Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-23-2023, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In Chardok for some reason my graphics card sometimes freezes when I slow and malo quickly. Old computer, older zone. I don’t know why. 200 people in ToV not an issue but I’m cursed farming crappy spawns in Dok.

So I torp and stand with my face away from the npc. Still doesn’t matter. My slow is probably interrupted a quarter of the time and if so I just cast again. I’ve had slow resist multiple times before even with malo. If you aren’t able to survive a few combat rounds it’s probably not worth killing.

FSI is the biggest misnomer anyways. You aren’t immunity to stun, you are immune to bashes. Even if you could back into a wall this would make you only better in 1/3rd of the rare interrupt scenarios. I could make up a reason why it really matters, justify my pick in race, I just can’t remember a time when a bash kept a torp or slow from landing and I died.

I CAN remember a lot of times a non-snared alchemist walked off and trained me dead though. Is the snare neck a game changer? No, paying attention, stacking poison dots and having immobilize up would have fixed that.

It’s an easy class. Don’t overthink it. The main difference between what people kill and what they don’t kill is having the tools and the gag reflex to canni for half an hour. There is skill but let’s not conflate things…it’s not a tough class to play. It’s ok to like simple classes, I enjoy my paladin and mage too.
I agree, there is no reason to overthink it. The people who have these magical ideas of what Regeneration can do for you are doing just that[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

FSI is better than Regen when you have Torpor. "Better" doesn't mean game changing, it just means better.

Regen is better before you get Torpor. The choice between Ogre and Troll/Iksar is when you want your racials to benefit you. If you want to min/max, the assumption is you will hit level 60. So FSI is better for min/maxing. If you just want to have an easier time leveling, pick Troll for Regen + JBB + snare neck.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-23-2023 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-23-2023, 03:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FSI is better than Regen when you have Torpor. "Better" doesn't mean game changing, it just means better.
I know I said it in one of the past threads, I'll say it again: This is the important bit. "Better" in this case means something on the order of a couple per cent advantage versus a barbarian. It's enough to "win by a nose" as they say in racing, without being enough of an advantage to matter all that much in actual practice. I kind of waffle between ogre or troll as "best" shaman race. Ask Monday I might say troll, ask Tuesday I might say ogre. In practice they're probably tied overall just with slightly different periods where they're at their very best. No shaman race choice can actually go wrong because the class's baseline is so good regardless.

I asked the wife and she feels barbarian is best due to faction convenience and polar bear hat. Those reasons are as good as any given you'll all be able to do the same stuff anyway.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 01-23-2023 at 03:26 PM..
Old 01-23-2023, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

i mean lets face the music...its iksar because PD robe exists
Old 01-23-2023, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Nitpicking shaman traits is some rarified air. It’s complaining about ride quality with your Bentley compared to your Rolls. Must be nice to have such a sensitive backside.

I think threads like these do more damage than good. More intimidation for new players. The more classes I play the less I like any particular one or believe it to be “the best”. It’s just another char to park for raids or to help folks with.

The best thing you can do is level to 60. At 60 the best thing you can do is figure out how to play and get rid of the bad habits. Oh and get of those charok slow sticks for stuff that really matters. Your stupid clicky spear won’t give you a yolo swing to slow something 70%.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think threads like these do more damage than good. More intimidation for new players.
If nothing else we can help dispell the notion that the ogre racial makes a player totally immune to all spell interrupts. I've ran into numerous people in-game over the years who actually thought that. The limiting factors for most players in this game amounts to patience, motivation, and skill. The wife and I have done stuff on our thurgadin-equivalent characters that a lot or most people in temple veeshan-level stuff never do, not because they can't, but because they don't care or don't know. Likewise Shamwowi solo'd a burrower on his shaman awhile back when I have not, because I don't feel like fussing with that level of tedium.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Nitpicking shaman traits is some rarified air. It’s complaining about ride quality with your Bentley compared to your Rolls. Must be nice to have such a sensitive backside.

I think threads like these do more damage than good. More intimidation for new players. The more classes I play the less I like any particular one or believe it to be “the best”. It’s just another char to park for raids or to help folks with.

The best thing you can do is level to 60. At 60 the best thing you can do is figure out how to play and get rid of the bad habits. Oh and get of those charok slow sticks for stuff that really matters. Your stupid clicky spear won’t give you a yolo swing to slow something 70%.
It's not about nitpicking, it's simply about informing new players. If a player wants to min/max their Shaman, they will want to know what is best. It's really that simple. You can't change your race after creation, and characters take a long time to level.

Some people like min/maxing, some people like fashion, some people don't care. None of those options are wrong, or should be discouraged.

The problem is some people who prefer Regeneration have magical ideas about it, and they confuse new players by trying to downplay how FSI works.

Neither racial is complicated, so I am not sure why they want to do this. It's just hurting new players.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-23-2023 at 03:47 PM..
Old 01-23-2023, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If nothing else we can help dispell the notion that the ogre racial makes a player totally immune to all spell interrupts. I've ran into numerous people in-game over the years who actually thought that.
Ok fair point [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

I like to remind ogre warriors in the middle of their neckbeard grooming if they went gnome they would have 40% spell haste on tap 24/7.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is some people who prefer Regeneration have magical ideas about it, and they confuse new players by trying to downplay how FSI works.
The ogre racial is the worst one in the game for people getting "magical" ideas about its effectiveness. I recall, for example, one ogre shadow knight who marveled at my human. How could my character possibly cast spells during combat? It's not frontal immune! Dude actually thought it was impossible for a non-ogre to cast while in melee. He was more extreme than most, but overall that racial gets blown so far out of proportion all we can do is laugh. I liked your efforts awhile back to try to put some hard numbers on its actual effect.

Danth
Old 01-23-2023, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The ogre racial is the worst one in the game for people getting "magical" ideas about its effectiveness. I recall, for example, one ogre shadow knight who marveled at my human. How could my character possibly cast spells during combat? It's not frontal immune! Dude actually thought it was impossible for a non-ogre to cast while in melee. He was more extreme than most, but overall that racial gets blown so far out of proportion all we can do is laugh. I liked your efforts awhile back to try to put some hard numbers on its actual effect.

Danth
Specifically on these forums at least, I disagree. People think Regeneration does things it shouldn't, which doesn't make sense considering it is simply an addition or multiplication problem. Trolls get 4800 HP per hour standing at level 60, assuming they never hit max HP. That's it. This means people either have weird ideas, or are trying to defend their race choice for some reason.

Conversely, I don't think I have had someone vehemently stick to some silly opinion about how FSI works. People generally just ask about it, and thank you for the explanation. I agree FSI is a bit more complicated to understand, but I don't see nearly as many people claim it to do strange things and then stick to those ideas vehemently. I do see this with Regeneration.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:59 PM
Banned

Back in '99 one of my buddies tried to convince me that FSI existed in real life too.

So he decided to chub up to prove it. He gained a few pounds and challenged me.

"Hit me. Now that I got some fat built up, hit me."

So I punched him in the face.