Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 11-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Aviak

Default Petitioning for multiple players in same household

Hey, I recently joined project 99 and having a ton of fun! Thanks so much for this I haven't had this much fun gaming for years.

I'm visiting my family for thanksgiving and at one of them is interested in giving the server a try. However, I know there's a potential ban for playing multiple characters from the same IP - how should I go about petitioning and what is the usual response time? They don't have an account yet and are not technically savvy so I was hoping to get this done the day I'm down there to help them out.

I understand multi boxing but wish there was at least a day grace period or something. Seems a struggle for people who temporarily play from the same house - for example, if somebody comes over and wants to play I guess I have to just have them play without me, or is there generally a GM online that can help?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2023, 03:12 AM
Server Guide

6. You may not have more than one client running per real life person playing on Project 1999 (Boxing).

There is no 'boxing' on Project 1999 servers. Boxing is defined as having more than one client running from a single computer, or having more than one client running per person in the same household on different computers. Project 1999 has an IP block on its servers to prevent players from boxing. You may apply for an IP exemption if you have more than one person in your household wanting to play by following the instructions on this forum:

Petition forums. Be sure to read the announcement sticky prior to posting to ensure all required information is contained within your petition.

Violation of this rule will result in disciplinary action, and you may lose the account(s) involved.

The exception to this rule is having one client running for Project 1999 Red PvP as well as one for Project 1999 Blue.
This is allowed.

Happy hunting and here’s to a great day.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:46 AM
Kobold

Probably not worth the hassle if its a 1 day, 1 time thing. I would just put them in the driver seat and hang out/watch while they play and give helpful hints. Once you're back home you can play together all you want from your own homes.

To your point a chunk of your day will be spent getting the game installed, up and running, getting the character created ect.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:06 AM
Aviak

Lame. In my experience these things usually don't work out long term unless we group up from day 1.

And idk why the spam about boxing read my first post I clearly understand that's against the rules....
Old 11-09-2023, 05:08 AM
Aviak

Also if you guys want more players in the game it could be something to look into. I regularly have people over sometimes who just want to try a multi-player game (remember introducing many to eq back in the day). Huge barrier to entry to petition each time and no way it's going to be fun for somebody to play solo. Just my $.02
Old 11-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also if you guys want more players in the game it could be something to look into. I regularly have people over sometimes who just want to try a multi-player game (remember introducing many to eq back in the day). Huge barrier to entry to petition each time and no way it's going to be fun for somebody to play solo. Just my $.02
Interesting thought, I don't know the specifics of how it works as this doesn't apply to me. Not sure if once an IP exemption is granted if its tied to a specific account or just opens up that IP address to allow 2 instances of the game. If its the latter than you would be covered regardless of who the 2nd person is but I'm guessing its the former as tying the exemption to a specific account login would be a better way to prevent abuse of the exemption.

P.S. the "spam" was just the guide copy pasting the info regarding IP exemptions from the larger P99 ruleset document. There is probably more clarity in the link provided there I just didn't take the time to read it because its not something I'm seeking.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:17 PM
Aviak

Yea, I already read that and understand it is just a bit of an annoying process. Plus not all people have static IP addresses and some have shared wifi, etc.

I do appreciate the lack of boxers that is a *really* nice aspect of the server. I just feel there has to be a better/more balanced way to do this - I really think a 1 day grace period for example would go a long way since then people can play with other people on trips and stuff, or if they are at a hotel, without risk of a ban.

I suppose I can just set up the game and let them try soloing a bit. Maybe a hot spot could work.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:39 PM
Kobold

Thanksgiving a long way away. Plenty of time to set things up in advance of visit. No reason you need to do it same day as visit.

Hotspot on visiting laptop is easiest solution though.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:36 PM
Aviak

Just have the other person hotspot their cell internet and have them play off that, or put protonvpn on your PC and use that while at their house.
Ruilden Wreckchords | Level 30 Half Elf Bard of No God |Green|
Maulgar | Level 24 Troll Shadow Knight of Cazic-Thule |Green|
Old 11-26-2023, 10:52 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just have the other person hotspot their cell internet and have them play off that, or put protonvpn on your PC and use that while at their house.
Or have one person use a VPN.