Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Sarnak

Default Rune IV question

Do you other chanters use it? The cost to go from jasper to peridot for an extra 100 hp seems insanely cost ineffective. I get that the mana saved (i.e. I don't have to re-cast Rune III in the middle of a fight) can be life saving, but I feel like those situations seem super rare.

So what's the consensus? Do you always use Rune IV? Did you wait for Rune V? Do you only use it when you think it'll be a close fight?
Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Fire Giant

I’m at 45 still, and don’t use it yet. I imagine that it would be well worth it, however, for fights when killing a named and weaponizong/hasting a pet.

A tip to you and others is to be sure to have rampage in a slot above rune, and refresh after you get hit, to save your rune.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Sarnak

I used it from 44 to 50 pre-kunark. But the game was different then. I was soloing guards in Grobb and you could sell to merchants as an enchanter even if you were max KoS. Also, before the last charm revamp, people charmed differently. The strategy was to charm the most bad ass mob in the zone that you could land charm on. So you would definitely get wrecked when it broke if you didn't have rune on.

My opinion is that if the cost of the peridots is worth the boost in soloing efficiency to you, then use it.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Banned

I dunno about all of that but I still use Steelskin on my necro because I cannot justify the 9p jump in price when charm petting because of how often it needs refreshing when in a regular group setting.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you other chanters use it? The cost to go from jasper to peridot for an extra 100 hp seems insanely cost ineffective. I get that the mana saved (i.e. I don't have to re-cast Rune III in the middle of a fight) can be life saving, but I feel like those situations seem super rare.

So what's the consensus? Do you always use Rune IV? Did you wait for Rune V? Do you only use it when you think it'll be a close fight?
Use Rune IV until you get Rune V when soloing. Use Rune III in groups and all other circumstances. Use Rune V whenever using Rune after that.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

I pretty much skipped it entirely save a few casts

I've cast it a few times from my Skyshrine robe but even that is pretty bad usually just better off sitting the stupid long cast time for mana for Rune V
Old 08-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the input all!
Old 08-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

When I was leveling I just used rune 3 until I got rune 5 honestly.
Mostly for the cost reasons. You use so many runes while soloing that it's not uncommon to use up to a stack in a session.

My advice/what I did : use rune 3 and meanwhile pick an arbitrary amount of holding plat (200p in my case) and any excess I always threw it in the bank and via that + chunking some items to ec flippers otw to the bank I amassed a rather lard peridot fund and now it's easy to carry 10 stacks of dots at all times.

Once you can afford to use rune 5 , you should definitely switch though , it's a huge difference (soaking harm touchs vs mobs smashing through them)
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Fire Giant

Rune III until Rune V. I keep a few stacks of both dots and jasper. I use Rune V for more difficult situations and Rune III otherwise. Also, make sure to keep your Berserker Spirit, Bedlam, etc up when fighting, and make sure it is above Rune in your buff bar so it gets eaten first.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Kobold

I think it depends on how much plat you have. If this is your first toon and you have a few thousand plat to your name I would say stick with Rune III. If this is an alt and you have 10k+ then the cost of peridots is worth it.

Rune IV = more hp absorb = less dying = you level faster = cost of peridots become trivial. Rune IV also lasts around 20 minutes longer.

Once you get Rune V I suggest never using Rune III or Rune IV again regardless of how much plat you have. Always recast Berseker Spirit early if possible, if you get hit once or twice but still have Berserker Spirit up then recast it to minimize how often you will have to cast Rune V.
Closed Thread