Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Orc

Default Coldain Prayer Shawl

Gives the Flowing Thought 1 (Increase Mana by 1 per tick). For those who did the quest, do you think now it was worth the time and money? Kind of like Jboots, some say it is a must or great, others say just use sow pots, etc.
Last edited by Bulzie; 01-04-2019 at 03:55 PM..
Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Fire Giant

It took me like 50 hours and probably 50k+ to finish all the tradeskills. I would probably not do it over again, you can just get neriad shawl, wurm lord shawl, or shawl of perception which are better. If you need flowing thought you can save up for choker of the wretched.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

IMHO there are two very solid reasons to do the shawl quest, but neither one is "to get a raid-level best in slot shoulders item". As Branamil said, there are better items raiders can get.

One reason is if you're a tradeskiller. Some people (like myself) enjoy doing tradeskills even though they largely suck in this era of EQ. The shawl quest is the tradeskiller's "epic" quest, and so every tradeskiller should want to do it.

The second reason is if you're not a raider, and never plan to be, then it is one of the best in slot items available to a non-raider.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulzie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gives the Flowing Thought 1 (Increase Mana by 1 per tick). For those who did the quest, do you think now it was worth the time and money? Kind of like Jboots, some say it is a must or great, others say just use sow pots, etc.
I've done it many times on multiple servers, but I think the answer to your question would depend on what you like doing in EQ. For whatever reason I enjoy trade skills as a casual pursuit outside of grouping and raiding, so it was a a no-brainer to put em to good use. If you've done zero work on your trade skills or you don't think you enjoy grinding em up, then the Shawl is absolutely skippable [especially stopping at 7 on P99, I wish so much they'd one day add the 8th quest - its not OP, and would give caster classes something akin to the 10th Ring for melee characters.]
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Kobold

@Bulzie, hey man. I remember finishing this quest about a year ago and I still recall how painful it was. Was it worth the time? I don't think so. I remember I spent a solid week and a half on this and this is playing 20+ hours each day until you're about to get physically ill or mentally unstable from the craziness of the objectives:

*Some of the tradeskills I didn't mind, for example jewelcrafting since you can sell some back to the merchant and get some money back and fletching.
*Tradeskills such as brewing and tailoring was brutal because the former, all the components you needed to collect and run back and forth from the distillery (oh man it's coming back), and the latter, the depths of hell and the plat from 150-208.
Another hurdle these days is getting the 2 required components in Siren's grotto (tooth and hide). I think they're still 2k each?
*The 75 silks in velks wasn't TOO bad. If you're on during busy hours most will let you to loot them all up not a problem.
*A little bit of luck, I remember combining the last step at tailor skill 150 instead of the required 208 and got freakin lucky. I've known those who combined at the recommended 162 and failed twice! Just gives me shudders to even thikn about it.

-other notables-
Oh yeah the fishing was bad too, I remember collecting nothing but slimy sandals for hours on end and was about to heave my laptop out the window.
And the kromrif royal blood is a good sell item but during my window no one was selling...

I think the ring quest was more tolerable than this one. And some people were saying how they spent 6k for all this? I dunno about that. I think I spent over 10k and then some and I've heard some spending way more because of failed combines and/or buying out the MQ-able parts. I wouldn't do that.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Fire Giant

"Another hurdle these days is getting the 2 required components in Siren's grotto (tooth and hide). I think they're still 2k each? "

The tooth is no drop so you have to be in zone to loot it. I used my 60 torp shaman and a couple Enchanter guildies over a few days trying to get one. Took over 30 kills (and a number of deaths). I was then able to swap to my Druid and loot it.

For most sane people, don't do it. I took it one step further and got my tailoring to 250. Took a few months focus and about 200k. Then I see the best tailored items you can make (Ice Burrower Armor) selling for less than the mat cost! I wanted to scream.

I am however insane and have started 5 other toons on the journey (up to shawl #3 on them).

Pro Tip: Shawl #3 can be multiquested! When someone finishes shawl #3, they get a range slot item (Seal of Thoradain). If you have no need for it, you can give that range slot to the quest NPC and the other person then turns in their shawl #2 and viola, they have shawl #3 and the Seal of Thoradain without doing any of the baking or having to farm snow griffon eggs (which sucks)!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarackObooma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The tooth is no drop so you have to be in zone to loot it. I used my 60 torp shaman and a couple Enchanter guildies over a few days trying to get one. Took over 30 kills (and a number of deaths). I was then able to swap to my Druid and loot it.
In my experience the easiest way to get the tooth is (ironically) to just use a Druid in the first place. A high level Druid (not sure what level is minimum, since I got a level 60 to help me) can use charm fighting to kill the fish that drop the tooth fairy safely and easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarackObooma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am however insane
Now that is the correct tradeskiller mindset [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Planar Protector

What suck about the siren grotto drops is that you have either to buy em (or loot tight) or kill your sg faction...
Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 PM
Fire Giant

[QUOTE=loramin;2842651]In my experience the easiest way to get the tooth is (ironically) to just use a Druid in the first place. A high level Druid (not sure what level is minimum, since I got a level 60 to help me) can use charm fighting to kill the fish that drop the tooth fairy safely and easily.

I didn't want to mess up my SG faction with my Druid (and he was early 50s). I have a pre-nerf velium amulet on my Druid. I try to not mess up any factions on him. I send in my Torpor Shaman when I need to break kneecaps.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

[QUOTE=BarackObooma;2843399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my experience the easiest way to get the tooth is (ironically) to just use a Druid in the first place. A high level Druid (not sure what level is minimum, since I got a level 60 to help me) can use charm fighting to kill the fish that drop the tooth fairy safely and easily.

I didn't want to mess up my SG faction with my Druid (and he was early 50s). I have a pre-nerf velium amulet on my Druid. I try to not mess up any factions on him. I send in my Torpor Shaman when I need to break kneecaps.
Ok that makes total sense to me except stupid question: can't your Druid just Egress through SG? What does he need faction for?

Closed Thread