Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 03:56 PM
Kobold

Default Lull

Is lull useful all the way, or do I need to get soothe and calm for higher levels?

For Paladin FYI
Last edited by rjw513; 11-17-2020 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Missing info
Old 11-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

lul spells are strongly affected by CHA and level. So make sure you get that as high as possible if you plan to land successful luls

For example a dwarf(55) will have a harder time successfully lulling than a high elf(90), with base stats.

You will want to get the higher level lull spells.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-17-2020 at 04:23 PM..
Old 11-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

CHA only affects the critical resist rate. Level difference is the only thing to affect actual resists.

Low CHA and high CHA make no difference in landing a lull.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:04 PM
Fire Giant

As was mentioned above Charisma only impacts the chances of a critical resist.

As for your question, the different spells have different reductions in Agro radius and spell duration. I never use lull and as a general rule, I’ll use calm in most every situation (same as when playing my enchanter). It only costs 50 mana and the reduction in Agro range pretty much allows you to fight/pull on top/through of a mob without agro. It does only have a 3 minute duration though.

There are also times when pacify makes sense given the 7 minute duration but 100 mana per cast. The Agro range reduction isn’t nearly as good as calm either so you can’t always pull right on top of a mob like you can with calm.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Pacify is worse radius than calm? I use the heck out of pacify thanks to donal's bracer and it feels like I can sit right on them without getting agro.

-Mcoy
Old 11-17-2020, 11:07 PM
Fire Giant

The whole line of lull spells is pretty horrible without very high charisma. If you have the kind of charisma that a paladin is likely to have in normal gear, it's rarely safe to cast it at all because there's like a 30% chance to just aggro the whole batch. You really need 150-200+ charisma to comfortably use lulls in any setting where a hard fail is dangerous. It's pretty much just an enchanter thing. And of course Harmony for druid/ranger since it's unresistable.

I'm quite sure charisma affects not only the chance of crit resist but also regular resist. That is at least the case with the undead lulls. I just leveled from 26 to 31 on that one 4-spawn skeleton house in LoIO over the last few days and it was very clear that the lull got resisted way more than normal spells, presumably due to my iksar's 50 charisma. Low blues that would resist snare no more than 5% of the time tops would resist lull easily 30% of the time.

The rank of the spell doesn't affect resist chance unless the specific spell has a negative resist modifier, which I don't think any lulls do in this timeline except for Harmony. The ranks affect what level of mobs can be targeted and how much their aggro radius is reduced. With the low-level versions, mobs have to stand a fair distance away in order to not add. With the high-level ones they'd have to be french-kissing the target to get pulled along.
Last edited by greatdane; 11-17-2020 at 11:17 PM..
Old 11-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

Odd I got flack for saying high CHA is important... I think people take words to heart and feel they have to personally defend words to uphold their honor.

Crit fail = SUPER bad | fail = meh | success = good.

Reduce the number of crit fails with high CHA means you'll increase the overall number of fail or succeed. Meaning you'll succeed more. Not much more to add, Just wanted to defend myself in this thread.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Odd I got flack for saying high CHA is important... I think people take words to heart and feel they have to personally defend words to uphold their honor.

Crit fail = SUPER bad | fail = meh | success = good.

Reduce the number of crit fails with high CHA means you'll increase the overall number of fail or succeed. Meaning you'll succeed more. Not much more to add, Just wanted to defend myself in this thread.
We don't need any of your big picture garbage here Baler. All decisions in this forum must be made based upon on the most narrowly drawn assertions and arguments, it is vitally important that likely outcomes in the field be excluded from every discussion.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We don't need any of your big picture garbage here Baler. All decisions in this forum must be made based upon on the most narrowly drawn assertions and arguments, it is vitally important that likely outcomes in the field be excluded from every discussion.
lol wow,. I'll draw you a picture hang on.

edit: (not to perfect scale, it's a demonstration image)
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Less crit resists means you have another opportunity to re-cast the spell for a successful land.

edit2: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=327383
Relevant thread -Lull line -- some empirical testing on CHA and crit resist rates
Last edited by Baler; 11-17-2020 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: was kaev pulling my leg?
Old 11-17-2020, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

I know you said it's "not to perfect scale," but the "success" portion should be the same size for both Low Cha and Higher Cha. Otherwise it implies that higher cha increases successful lull. It doesn't. It only decreases crit resist in the event of a resist. Only level affects overall resist rate.

C = crit fail, F = non-critical failure, S = success

Low Cha:
|C----------|F----------|S-------------------|

High Cha:
|C-----|F---------------|S-------------------|

Order of events when you cast a lull:
1. The game compares your level to the target's level and rolls virtual dice to determine if the spell lands or is resisted. If the spell lands, you're all set.
2. If the spell is resisted, the game looks at your charisma and rolls virtual dice to determine if the resist is critical (aggro) or non-critical (nothing happens).
Notice that charisma is only checked if the lull is resisted. If it is not resisted, charisma is not checked. That's why an ugly Dwarf can often get away with lulling greens.

Overall, yes, charisma is important when lulling and some players carry a Crude Stein, G. Medallion, or other big charisma items to equip before casting a lull.
Last edited by Videri; 11-17-2020 at 11:57 PM..
Closed Thread