Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Differences betwen necro and magician?

They are both summoners. Both have tank pets and dps pets, right? Can magicians heal the pet like necro do? Why is necro better at soloing, because of feign death and life tap? WHats the difference on their pets?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

Mage has no cc spells outside of earth pet. You pretty much summon pet, pet gets low, summon another. Over and over again.
Necro can do a little bit of everything. Split camps, ghetto heal, ghetto mez, feed mana, charm undead and the list goes on.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Sarnak

The mage's pets are stronger at every level, and generally no matter what the mob type, levels or zone, the mage's spell bar and strategy is not going to deviate too much, other than which pet and its kit is better for that scenario.

The necro's spell bar is going to be totally different depending on mob type, whether undead, higher or lower lvl stuff, indoor confined space vs outdoor open space. the necro can root rot, fear kite, pet and nuke, pet and dot, charm kill, CC in groups, healing, what have you.. and they also have more survivability with lifetaps, harmshield, feign death and mez. sustain etc etc etc.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeska [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They are both summoners. Both have tank pets and dps pets, right? Can magicians heal the pet like necro do? Why is necro better at soloing, because of feign death and life tap? WHats the difference on their pets?
Necros are a tremendously versatile class probably best described as a hybrid monk/enchanter. The skeleton is nice but it barely scratches the surface of what a necro can do. FD + snare + CoS means you are a solid splitter, root + screaming terror gives you some CC, damage over time spells + lich means you can root rot, the heal over time spells are extremely good, and then of course you have charm.

Magicians do have some tricks (mostly involving Call of the Hero) but their spellbook is far more limited. 99% of the time it's send pet & nuke. On the other hand, what mages do they do well. The epic pet is disgusting (although not quite so good now that it's balanced vs melee with Velious gear) and even just the normal Greater Vocarations are very good and the focus staves are easy to get. 33 point damage shield is fantastic. And Magicians can nuke nearly as well as a Wizard.

TLDR: both classes are pretty underrated, but Necro is far more of a finesse class.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:52 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I used to play a Wizard and I was 90% of the time sitting OOM. Hows the experience having a pet class, I imagine It will be less boring because you have the pet who can auto attack even if you are OOM right? Which one has more sustained DPS in groups? I guess necro because charm + Pet + Necro DPS should be higher than Magician + pet right?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Planar Protector

If you ever run into a mage epic pet on red as a caster, run for the hills... it really is some sick damage, I think one took my wizard out in about 5-6 seconds lol

If you're someone who likes to group, go mage. Very under represented on P99 mainly because of the solo situation. If you prefer to solo roll a necro because FD, dots, a still useful pet and some utility will save you from some nasty situations when things go bad.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you ever run into a mage epic pet on red as a caster, run for the hills... it really is some sick damage, I think one took my wizard out in about 5-6 seconds lol

If you're someone who likes to group, go mage. Very under represented on P99 mainly because of the solo situation. If you prefer to solo roll a necro because FD, dots, a still useful pet and some utility will save you from some nasty situations when things go bad.
I like to group honestly but, is it hard to get groups 1-60 because of low population or something?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeska [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like to group honestly but, is it hard to get groups 1-60 because of low population or something?
Not at all. P99 has groups all over the place.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not at all. P99 has groups all over the place.
This is true for Blue servers. Not for red, which I think is what he was posting about.

Between Classic, Kunark and Velious there are about 110-120 zones. Currently Red has 130 people on, barely enough for 1 person per zone. Just as an example of how desolate it is there. Especially for people who play in off-hours.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is true for Blue servers. Not for red, which I think is what he was posting about.

Between Classic, Kunark and Velious there are about 110-120 zones. Currently Red has 130 people on, barely enough for 1 person per zone. Just as an example of how desolate it is there. Especially for people who play in off-hours.
Im a PVE guy, what made you think otherwise xD?
Closed Thread