Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The clever bit of WoW's UI was opening it up to customization via APIs and then letting the players craft the UI for them. All you have to do then is tune the APIs when the players find weaknesses and all of the different market segments are happy.
That's also a plus. Everyone has their subjective opinion or taste when it comes to a MMO's UI. It was still a great default UI at the time of its release especially when compared to the competition.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was still a great default UI at the time of its release especially when compared to the competition.
Huge understatement.

It's a bit outdated by today's standards, but it still holds up 15 years later and it's still mostly unchanged today.

EQ's UI has been updated how many times? DAOC's UI is and has always been shit. FFXI was a nightmare, especially on the PC.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please tell me why that UI is bad without saying "i'm very old and too many hotkeys confuse me" There's a good reason why WoW's UI was exceptionally solid and why so many wanted to emulate it.
Having a mini map is related to the gameplay itself. In eq, your character must develop skills in order to navigate the world (sense heading) and developing your own ability to navigate using /location. You are removing those aspects in order to make the navigating integrated into the UI. The world is designed with using its use in mind. It is not as immersive. You don't even have to keep up with where your groupmates are in some versions of this. Pass

Quest Log: You don't have to keep up with anything, it does it for you. "Fetch me my lost sword, I will mark it on your map, glowing arrow shows the way". Pass.

The multitude of buttons, UI and the gameplay. Having everything laid out means you don't have to make any selections for what you are about to do. No forethought required. They are also tied to the cool down system these kinds of games employ.. "I click this, which sets up this cut, then I follow with this, it sets up this ultimate move".. this is known as a button masher game. Pass.

The UI will tell you how a game like this is going to be. I say its bad, it's bad imo because I don't like the games. It is written on the UI itself. EQ came from CRPG design, WoW came from accessibility to garner more players. Pass.
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-22-2019 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: I am ooold and buttons confuse me.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:24 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-22-2019 at 08:26 PM..
Old 11-23-2019, 02:08 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having a mini map is related to the gameplay itself. In eq, your character must develop skills in order to navigate the world (sense heading) and developing your own ability to navigate using /location. You are removing those aspects in order to make the navigating integrated into the UI. The world is designed with using its use in mind. It is not as immersive. You don't even have to keep up with where your groupmates are in some versions of this. Pass

Quest Log: You don't have to keep up with anything, it does it for you. "Fetch me my lost sword, I will mark it on your map, glowing arrow shows the way". Pass.

The multitude of buttons, UI and the gameplay. Having everything laid out means you don't have to make any selections for what you are about to do. No forethought required. They are also tied to the cool down system these kinds of games employ.. "I click this, which sets up this cut, then I follow with this, it sets up this ultimate move".. this is known as a button masher game. Pass.

The UI will tell you how a game like this is going to be. I say its bad, it's bad imo because I don't like the games. It is written on the UI itself. EQ came from CRPG design, WoW came from accessibility to garner more players. Pass.
Ok so I'm going to go under the assumption that you haven't played many videogames outside of EQ in your life. Many RPG's that existed had maps prior to EQ. Including games like Elder Scrolls Arena/Daggerfall, Ultima VII ect. And it's not like EQ had a difficult world to understand. The overland zones were very primitive with only a few props here and there that stood out, but mostly there were all shaped into squares and if you wanted to play it safe you would just wallhug to avoid trouble. Vanguard, much like many MMO's from the 2000's and onwards were a lot more complex and dense than EQ1 rectangle/square patterned zones especially when every zone was filled with over a 30+ quests.

Regarding quest log: Yeah, there was a shit ton of quests in Vanguard. Everquest didn't have much questing, and for the questing that did exist; 90% were shit and useless and only a few actually mattered. I stopped played Vanguard when I was a level 25, but I do recall having completed around 100 or so quests.

Quote:
Having everything laid out means you don't have to make any selections for what you are about to do. No forethought required.
Ok now I know for certain you never played these games and all your assumptions are completely based off ignorance. Endgame for many of these games require you to have at least an understanding of around 10-30 abilities and how you utilize them during a fight can be very crucial. Let's not pretend that EQ1 has very complicated classes, especially the melee ones such as warrriors who have auto-attack and occasionaly kick/bash and taunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What exactly is this image suppose to convey? That a form of entertainment is the equivalent to driving a car? If you're comparing a videogame where the entire point is to entertain yourself to that of driving in real life than perhaps you need a reality check.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 11-23-2019 at 02:35 AM..
Old 11-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
This message is hidden because Bisonzabi is on your ignore list.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What exactly is this image suppose to convey? That a form of entertainment is the equivalent to driving a car? If you're comparing a videogame where the entire point is to entertain yourself to that of driving in real life than perhaps you need a reality check.
Funny when you consider that automobiles effectively standardized their "interfaces" around the WW1 era. I think Cadillac developed the control layout we take for granted today. Ever try driving a replica model T Ford? It's nuts! Pretty much nothing on that car but the steering wheel works like you'd expect it to. I bet that a hundred years ago there was someone, somewhere, who hated Cadillac's system and preferred having his throttle on the steering column and the transmission worked by pedals on the floor. Can't please everyone.

Granted, at this stage there's not much else to talk about. Pantheon is itself too far off yet, and too early ("pre-alpha?" that's developer-speak for "Anything can change.") in development to be able to talk about it in very concrete terms.

Danth
Old 11-23-2019, 11:30 PM
Banned

^

Well, i can see his quote. I had started to read his nonsense reply but decided to ignore him instead. Save me the effort of having to explain something he obviously doesn't understand.

The picture was showing the de-evolution of stick to paddle shifter to a self driving car. To tie this back into video games, it is like I said above. Learning and doing things in a game that involve (manual shift, clutch) you to cutting the human error out (paddle shifter) that requires non of that in order to drive. Progressing into a fully self driving car that completely takes it out (you are just a passenger). It is joked about in some circles, games are currently in the paddle shifter phase and will proceed into the self driving. That way young kids can load up their favorite cloud stream game, let it play itself while they sit on their cyber couches eating soy chips.

Yeah, I do entertain myself while driving. I am a man.

Last edited by Mblake81; 11-23-2019 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: i am ooooooold
Old 11-23-2019, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

Think we already got there Blake. A few years ago I tried some game on my cousin's computer. It had a "skip level" option when the player lost. I was disgusted and lost interest immediately.

As for cars, I like comfy floaty older-style Cadillacs and Buicks. Nice and relaxing! Shifting gears? Let the car do that, don't care. I think the push-button gear selector Chrysler was using back in the 50's and 60's was a neat idea. Conventional manual transmissions are gradually dying out, even in racing. Sprint cars don't generally shift. Open-wheel cars usually use push button shifting or something similar. Stock cars retain the traditional layout but in races the drivers are commonly shifting w/o the clutch nowadays. Fine by me, stuff like Ford F600's long ago cured me of any enjoyment out of manipulating gears.

Edit: As for self-driving cars, I rather dislike the notion. I don't even like having the radio on while I drive--drowns out too many external sounds. But then I also dislike the poor state of driver training in the U.S. more generally. I've always felt that the (pretty basic) training I got in police academy years ago should've been about standard. Then I think of the terror associated with the rare few occasions I go anyplace with the wife driving and I decide maybe self-driving cars aren't such a bad idea for some folks.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 11-23-2019 at 11:52 PM..
Old 11-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny when you consider that automobiles effectively standardized their "interfaces" around the WW1 era. I think Cadillac developed the control layout we take for granted today. Ever try driving a replica model T Ford? It's nuts! Pretty much nothing on that car but the steering wheel works like you'd expect it to. I bet that a hundred years ago there was someone, somewhere, who hated Cadillac's system and preferred having his throttle on the steering column and the transmission worked by pedals on the floor. Can't please everyone.
The point is that the priority of an automobile is still meant for transportation. Yes, you can find entertainment out of driving, but that's not the main intention of it. Claiming that flooding your ability to see in a car (where you life could be at stake) is the same as your ability to see in a videogame is asinine.

Quote:
Granted, at this stage there's not much else to talk about. Pantheon is itself too far off yet, and too early ("pre-alpha?" that's developer-speak for "Anything can change.") in development to be able to talk about it in very concrete terms.
Now that Brad's gone, I don't think this project has any chance of going anywhere. Likely will die out soon. Lot of people hopped onto the anticipation of the game from his name alone. Without him, the community surrounding it might fall apart. On top of this, there was no explanation for his death, which means a red flag on how he passed away. Given his troubled past, it could've been a relapse into drug addiction. And if that's the case, that can spell poison for the PR of a project like this.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 11-24-2019 at 07:08 AM..
Closed Thread