Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 12:27 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raved [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah yeah forgot about the monk hes 42. The only thing I have for mine is the fungi and the non visi stuff. I would need to buy visi armor and weapons
pretty sure you can solo to 55+ with just a fungi.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t see how you can make an argument that SK is going to solo better than a Pally unless you want to fear kite which sucks to do and also means you can’t solo in any dungeons. .
Deepwater Breastplate is a great item that not everyone will have. Probably most will settle for the still-nice Deepwater Helm.

Beyond that, I've played both classes at high level extensively and I feel the Shadow Knight solo's more capably between the two. Yes, the Paladin, once in a camp, can hold a few dungeon areas more easily. On the other hand the SK has a much easier time traveling around the world, much easier time getting INTO a camp, can go AFK more safely, and doesn't die as often. At high levels (52+ and especially 58+) the Shadow Knight can deal quite a lot more damage than the Paladin thanks to its pet. Higher damage doesn't just mean faster killing of experience monsters, it also means faster cash-farming of greens. Unlike the Paladin the SK has actual burst damage available in the form of its damage spells (and harm touch to a lesser extent) if it needs to kill something quicker. The Shadow Knight is the better overall solo package. There are some specific situations where the Paladin outperforms it, but on balance I enjoy my Shadow Knight much more when I'm online by myself.

Shadow Knight and Monk have a lot of overlap, with the Monk being more offense-focused. Since EQ usually favors offense that's the class I typically recommend to folks who have no particular preference between the two otherwise. The Shadow Knight is less gear dependent due to its spellbook, doesn't need to fuss with click items quite as much, doesn't need to limit its weight, and has an easier time in the tank role due to on-demand aggro (irrelevant when solo!). I like the Shadow Knight's convenience and consider that a fair trade for reduced kill rate. Min-max'ers look askance at notions such as "convenience" so the Monk is generally more popular; in addition the Monk benefits more from very high-end equipment (north Temple Veeshan stuff, etc) and a lot of players pick their character with visions of end-game in mind even if they'll never actually make it there. With regular-quality equipment I find the two classes about equivalent in overall power. Nonetheless, the Monk'll usually level faster if alone so that's the one I commonly recommend to players who ask.

I don't discuss Ranger much only because I have less experience with it, having never leveled one to very high levels. The animal restriction on its fear coupled with its lower armor rating and outdoor restriction on Harmony makes it a bit dreary during the middle levels. Dedicated Ranger players suggest the class can do quite well if a player sticks with it past that point.

Danth
Old 11-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Deepwater Breastplate is a great item that not everyone will have. Probably most will settle for the still-nice Deepwater Helm.

Beyond that, I've played both classes at high level extensively and I feel the Shadow Knight solo's more capably between the two. Yes, the Paladin, once in a camp, can hold a few dungeon areas more easily. On the other hand the SK has a much easier time traveling around the world, much easier time getting INTO a camp, can go AFK more safely, and doesn't die as often. At high levels (52+ and especially 58+) the Shadow Knight can deal quite a lot more damage than the Paladin thanks to its pet. Higher damage doesn't just mean faster killing of experience monsters, it also means faster cash-farming of greens. Unlike the Paladin the SK has actual burst damage available in the form of its damage spells (and harm touch to a lesser extent) if it needs to kill something quicker. The Shadow Knight is the better overall solo package. There are some specific situations where the Paladin outperforms it, but on balance I enjoy my Shadow Knight much more when I'm online by myself.

Shadow Knight and Monk have a lot of overlap, with the Monk being more offense-focused. Since EQ usually favors offense that's the class I typically recommend to folks who have no particular preference between the two otherwise. The Shadow Knight is less gear dependent due to its spellbook, doesn't need to fuss with click items quite as much, doesn't need to limit its weight, and has an easier time in the tank role due to on-demand aggro (irrelevant when solo!). I like the Shadow Knight's convenience and consider that a fair trade for reduced kill rate. Min-max'ers look askance at notions such as "convenience" so the Monk is generally more popular; in addition the Monk benefits more from very high-end equipment (north Temple Veeshan stuff, etc) and a lot of players pick their character with visions of end-game in mind even if they'll never actually make it there. With regular-quality equipment I find the two classes about equivalent in overall power. Nonetheless, the Monk'll usually level faster if alone so that's the one I commonly recommend to players who ask.

I don't discuss Ranger much only because I have less experience with it, having never leveled one to very high levels. The animal restriction on its fear coupled with its lower armor rating and outdoor restriction on Harmony makes it a bit dreary during the middle levels. Dedicated Ranger players suggest the class can do quite well if a player sticks with it past that point.

Danth
Ranger is the easiest if you have access to good gear and sky cloak/epic. After 50 having 91% haste and 50%slow is pretty dumb. Plus chloro and fungi
Old 11-19-2020, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

I could solo hard mobs outdoors for days with bow, dots, roots, and those root swords in classic pre-50 on my ranger. So take that for what its worth. It's not as direct and fast as fear kiting or standing there and punching it until it dies, but it was fun.

Think if you really like tradeskills rangers are probably going to be great fun. I didn't tradeskill on mine, but it would have been nice with all the track, forage, sneak, hide etc built right in.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah I did what mag described for two rangers in live and it works fine. It isn't as good as an SK who can dungeon crawl better and fear kite any mob in the game and feign when things get dicey.

I don't think this was a discussion about who is best at soloing at the classes peak geared up. It felt like it was which one is best to solo on your own from 1 to 60 with regular gear progression, which I think has the SK in a better place at least because you can do more things (versatile) and you can hold all the junk items you loot along the way.

Besides the deepwater breastplate which is a high end expensive item, the paladin is an inferior soloer even in undead dungeons where the SK matches the paladin and adds feign death and ogre racial benefits.

Any hybrid gets the job done, and the monk. We can agree on that. Take your pick. Rogue and warrior are hardmode.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:12 AM
Kobold

In terms of soloing bosses in end game content, who does the best out of the hybrids? I think it's pretty clear pally after level 46 does remarkably well with the deepwater helm in fighting normal enemies and chaining through them with no downtime, but I was watching some youtube videos from Wickid with his SK and was wondering how paladins and rangers fare in fighting similarly named mobs? Would be interesting to know! can rangers actually face tank high end content solo like Wickid's SK did in those videos?
Old 11-22-2020, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

I would say can you face tank the fire giants in solb, that is the winning crown tranix achievement goal in ever quest and should be everyone's end game goal.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Pali/sk tanks just as well for bosses... Same combat table, same gear quality. But I would give pali an edge... Most taps are useless, boss resist them all, thanks to ivhandir hoop nerf, while paladin heals work just perfectly...
Old 11-22-2020, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In terms of soloing bosses in end game content, who does the best out of the hybrids? I think it's pretty clear pally after level 46 does remarkably well with the deepwater helm in fighting normal enemies and chaining through them with no downtime, but I was watching some youtube videos from Wickid with his SK and was wondering how paladins and rangers fare in fighting similarly named mobs? Would be interesting to know! can rangers actually face tank high end content solo like Wickid's SK did in those videos?
Pally are arguably better vs named if they can get a named one on one due to their insane healing potential. That’s a big IF though. So much more room for error without FD some don’t want to bother without that luxury. Sks are still nasty with all their tapping capabilities and also if they can get a max pet out who can quad for 46 but that’s not always feasible.

I’ve played all 3 classes heavily twinked. If I’m 60 just wanting to go around and snipe nameds, I’d want to be sk. Pally easily the most fun to level and be social with though. Ranger will not be able to handle the same level of named but if my sole purpose was to just raid Id rather have one over sk/pally.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:39 PM
Kobold

What is the downtime like for an SK at the higher levels? (I wouldn't play either an iksar or a troll, too ugly for me) Are we talking like 10+ minutes of sitting on your butt? Not confident I can ever afford a fungi
Closed Thread