Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 03-26-2022, 02:50 AM
Planar Protector

We know trade sanctions hurt people on both sides. We worked that out when bickering about Trump/china a couple of years back. Sanctioning Russia was never gonna be painless for the USA.

The messaging by Biden doesn’t sound very consistent or very well thought out (from what you describe - post Trump American politics is barely covered in out local news anymore).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-26-2022, 03:04 AM
Banned

I'm more worried about africa and Europe.

Ppl in murica can eat a little less or swap brands. Or if a corporation could profit less. (Still probably profit tho).

Plus we have Canada and Mexico as pretty strong potential trade partners for our essentials. Don't worry about the US overmuch.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

Last time I read, much of Africa wasn’t really in on the sanctions vs Russia. It’s mainly Europe and the most anglicised members of the anglophones (so North America, Oz and New Zealand).

Europe was already turning into fields full of sun traps and windmills. Apparently many of the euro nations are doubling down on this (though I’ve not heard of UK offering further grants/incentives for such investments - there used to be a generous array of options but the government cut them).

Old 03-26-2022, 03:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last time I read, much of Africa wasn’t really in on the sanctions vs Russia. It’s mainly Europe and the most anglicised members of the anglophones (so North America, Oz and New Zealand).

Europe was already turning into fields full of sun traps and windmills. Apparently many of the euro nations are doubling down on this (though I’ve not heard of UK offering further grants/incentives for such investments - there used to be a generous array of options but the government cut them).
That'll help some. It will still be a lot of hardship.

I don't want to see ppl or their pets have to starve tho. I am less worried about energy (oil companies invested deeply in green energy research ages ago) and more worried about famine. That sorta thing.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:44 AM
Planar Protector

If these sanctions are not a deterrent.

And they are instead to like egg Russians on to revolt and kill Putin.

Isn't that an act of war?

Wtf are they for if they are not a deterrent?

A deterrent to others? Is that what they are saying they are for?

Could a Biden supporter explain this without ad hominem?
Old 03-26-2022, 05:32 AM
Planar Protector

Well Russia are starting to declare ‘mission accomplished ‘, so are moving closer to winding down. Sounds like deterrent may be working.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:08 AM
Planar Protector

I guess I will accept what biden was saying loudly and clearly was just not on message.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If these sanctions are not a deterrent.

And they are instead to like egg Russians on to revolt and kill Putin.

Isn't that an act of war?

Wtf are they for if they are not a deterrent?

A deterrent to others? Is that what they are saying they are for?

Could a Biden supporter explain this without ad hominem?
Are Europeans Biden supporters? The sanctions are Western consensus, not an “act of war” orchestrated by Joe Biden
Old 03-26-2022, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well Russia are starting to declare ‘mission accomplished ‘, so are moving closer to winding down. Sounds like deterrent may be working.
Sanctions should remain in place until all borders changed by Russia (including in Georgia and Moldova) are rectified and Putin is on trial at The Hague
Old 03-26-2022, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess I will accept what biden was saying loudly and clearly was just not on message.
Not received any messaging from Biden on my end. As previously stated American politics isn’t being covered atm.

Please summarise his messaging? Atm i’m hearing more from the Kremlin in the news.