Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Planar Protector

Default /shownames Post-Luclin enhancement

Issue: Players can use /shownames x with the argument x being numerals 1-4 or 0 (reset). These arguments allow players to show just first name; first/last name; first/ last/guild; and title/first/last/guild.

Resolution: /shownames should only take the arguments "on" or "off" until Post-Luclin.

December 13, 2000 (Velious), Zam game commands webpage showing that /shownames only takes the arguments "on" and "off".
http://web.archive.org/web/200012130...e_Commands.htm

Quote:
/shownames -- Turns on or off visible names above PC's and NPC's heads.
January 8, 2002 (Post Luclin) patch message allowing for the additional arguments:
Quote:
------------------------------
January 8, 2002 3:00 am
------------------------------

** Items **

** Interface **

- Added /tgb as a short version of /targetgroupbuff

- /shownames now works with the following parameters:
no parameter = display the current setting.
off = don't show player names over their heads
1 = show only first names of players
2 = show First and Last Name
3 = show First, Last, and Guild (if any)
4 = show Title (if any), First, Last, and Guild (if any)

Also, the LFG, AFK and LD tags will always show if names are not off.
There will no longer be brackets around them, and LFG will now appear
at the end of the name with the AFK and LD tags (instead of being a *
at the beginning)

- A player character will always have a name over its head, even if
they are skeletons (unless /shownames is off), with the exception of
some rare cases when players are turned into certain NPCs
- Added /ttell. This will send a tell to the player character that is
currently your target. The command will also allow corpses as a valid
target. /ttell'ing a player's corpse will auto-tell that player (this
was actually patched earlier along with an emergency patch)
- Added IRC style '/me' as a synonym for /emote (this was actually
patched earlier along with an emergency patch)
- Added '/send' as a synonym for /tell (this was actually patched
earlier along with an emergency patch)
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Large Bat

Ele box mvp
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Large Rat

Ele, this is the second post I've seen from you where you take something that does not matter and complain about it. You're literally trying to take minor UI improvements out of the game just because they weren't in classic.

Let me explain something to you Ele. Every change takes time for the devs to implement. Nobody is paying them to do it, they do it to make this server great. Now what in the hell makes you think that removing minor features, like ttell or improved shownames, is going to improve this server in any way?

"But this server is supposed to be like 1999"

If this server was supposed to be exactly like 1999, there would be multiboxing. Every plat dupe would mandate the servers be rolled back a week, so there would be no 80k Fungis, more like 10k (what it used to cost on heavier-populated servers I might add). Every petition would result in several people getting banned for no reason. Furor would be here complaining about every slight change to raids, and ranting like crazy when the devs did something he didn't like.

1999 is long gone Ele. The devs have done their best to bring back the feeling, but some things are just plain better now. The UI is better, processing speeds are better, the server isn't down as often as live servers were, the GMs don't ban people left and right for bullcrap, the server doesn't get rolled back several days because a few people used an exploit.

Removing UI features, like ttell or shownames, is pointless. It benefits nobody. The gameplay and difficulty are 100% unaffected by these differences. The game is better if your suggestions on these topics are not implemented.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyLee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ele, this is the second post I've seen from you where you take something that does not matter and complain about it. You're literally trying to take minor UI improvements out of the game just because they weren't in classic.

Let me explain something to you Ele. Every change takes time for the devs to implement. Nobody is paying them to do it, they do it to make this server great. Now what in the hell makes you think that removing minor features, like ttell or improved shownames, is going to improve this server in any way?

If this server was supposed to be exactly like 1999, there would be multiboxing. Every plat dupe would mandate the servers be rolled back a week, so there would be no 80k Fungis, more like 10k (what it used to cost on heavier-populated servers I might add). Every petition would result in several people getting banned for no reason. Furor would be here complaining about every slight change to raids, and ranting like crazy when the devs did something he didn't like.

1999 is long gone Ele. The devs have done their best to bring back the feeling, but some things are just plain better now. The UI is better, processing speeds are better, the server isn't down as often as live servers were, the GMs don't ban people left and right for bullcrap, the server doesn't get rolled back several days because a few people used an exploit.

Removing UI features, like ttell or shownames, is pointless. It benefits nobody. The gameplay and difficulty are 100% unaffected by these differences. The game is better if your suggestions on these topics are not implemented.
sig material, thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyLee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

TL;DR
just stfu
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
there would be no 80k Fungis, more like 10k (what it used to cost on heavier-populated servers I might add).
wut
[Sun Jan 31 21:43:23 2016] Kerafyrm was hit by non-melee for 94 points of damage.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Let me explain something to you Ele. Every change takes time for the devs to implement. Nobody is paying them to do it, they do it to make this server great.
Let me explain something to you: Nilbog is not your bitch.

This thread is a simple submission of information that has been openly solicited by the developers. If Nilbog deems that such a change is within his vision for the server, then that's the end of it. While you and I might not enjoy such a change, you have no right to obstruct this process.

It is the height of the entitlement mentality when you say things like: "Every change takes time for the devs to implement." Do you want to stand over Nilbog with a stop watch? Should he bill his hours and submit time-sheets to you so that you can approve of how he spends his day?

It'd be one thing to grumble about the change citing the inconvenience to you if it went through. No one would deny you a little frowney face time to QQ when /ttell gets removed. However, it is another thing entirely when your tone begins to imply that you know better than the developers what would fit within their own vision.

Get off your high horse, and get the hell off Nilbog's lawn.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

first line "does not matter" followed by a wall of text....
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Unhappiness detected
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Ele is a hero of the p99 bug report boards. so is nirgon, but he sometimes goes overboard and gets a bad rap from it. don't hate the player, hate the game.