Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Archery!!! Rangers have high skill with it....great access to bows (early on trueshot is plenty, and later the upgraded version just gives them more luxury in range....allowing them to do stuff like solo level 50 casters outdoors).

They get root at 15, which lets them root rot stuff easily with archery indoors. (Flame lick + their DD line of spells + archery is fairly good damage).

They kill a little slower than other classes this way....BUT they make up for it with no downtime and the ability to kill FAR FAR over their level (for normal exp hunting, it can be worth it to take down +8 level targets....takes longer, but the exp is pretty good).

Basically, in classic world....archery rangers are BEASTS in terms of power. They can casually kill just about everything...and the ability to self-sow and invis and a range of other utility spells makes them just great all around.

Like my level 7 ranger was going through karanas the other day....saw the ghoul messenger up (deep red, level 28 i think).....and I just shrugged and started shooting. Ran into someone else soon after who helped melee, but it was agro on me most the time from the damage I'd been doing (once i get flame lick, they make GREAT duo partners with a pet class to arrow kite stuff with).

I've played a lot of things, and archery has always been the most crazy in terms of breaking the rules of the game. "Oh, was that red? I didn't notice" type of power. Even necromancers and shamans need to watch their targets...
That a ranger can whittle down a red con in a zone with a lot of room to kite in doesn't make it the best solo class 1-50.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Panicnanimal only comesmout in velious for rangers.

So fear kiting is better. With FD it's even better
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers do have one option to solo very efficiently with animals. Snare it, panic it and whack it from behind. Rangers can also split camps when outside (harmony) and since they have sow, at least outside they are pretty safe.

As for being tanks, rangers obviously are less armoured than other melee classes. If healing is not an issue, rangers are (arguably) even better at generating aggro than SKs or pallies. Flame lick and snare are very good aggro spells, both very cheap. And rangers are the best at aggro kiting, if tanking is too dangerous (and enough space is available).

Even better at almost anything a ranger can do is a bard though.
No panic animal for rangers until velious
Old 11-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That a ranger can whittle down a red con in a zone with a lot of room to kite in doesn't make it the best solo class 1-50.
But it does make it one of the few classes that can do that effectively.

When fighting level appropriate things (stuff that won't resist spells) they ramp up a LOT in terms of speed of kills. Making exp flow faster than any other class (since there is no downtime).

It isn't just "ok, you can kill a red in an hour of slowly whittling it down"....it's much much more effective than that.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But it does make it one of the few classes that can do that effectively.

When fighting level appropriate things (stuff that won't resist spells) they ramp up a LOT in terms of speed of kills. Making exp flow faster than any other class (since there is no downtime).

It isn't just "ok, you can kill a red in an hour of slowly whittling it down"....it's much much more effective than that.
Lol.

If you had said "rangers are the best class for kiting noncasters in zones with tons of open space" then I wouldn't have disagreed with you. Although it'd be pretty reasonable to argue about bards or rangers in that situation.

But you didn't say that. You said rangers were the best soloers 1-50. How do you solo casters? How do you solo in dungeons? Right. You can't at all. You can hardly have the appelation of "best solo class" when you can't solo anything except the easiest mobs in the easiest zones, even if you can do some neat stuff with archery in those situations.

I'd be curious to see exactly (you know, logs or videos) how fast an X level ranger can kill a Y level red con with archery. I'm quite skeptical it is going to put them at a better exp rate over time than a well-played chanter or necro or some other classes.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-08-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Orc

I used to solo with my Paladin on live during the classic to Velious days all the time. Mostly in LGuk against the undead though. Soloing with a Paladin can be tough and I was lucky enough to have a Deepwater Helm. It can be done and it can be rewarding.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But you didn't say that. You said rangers were the best soloers 1-50. How do you solo casters? How do you solo in dungeons? Right. You can't at all. You can hardly have the appelation of "best solo class" when you can't solo anything except the easiest mobs in the easiest zones, even if you can do some neat stuff with archery in those situations.

I'd be curious to see exactly (you know, logs or videos) how fast an X level ranger can kill a Y level red con with archery. I'm quite skeptical it is going to put them at a better exp rate over time than a well-played chanter or necro or some other classes.
You can solo inside of dungeons....easily. Without much room. Root and back up a couple steps and go to town with arrows. But, again, without the downtime of other classes.

It isn't just killing "easy mobs in easy zones", it is a lot stronger than that.

I've leveled besides necros in their 30's with an archer (that had a bow the strength of a trueshot).....and I was easily passing them by with my ability to solo.

The thing is that rangers are a fairly rare class....and rangers that even bother to TRY to do stuff with archery is even rarer.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Fire Giant

Paladin, even a non-twinked one, can solo. Its slow but at least its better than rogue/warrior. Helps to do so vs. undead and spam your ward undead line nuke nonstop as you are fighting. Yes you will be oom, but its more efficient than swinging on a mob and SLOWLY killing it, then having to heal and med anyways.

I had to do this on red as a paladin sometimes, again new server so not twinked.

Cleric can solo way better though because better undead nuke.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:16 PM
Kobold

Clerics heal, Paladin's tank. Both are excellent class choices.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You can solo inside of dungeons....easily. Without much room. Root and back up a couple steps and go to town with arrows. But, again, without the downtime of other classes.

It isn't just killing "easy mobs in easy zones", it is a lot stronger than that.

I've leveled besides necros in their 30's with an archer (that had a bow the strength of a trueshot).....and I was easily passing them by with my ability to solo.

The thing is that rangers are a fairly rare class....and rangers that even bother to TRY to do stuff with archery is even rarer.
I'd like to see logs or video of these sorts of archery kills.
Closed Thread