Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxarcule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
downtime can be a bit much (lvl 17 at the moment)
Basically all of the caster classes run into this problem, though it's worst for wizards and solo clerics probably, since they just don't have the efficient kill methods that other classes with pets and charms and dots and mana regen have. Fortunately wizards do have quadding as an option later on, which helps, though you still have a short period of activity followed by a long rest. Grouping gives you more steady activity, plus sometimes chatting to keep things a bit more interesting, though finding groups with a wiz can be challenging.

As I've been suggesting, having friends who will play with you regardless of your class and/or having a guild to lean on to help find groups or other things to do is important with a class like wiz, imo.

If you do get fed up with wizard but want to keep trying the caster way of life, basically any of the other casters will play "faster" than a wizard does and many of them are more welcomed into groups... but anyone doing raiding really does love an extra porter and the hard dps burn a wiz can throw into a BBEG.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

if you like casting spells but don't like sitting on ass half the time, let me introduce you to the magic of troll shaman, a race/class that can solo basically anything wearing a set of banded and a fine steel spear while having half the downtime of any other caster after 24
Old 01-14-2020, 06:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxarcule [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am enjoying the leveling experience, but I'm wondering if I'll ever get to achieve the really fun content that I remember way back from live with my limitations. As a wiz I feel likel I'll never be able to hold down camps for gear to sell for good pp or earn enough from port to afford the obscene prices I'm seeing for some items.
Part of this is just an issue of your perception of things. For one, not all valuable items drop from Lord/King/Efreeti difficult mobs. Mammoth Hide and Molten Cloaks, Impskin Gloves, Gatorscale Leggings...the list is pretty extensive of items you can farm easily that still sell for a reasonable amount. On top that, you have an advantage the other INT casters do not with your residual port revenue. Since we end at Velious, there will never be a point in time where porting is irrelevant...and as the world expands, the value of porting increases. This shouldn't be overlooked, because it offers you consistent income no matter how much time or effort you have available to devote to it. Only have 30 minutes to play? You'd never find a reasonable place to farm on any other INT class with that kind of time...but 30 minutes of porting can very easily earn you a few hundred plat, with absolutely no risk, and you can do it completely distracted or semi-afk. I take advantage of this all the time...whether it's porting while I'm doing things around the house, making dinner, or watching shows with the family. In those cases, I'd never be able to hold down Frenzy safely as an Enchanter, with a charmed pet to manage and timers to keep track of. However, as a Wizard I'm still making money even if I'm barely at the keyboard...and that's an asset in it's own right.

Quote:
Maybe I was spoiled by red being less heavily camped or at least having camps be contestable by PvP that a PvE server isn't for me. I guess what I'm asking for, realistically speaking will I be able to participate in raids on a server like this at the endgame, or will things be locked down by top tier guilds that claim/flag things literally minutes after they pop?
As for this, you will easily be able to participate on raids. You could even argue that by attending a raid as a Wizard, you allow for your force to better contest the top guild because it's all about FTE and mobilization. The faster your raid force gets into position, the more likely your guild is to win the encounter. And the two most critical classes to mobilizing are Wizards and Druids. However, whereas Druids are sub-par additions after the mob has been engaged you are amazing burst DPS which you can never have too much of. On top of that, Druids are left begging for a ride along with everyone else when the target is in Hate or Sky. So don't be discouraged....you'll always have a place in any guild you join that intends to raid.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

^
Old 01-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not easy to obtain decent gear right now because prices are inflated and all of the decent camps are locked down during non-NEET hours. Kunark will probably alleviate these issues to a certain extent, but I suspect this will be a problem that will persist throughout Green/Teal's lifespan, especially after the merge.
I'm at these camps regularly on Teal. I can confirm they are not all locked down during non-NEET hours. OP can most certainly form groups and camp these areas.

Play the game and upgrade vs plat grinding and tunnel quest. If the game is plat grinding and tunnel quest I don't understand the why of playing.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosilk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play the game and upgrade vs plat grinding and tunnel quest. If the game is plat grinding and tunnel quest I don't understand the why of playing.
I mean... Is there really such a huge difference between camping 2 molten cloaks, keeping 1, then selling the other to buy some other gear... and camping 1 molten cloak then going to camp the other gear directly? Or whatever item you're camping, whether fbss or GEBs or fine steel weapons?

Maybe sometimes you get boned on rng and by the time you see 1 molten cloak, you're ready to gtfo. But you also might get 2 back to back.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 01-14-2020 at 08:43 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
OP here - thanks for all the replies and inisghts. My foray into a wizard is my first time playing as a caster and while I am enjoying it, it isn't as seamless as the Monk was and downtime can be a bit much (lvl 17 at the moment). I think once I get self ports it'll be easy to hop to ecommons for clarity/sow and then port somewhere. That's my hope anyway.

Good to hear that there is a chance of me participating in raids even if I'm not a hardcore gamer.
Yes. Don't get into the singular mentality of sustained dps because many groups cannot support constant pulls. Wizards can bring the heightened dps when it's needed and lay off (to recharge for the need for heightened dps) when the increased dps isn't needed. Cast between mana ticks to increase mana regen. Bad pull going to cause a wipe then evac the group out safely. Need snare to prevent trains and wipes, wiz have that covered as well. Top raid dps in classic and Kunark - check. Velious not sure but Luclin and beyond again yes.

I generally keep my mana bar around 70m and burn it down when needed. For example, if the cleric burns their mana to oom healing then that's a time you should be near oom as well because you brought extra dps when needed.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean... Is there really such a huge difference between camping 2 molten cloaks, keeping 1, and selling the other to buy some other gear and camping 1 molten cloaks then going to camp the other gear?

Maybe sometimes you get boned on rng and by the time you see 1 molten cloak, you're ready to gtfo. But you also might get 2 back to back.
You make a good point. I'm more referring to a decent number of people that grind plat in areas from finesteel to ore etc and then buy all of their gear tunnel quest.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosilk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You make a good point. I'm more referring to a decent number of people that grind plat in areas from finesteel to ore etc and then buy all of their gear tunnel quest.
Ok, that's fair. Grinding 40kpp as a port bitch or off of guards would be miserable.

I think the naysayers underestimate how many 1-3k items are easily camped and available. Maybe not every second of you solo camping a 3rd mammaoth hide cloak is exactly stimulating. But hey, if you wanted to, you could make pals and join a guild and be splitting ssoy and geb loot instead. Or checking in on an easy camp like mortificator or hadden ocassionally on your offday/weekend, or coming to terms with the fact that classic EQ doesn't revolve 100% around your interests and schedule, etc.

Lke I've said elsewhere, some folks play p99 looking for the negatives. And those folks tend to find them.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 01-14-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, that's fair. Grinding 40kpp as a port bitch or off of guards would be miserable.

I think the naysayers underestimate how many 1-3k items are easily camped and available. Maybe not every second of you solo camping a 3rd mammaoth hide cloak is exactly stimulating. But hey, if you wanted to, you could make pals and join a guild and be splitting ssoy and geb loot instead. Or checking in on an easy camp like mortificator or hadden ocassionally on your offday/weekend, or coming to terms with the fact that classic EQ doesn't revolve 100% around your interests and schedule, etc.

Lke I've said elsewhere, some folks play p99 looking for the negatives. And those folks tend to find them.
I agree. And there is plenty of opportunity for people to group at lower levels and camp that gear for the loot and exp at the same time.

Surprisingly some people that play look at all of the opportunities and positives. And those folks tend to find them.
Closed Thread