Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:01 AM
Planar Protector

u leveled up too fast silly
Old 10-29-2019, 12:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Research pages I believe are linked to different zones. You might want to start asking around and working on getting these spells. It sucks if you are in that top percentile because you will need to get the research materials yourself, but that's part of the deal when you choose a research based class.
After seeing so many mage / necro only groups this weekend... This news is Oh sooo delightful
Old 10-29-2019, 12:11 AM
Kobold

i mean god forbid a mmo actually tries to balance a overpowered class like mage with a unique challenge, id rather they just nerfed mages/necros down to the level of every other class then let them have their pets, but i really dont have any sympathy for the gods of norrath soloing and grouping untill raiding tbh
Old 10-29-2019, 12:16 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i mean god forbid a mmo actually tries to balance a overpowered class like mage with a unique challenge, id rather they just nerfed mages/necros down to the level of every other class then let them have their pets, but i really dont have any sympathy for the gods of norrath soloing and grouping untill raiding tbh
I’d have preferred that too, makes sense to me.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagglebaron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the other research classes can carry on reasonably well without their research spells, no? A mage without a pet is just pointless.
On Blue when I first joined the server I rolled a druid and took it to 19 for self ports to get a feel for the game again (it had been a decade since I had last played) and knew that I would need it as a utility slave for the main character I wanted to try. I settled on a Necromancer and forced myself to research all of the spells that I wanted that merchants didn't offer. The druid could easily visit cities that were close to key zones for word drops and purchase them doing casual checks for shopping. I then had the Necromancer sacrifice cash to raise research skill and simply attempted combines when I was 2 levels over the needed level to cast the spell.

In the case of a necromancer, the class is so powerful that waiting an extra 2 levels wasn't a horrible fate for key spells like pets, and I was constantly selling spells in EC to recover cash I had spent. The level 24 necro pet and intensify death + harmshield & hungry earth sold like candy even at a stiff markup. You have numerous extra character slots and unlimited account creation, so I'd make level 1 alts in towns and do periodic checks. The downside would be getting your character with the money over to make the buy - that's where the druid slave came in handy.

Edit - the cost of finally capping research at level 50 was close to 1.4k pp. So if you go this route and pay for all of your research skill increases, do NOT sell your spells in the market cheap.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:25 AM
Sarnak

Reading this thread makes me glad I am playing a Druid and Cleric on Green. All I have to do is visit vendors or EC tunnel to get my spells [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Kobold

Yet there's already a 30 mage making due
Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Mages get at least 1 of their pets every spell level. The other 2-3 are researched at each spell level. Mages were historically one of the classes that were the most reliant on research, it was kind of their flavor that set them apart from other classes. With great power came a great hurdle to overcome to claim that power. The upside is that research only spells sell for quite a bit and it’s a worthwhile trade skill. You can skill up on researching other classes spells too and make your money back and even turn a profit. Welcome to classic, nothing comes easy, not even spells.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:40 AM
Fire Giant

I'm sorry you've run into a hiccup in your quest to race to 50 and farmlord by pushing literally 2 buttons.

There truly is no justice in this world.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sorry you've run into a hiccup in your quest to race to 50 and farmlord by pushing literally 2 buttons.

There truly is no justice in this world.
If you have actual counters to any points I’ve made, I really would like to hear them. Maybe I’m looking at this wrong, but my points seem valid. If you’re just here to troll (see what I did there), thanks for stopping in I guess.