Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Large Rat

Default New Player Introduction

Hi, everyone,

I played Everquest somewhat briefly during the LDON era (or it may have been one expansion after that- I played a Froglok, if that helps). I only played for a couple of months before military deployment cut me off at the knees. By the time I got back, WoW was what my friends were playing, so there I went.

I had a lot of fun with EQ, and even came back a couple of times (once or twice in retail; once for the Fippy TLP server until multi-boxers ruined it, imho).

So what I am trying to say is I have very limited experience with this game. I'm looking forward to the journey, as I very much like MMOs for the discovery and community aspect of the game. I started late last night with 700ish people online. I made a Human Paladin and started in Freeport, and managed to get to level 2 (and a third-ish). Got my butt whipped once when I didn't con the mob first and it turned out to be yellow to me (the most ferocious fire beetle you've ever seen...).

Rather than asking, "Can someone give me X, Y, Z," I'm instead asking for help in the form of "How do I not screw myself up so badly that I sour on this game?" I prefer questing as opposed to mob grinding- not from an xp perspective, I just prefer story-telling and exploring. As an example, I've burned out on retail in the past trying to farm AA's. While I understand that questing may be a poor (read: untenable) source of experience, can I at least remain entertained, even if it means having to stop and grind out levels occasionally?

Ummm... I can't think of anything else right now. I may try an Iksar tonight. They look kinda fun, but my brief YouTube jaunt and internet reading tell me they are a high difficulty curve since they tend to be KoS just about everywhere. That's okay though, as I like a challenge.

Thanks for reading, and I can't wait to meet some of you.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 AM
Large Rat

Hello, again,

As an update, I am maining an Ogre Warrior named Gorjisjorj, currently in the Feerott swamp. I'm level 3 and taking a break from hunting lizards and tads so I can skill up a bit. Feel free to stop by and say hi, and thank you to those random people who have run by and dropped various buffs on me!

Happy adventuring!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Aviak

Well, unfortunately if you are looking for a game that has a strong questing aspect to it you are probably in the wrong place. Everquest is about 5% questing that gives nominal xp at best. Low lvl questing is where it’s at. Basically lvl 1 to maybe 15 or so. Past that it is all mob xp grinding. If you consider tradskilling a quest you may find it more appealing. Once again no xp for doing TS.

As far as the character classes to play, I would play whatever seems appealing to you. The Paladin is an excellent class and being a human makes it so you have little to no problems with vendors and quests. On the other hand Iksars are KoS pretty much everywhere except their own city. Which can make things a little difficult. Although I prefer the Iksar race over any other (I have and Iksar shaman).

I have played many many classes to about 30 or so and I like them all. If you are in it for the enjoyment of an mmorpg and the social aspect, you will really enjoy EQ on p99. Is there politics? Yup, but usually not until you are a high lvl raider. Until then you can just relax and enjoy the game. Find a group of people that play about the same time you do and your golden.

I hope you enjoy the server and best of luck to you.
P.S. If you decide to make an Iksar look me up. I can get you started with a set of banded cheap if you make a Shm/SK/War. Vronti is the name.
Last edited by Martan; 12-11-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Old 12-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Banned

Iksar is a great race for any of the classes they can be.

The starting zone, Field of Bone, is very well designed and you can grind in Kurn's until 20 or so. Just don't kill any of the badger-looking mobs and you won't be KoS by them in Kurn's and can freely walk by them as you seek to kill more undead.

Save your bone chips and sell them to players. Always kill skeletons carrying weapons, they will sell for decent monies at your home town.

I'd recommend Iksar monk or necro. I think both classes are good for new players as they can be effective without much gear. A necro can go 1-60 solo naked....and really all a monk needs is a couple of Master Wu's Trance Sticks and some cheap Wu's armor and HP rings / ears / etc. Can be ballin' on a budget for like 2k.

Group with people, ask for advice....heck you might run into a twink or two piloted by a very experienced / wealthy player and get a nice boost. Make friends!

edit: don't be afraid to use the wiki....I've been playing here for years and still keep it open almost always https://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page
Old 12-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Fire Giant

Once you pick a main /friend Amyas and send me a tell in game.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Grind exp and do quests for fun and items
Old 12-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, unfortunately if you are looking for a game that has a strong questing aspect to it you are probably in the wrong place. Everquest is about 5% questing that gives nominal xp at best. Low lvl questing is where it’s at. Basically lvl 1 to maybe 15 or so. Past that it is all mob xp grinding. If you consider tradskilling a quest you may find it more appealing. Once again no xp for doing TS.

As far as the character classes to play, I would play whatever seems appealing to you. The Paladin is an excellent class and being a human makes it so you have little to no problems with vendors and quests. On the other hand Iksars are KoS pretty much everywhere except their own city. Which can make things a little difficult. Although I prefer the Iksar race over any other (I have and Iksar shaman).

I have played many many classes to about 30 or so and I like them all. If you are in it for the enjoyment of an mmorpg and the social aspect, you will really enjoy EQ on p99. Is there politics? Yup, but usually not until you are a high lvl raider. Until then you can just relax and enjoy the game. Find a group of people that play about the same time you do and your golden.

I hope you enjoy the server and best of luck to you.
P.S. If you decide to make an Iksar look me up. I can get you started with a set of banded cheap if you make a Shm/SK/War. Vronti is the name.
Hi,

Thanks for replying. As a point of clarification, I'm not looking to go 1-60 from questing, but if I go to a new town I am the kind of player that will run from NPC to NPC spamming 'H' to look for quests to do. I can grind here and there in between, and in fulfillment of, quest objectives. It was more meant as a "If anyone wants to group up, be aware that I will prioritize running down quests and TS's to grinding mobs for hours." Last night I spent about three hours doing nothing but fishing and jumping off a building so I could bandage myself back up :P

Happy adventuring!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Skeleton

Questing is funner than grouping and grinding for sure, just less rewarding. I still pointlessly do it despite knowing i can farm stuff and sell for better loot.
Closed Thread