Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Large Bat

Default Game has become essentially unplayable

I know we've all seen the other posts about all the crashes / freezing / disconnections that started last week, but I have yet to see any official word on what is going on or how it is being addressed.

Its just such a strange problem, because once I actually get my character into the game, everything plays fine (at least until I try to zone). The problems only happen when trying to log in to the server / load the world / enter a new zone.

Does anyone behind the scenes have any idea what is the root cause of this?
Old 02-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Latency
Old 02-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Sarnak

I've had significant crashing for some time, and the issues seem suspiciously related to the release of the first patch for the new servers. They do have their own DLL in there doing who knows what. If Everquest is loading that DLL and it's getting itself into trouble, it could certainly take down the whole shebang, which is what I suspect is happening.

A VPN should absolutely not be required to play P99, it never has up to this point, and never should. The issues are either with the DLL or something on the server side that is hosing the client somehow. It just needs to be debugged, which can be a real bitch sometimes especially when dealing with multi-threading, network latency, and all those types of variables. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out soon.

Please don't forget to donate to the project and help support the people who spend a significant amount of time working on all this:

(Yellow button on the right on home page)
https://www.project1999.com/

EQFriends Consolidation Tool - consolidate all your friends
Auction/Logfile Notifier - logfile watcher with text/email notification
Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Orc

Default Not latency issue

It isn't a "Latency" issue. I have 100 up/down fiber and a new rig with all the flashy custom stuff so its not an issue on my end. I have issues logging in telling me I might wanna consider reinstalling the patch files...I do no changes. I get a consistent empty server list just black screen. When I do get in the moment I zone it is slow as dirt or crashes and yay repeat original issue. We never had this problem before teal was made green either so imho its to much load on the single server or the recent patch issues. Though this needs addressed and fixed when possible by dev/admin teams.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:39 PM
Planar Protector

Its likely a network latency issue. This can cause everything you're describing. This isnt to say your internet isnt sufficient enough. It could be pack loss/filtering or latency between the hops your traffic is being routed. A lot of people resolve this by using a VPN which effectively re-routes traffic around the problem
Old 02-11-2020, 11:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its likely a network latency issue. This can cause everything you're describing. This isnt to say your internet isnt sufficient enough. It could be pack loss/filtering or latency between the hops your traffic is being routed. A lot of people resolve this by using a VPN which effectively re-routes traffic around the problem
A VPN will often times add latency, because of the additional encryption and hops to get to the destination and back, especially if the endpoint is in another country, which many of them are.

Again, people were not reporting problems in such high frequency until fairly recently with the new servers. VPN isn't the solution, people need to stop recommending it as any sort of "fix".

EQFriends Consolidation Tool - consolidate all your friends
Auction/Logfile Notifier - logfile watcher with text/email notification