Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Theres not many low lvl groups on blue anymore prepare to solo
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:17 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your first part of your sentiment is backwards. Blue's economy favors new players because mid to high end equipment is dirt cheap. A set of crusty armor and a decent weapon is probably under 2k and would blow away anything you could get on Green for the same price. Take a mithril 2 handed sword: basically 20k on Green, under 500 on Blue. This is a mix of better late game items coming out over time as well as general deflation that will happen on Green as well.

In terms of grouping: There are definitely still leveling groups during prime time for US time zones, if you're playing off hours it would be hard to consistently group and Green would definitely be more reliable, but I'd definitely plan on soloing about half the time either way.
Prior to green launch you were never ever getting epic and some item drops solo, small groups and I believe most of those are still permanently locked down. That's what I mean by fucked, players are so over geared vs content on blue mobs can be solo locked down that on live would never been possible
Old 01-28-2020, 09:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Prior to green launch you were never ever getting epic and some item drops solo, small groups and I believe most of those are still permanently locked down. That's what I mean by fucked, players are so over geared vs content on blue mobs can be solo locked down that on live would never been possible
I mean.. camping fear golems has what effect on the economy for a casual player? Besides making epics more attainable? You'd never solo them anyway and would have to go on any number of raids to actually get the drop you need, either you need to be hardcore and contest them anyway or you can buy your MQ for far cheaper than they will ever be on Green.

And I guarantee you this content will be locked down pretty fast on Green once it's up.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:33 AM
Fire Giant

I don't see any reason why Green would be heading towards a different fate than where Blue is now. It depends on what you are after. If it bums you out that there are high-end content being trivialized meaning that you will run into many more fungi tunics on low level chars in HHK than would have been the case on classic then stay on Green and enjoy it for the time being because eventually the same will happen there.

In terms of the OP then Blue has definitely been a skeleton crew in the months following Green's release but I sense the population is starting to regrow slowly but steadily.

I'm sure you will be able to find people to group with but probably mostly in popular zones and possibly only realiably during prime time.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:10 PM
Banned

You all forgot to mention on green don't play a hybrid or wizard. The neckbeards will shun you and you won't ever get a group then, either.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:26 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You all forgot to mention on green don't play a hybrid or wizard. The neckbeards will shun you and you won't ever get a group then, either.
This just isn't true, I got a bard to 17 on Green and all that time I was getting in groups and even being whispered from other zones and continents to join groups. At max level (50 currently on green) hybrid xp penalty also has no bearing.

I have decided to give Blue a shot for a while, it's dead but I chose my class appropriately.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexNemox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have decided to give Blue a shot for a while, it's dead but I chose my class appropriately.
Nice. What class did you roll?
Old 01-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice. What class did you roll?
Bard and Shaman, Shaman seems a bit hard for early solo so probably sticking to Bard. Played Bard back in 99-2001 so it's a familiar fit.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexNemox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The starting zones seem absolutely dead so it's hard for me to gauge if I will enjoy this server. I had been playing on green but some zones are so vastly overcrowded I have come looking towards Blue.

I don't want to solo 1-60. I don't want to be in overcrowded zones. I don't want to wait til 60 to do things with groups. Is this server a good fit or no?
Starting zones have generally been dead on Blue for awhile so that's not too much of an issue. I've played my characters on Blue here and there since Green came out and haven't noticed much of a difference. On Blue, everyone packed into the high ZEM/popular zones for grouping...so Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmoore, HK, Guk, etc., and since that hasn't changed since Green, it's still about the same experience.

On Green those zones are all crowded as well, but since the expansions aren't out you do see some grouping going on in other areas of the old world that are more empty on Blue (Befallen, Orc camps, Highpass, Karana bandits, SK, etc.). That being said, it can sometimes still be tough to find groups outside of the most popular zones on Green (depending on your class and the time of day/night you're playing), but they are not as dead as Blue.

As such, for starting completely fresh, I'd go Green. The popular zones will be crowded either way, but at least you'll have a higher chance of grouping in some of the other zones than you would on Blue.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendZapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would you start on blue and not the brand new popping server, green? Lol.
Blue fits my playstyle perfectly. 20 years ago I was a single guy and raided 7 hours every night. Now I'm married with a couple of kids. I saw plenty of marriages end over EQ back then and there's no way that's going to happen to me. When my wife or kids need my attention, they get it, even if it means leaving the game abruptly.

As such, I rarely group (and when I do I let people know I may be afk at almost any time, but at least I'll tell them). I'm never going to be able to get the raid loot on this server, but with the economy as it is I'll at least be able to purchase some gear. I got my necro jboots at 25 by saving my plats up and doing a MQ, and since then I've been able to gear up pretty well.

Picking classes that can solo is the key to this strategy though (although I did make a ranger out of nostalgia!). I got the necro to 35 fairly quickly and I'm levelling up a druid now just for a change of pace. I love being in a casual guild just to asks questions and chat with people.

I love going to out of the way places and afk camping things. Gargoyles in OoT, Bandits in the Karanas, nearly everything in Eruds crossing. If real life intrudes I can afk for an hour and come back and pick up right where I left off.

The last thing I wanted was the level race that green promised!

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Closed Thread