Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Large Rat

Default VPN's IP exemptions and roomates

the point of this thread is to get a straight answer since im reading alot of different opinions so ill start.

i have a VPN on my laptop not on my desktop, i have the VPN for travel from cleveland ohio to toronto. Canada does not allow streaming services from the US to work thier IP blocked.

I have a roomate he is also interested in playing on 99 with me so we applied for the IP exemption. so my real question is could i just install the VPN on my desktop and notify the GM that him and i are going to be playing togather.

were not trying to hide anything were just tring to play the game and be as upfront as possible. i think this would save the GM the hassle of having to ip exempt us which as one GM on reddit posted was a "soulcrushing time cunsuming process"
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Fire Giant

If your using the VPN you would be appearing to come from a different IP so i don't see how they would know anyway.

I assume they use software to detect incoming connections from the same IP, so in your case it wouldnt trigger said alarms anyway.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Large Rat

True but at the same time im trying to be as transparent as possible. if it will save the gm some time they can track the account to watch for boxing still.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Fire Giant

there has been a lot of talk on this subject. It would be worth your time to look into the many, many, many posts of the special .dll file in your directory.

The short answer to your question is, they check IP address and device names. If you're being honest than it shouldn't be an issue, otherwise, even if it takes years, you'll eventually get caught and suffer a suspension or ban.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Large Rat

yeah i have read through alot of the posts. pretty much why i made this post [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Fire Giant

Long story short being honest seems futile. I only say this because its so easy for a person to say "My wife wants to play" and them 2 box. Nothing you can say will ever really convince anyone that what your doing is legit.

The proof as they say is in the pudding (e.g when they appear to do a random check on you). By getting an exemption you will probably be added to a list to be checked at some point.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I am awaiting my ip exemption. I think if I was in your shoes I'd play it safe and just request an IP exemption and wait for it to be answered. I mean, I'm new and don't really know much but that's my take.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

You'd pass a boxing check as there's 2 of you, don't be tempted to be the guy who logs the second account in and tries to scramble to get someone (girlfriend/brother/kid) to run to the computer to pretend they were playing when the staff show up - they're going to know.