Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Default Green Wiki Requests

First off, let me caveat this post with: A) I'm one person, B) I can't fulfill everyone's wiki fantasies, and C) most such fantasies can be fulfilled by any motivated player. But with that said ... and just to get the ideas all in one place (for me or anyone else who is interested to act on them) ...

... what things do people see as "missing" from the wiki for Green?

I mainly mean systemic things, not content, although if there are any major content gaps those are worth mentioning too. For instance, up until a few days ago the wiki showed all spells regardless of era, so I added an era filter to the spell lists so Green players could only see classic spells. What sort of stuff like that do we need?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-17-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Old 09-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Some sort of collection of classic era magical weapons/gloves for the melee players. If you're choosing to play a melee character one of the first goals you should have is obtaining a magical weapon/gloves but understanding where to hunt or quest for one is a bit more confusing. Maybe the wiki already has something like this?

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-17-2019, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some sort of collection of classic era magical weapons/gloves for the melee players. If you're choosing to play a melee character one of the first goals you should have is obtaining a magical weapon/gloves but understanding where to hunt or quest for one is a bit more confusing. Maybe the wiki already has something like this?
That sounds like a great idea for a new category ... although it's going to be such a huge category that it will require automation to add (ie. it's something me or another programmer will have to do). I think we have our first Green To Do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In the meantime, a poor substitute is that you can search (notice that I said "Search" and not "Go", which is the default button) through the wiki for:

Code:
"MAGIC ITEM" War Primary
(replace "War" with your class shorthand)

That will show you every magic weapon your class can wield ... but it will do so with the terrible wiki search format that's not very helpful.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Kobold

I've never really played true classic EQ, only Kunark-era blue on p99 and lots of other emulated servers at various points in the timeline. So what I'd find really useful is:

1) One big table with all dates including patches and expansions.. basically an accurate version of this page https://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_Timeline

2) A page that breaks down big differences between current blue and classic.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Actually, come to think of it another way to skin that same cat would be to focus on the existing item pages, eg. http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:...arrior/Primary

I already added some Javascript to filter No Drop/Droppable weapons there. If I wrote a little more code I could do the same thing for magic items on that page, and it would have the advantage of a much better results format (you get a table of the items, with stats, not just wiki search results.)

I still think a "Magic Item" category in the wiki would be nifty and worth having, but maybe that will have to wait, and I'll just do the item page solution in the near future.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

IMO the only thing that is missing is (what I think you added like, last week?)

a flag for every item to identify its patch history, when did it come in, when did it go out (if it did) and what patch and the live date for that items arrival and departure.

Not only would this be directly helpful for green, but it would be directly helpful for the entire projects goal, to find accurate to the day, classic information [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Being able to know that the tartons wheel is questable day one, and not after sol ro, would be great to see in print, right there in my face, on the wiki.

Rather than me being pretttttty sure it was pre sol ro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I would like to see this info for every item, and I understand that it is also my duty to help fill this info out so if you tell me how I will help you can PM me or link me the same tutorial you have like 9 times that I like a jerk procrastinate reading until I forget it exists 8(

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, come to think of it another way to skin that same cat would be to focus on the existing item pages, eg. http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:...arrior/Primary

I already added some Javascript to filter No Drop/Droppable weapons there. If I wrote a little more code I could do the same thing for magic items on that page, and it would have the advantage of a much better results format (you get a table of the items, with stats, not just wiki search results.)

I still think a "Magic Item" category in the wiki would be nifty and worth having, but maybe that will have to wait, and I'll just do the item page solution in the near future.
Oh hey you know what would be amazing? A filter that let you filter out patch history for this list, like you can google search results.

Launch - Kunark

Guise Nerf - Kunark

or maybe just dates? Or patch titles?

may 16th 1999- january 1st 2000

that'd be awesome lol

But maybe for forums version 2025 8)

Edit Edit (era templates! but for patches yay!)
Last edited by Jibartik; 09-17-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Old 09-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never really played true classic EQ, only Kunark-era blue on p99 and lots of other emulated servers at various points in the timeline. So what I'd find really useful is:

1) One big table with all dates including patches and expansions.. basically an accurate version of this page https://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_Timeline

2) A page that breaks down big differences between current blue and classic.
More great ideas. #2 would be a bit of a moving target, but if #1 was done right it would let people figure out #2 easily enough, no matter what period Green happens to be in at the moment.

For now, the two closest pages we have are:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Era_Templates (lists all of the wikis "eras" in one place)

and then of course:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Timeline

(which as you've already noted doesn't present that info in the best way it could for Green players)

Old 09-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO the only thing that is missing is (what I think you added like, last week?)

a flag for every item to identify its patch history, when did it come in, when did it go out (if it did) and what patch and the live date for that items arrival and departure.

Not only would this be directly helpful for green, but it would be directly helpful for the entire projects goal, to find accurate to the day, classic information [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Being able to know that the tartons wheel is questable day one, and not after sol ro, would be great to see in print, right there in my face, on the wiki.

Rather than me being pretttttty sure it was pre sol ro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I would like to see this info for every item, and I understand that it is also my duty to help fill this info out so if you tell me how I will help you can PM me or link me the same tutorial you have like 9 times that I like a jerk procrastinate reading until I forget it exists 8(
Last week I shored up the existing set of http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Era_Templates, but most already existed so I can't take any credit. However, I did make the nifty table on that page, and it tells you exactly the wiki code you need to use to mark any page (or item on that page, or row in a table on that page) as belonging to a particular era.

The actual "marking up of eras" in the wiki will be far bigger of a project than I (or any one editor) can handle. We've already got a pretty decent amount of era info in the wiki, but making it truly comprehensive will require the whole community to pitch in and add those templates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh hey you know what would be amazing? A filter that let you filter out patch history for this list, like you can google search results.

Launch - Kunark

Guise Nerf - Kunark

or maybe just dates? Or patch titles?

may 16th 1999- january 1st 2000

that'd be awesome lol

But maybe for forums version 2025 8)
Do you mean filtering the timeline page down to "what Green has"? If that's the case I agree that would make a great potential improvement to the Timeline page, or to the "One big table with all dates including patches and expansions" page Wurl suggested.

Last edited by loramin; 09-17-2019 at 05:14 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

I didn't see anything in the wiki about Miragul's Highway which supposedly worked on Blue for a time. There are changelogs of them turning the functionality off.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you mean filtering the timeline page down to "what Green has"? If that's the case I agree that would make a great potential improvement to the Timeline page, or to the "One big table with all dates including patches and expansions" page Wurl suggested.
For green, its a little simpler I think, it looks like they are just lumping ALL legacy items into one big 6 month patch.

But lots of items came in after launch day, and went away, or were changed, before kunark. Like the terror forged mask for example.

That surely was not available on day one right? But if I go to the wiki, it doesn't say what day it was available on live, and I would assume in the long run we would want to be able to fill out that info for items like that for everything on the wiki.

Like when did Panieel get added to classic? Does anyone even know? Every paineel quest, npc or item, should have that date on their wiki page, or a title for that patch date, like "paineel patch" or something.

A lot stuff changed like every day on the live server back in 99, so I'd love for us to be able to keep all that data on the wiki even if it takes us another 40 years lol.

Allakxam has the ORIGIONAL, KUNARK, etc but they really should divide ORIGIONAL up into at least quarters or specific patch dates IMO since we are all loving being so meticulous about classic content on p99

Thoughts?
Closed Thread