Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Banned

Default Can anything be done about the empty server list issue?

When I try to log into p99, the server select window comes up blank about 90% of the time. I have to hit escape and type in my password over and over and over, and eventually it works, but even then sometimes I can't connect to an actual server (blue, green or red), it says "an unknown error occured while trying to join the server".

I've been playing on p99 on and off since it launched, and it seems like it's gotten progressively more and more buggy just trying to log in. This almost never used to happen and now it happens every time, it's really frustrating.

I've tried the usual fixes like resetting my router etc.. doesn't seem to change anything. My internet connection is super fast in every other regard too.

EDIT: I seriously just tried like 50 times in a row and no dice. I literally can't play, I just have to give up for a while. Maybe later it will work
Last edited by douglas1999; 10-21-2019 at 05:02 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

So if you trace the way it goes. You log in and the executable is fine. Then when you log in, you see no servers. Thats a connection to EQEmulator. When is the last time you logged into that website?
Old 10-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Get a VPN. I don't know why, but they cost like $5 a month, protect you from getting annoying letters from your ISP if you want to download Bit Torrent files, and they fix this issue for the vast majority of people reporting the problem.

Again, I don't know why this is, and it shouldn't be necessary (I suspect it's a side effect of the wizardry Rogean does to try and make this ancient game work well for everyone) ... but try a using VPN and see if it fixes it.

Absolute worst case scenario, you cancel while you're still on your 30-day free trial, and you at least find out a bit more data (ie. a VPN did/didn't help).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

Post your dbg.txt file from your Logs folder
Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Kobold

It's all network timing, just like zone crashes and most of the other crap, easy to repro. VPNs solve it because they have better hnnngwebz.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Banned

Well despite what I said before, today I tried resetting my router again, and now it *does* work. All day, I can log in just fine without a single issue. Although trying the same thing didn't work yesterday. In any case, I'm just really curious from a technical point of view what causes this. If it's network timing, why does resetting a router fix it? I don't doubt that you're right, I just don't know enough about this stuff. Glad to be able to play though