Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 04:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looking for the windows version. The dropbox from Zaela link no longer works. Any suggestions or other download locations?
Id love this as well!
Old 01-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Orc

Default Zeala's proxy server

This is what you're looking for, but you will need to compile it for your operating system:

https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand
Old 01-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Fire Giant

Know of any resources that would help get me started? Maybe i'm not searching for the correct thing, but i'm having a hard time figuring it out. I'm on win 10
Old 01-24-2020, 04:32 PM
Orc

I'll have to defer to someone who uses Windows, unfortunately. You could download MS Visual Studio (just some basic free version if possible),, download a zip file of the linked source code, open that code in visual studio and find a button that says "build".

Other than that, I don't know that I'm going to be much help.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure y'all are going down a productive avenue: that program was designed to solve a Linux-specific issue, and even on Linux it doesn't solve that thing very well any more.

I can't swear that if you somehow manage to compile it on Windows, it won't help ... I just really, really doubt it.

But look, if you're on Mac/Windows you're one step ahead: you don't need this tool, and that's a good thing. What you need is the same thing Linux people (even with this tool) need, either:

A) to work the kinks out of your network, to truly fix the issue (and others in the technical forum know way more than me about this; look there), or

B) a $5/month VPN, to avoid it by using someone else's network

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-24-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Old 01-24-2020, 05:03 PM
Orc

FWIW, I agree that this has traditionally been a fix for linux (iwlwifi), not windows. I chose to answer the question rather than solve the problem.

This server is still part of my launching platform and it's never failed me. Loramin if you have more information on how to "fix the network", I'd be interested to hear it.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FWIW, I agree that this has traditionally been a fix for linux (iwlwifi), not windows. I chose to answer the question rather than solve the problem.

This server is still part of my launching platform and it's never failed me. Loramin if you have more information on how to "fix the network", I'd be interested to hear it.
Personally I've gone with option B), so I don't have the details you're looking for ... but again, I know that people have solved it, and are willing to help others solve it ... I just don't have a specific thread to point you to.

You'll have to either dig through recent posts in the technical forum, looking for ones about this issue, or hope someone else speaks up.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:18 PM
Orc

Suspect you're pushing UDP traffic over a TCP vpn, which could make sense. Thanks for sharing. EQ client not set up to handle the number of servers coming in through eqemu. Zaela's fix just filters them so there's less data being sent to client.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Suspect you're pushing UDP traffic over a TCP vpn, which could make sense. Thanks for sharing. EQ client not set up to handle the number of servers coming in through eqemu. Zaela's fix just filters them so there's less data being sent to client.
Keep in mind Zaela's fix addressed one specific (and Linux-specific issue), that was introduced years ago.

Since then Rogean has made further changes, which is (presumably) why Middleman D stopped working for me awhile back, and I had to use a VPN. But honestly, the VPN is worth the money even separate from P99 (to let me use bit torrent safely), so that's why I haven't bothered to figure out the "real" solution.

Last edited by loramin; 01-24-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Old 01-28-2020, 05:20 AM
Large Rat

Every patch resets the eqhosts.txt file, which should point to localhost instead of the loginserver for the eqmiddleman utility to work.