
Old 04-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Planar Protector

It can memblur if it leashes
Closed Thread