Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue is just kinda bad in classic. Their DPS isn't particularly high and they bring nothing else to the table, plus they don't really get good weapons outside of raids. When you compare the garbage that a non-raiding rogue will be wielding to things like mithril 2h, SSoY and monk fists, it's no wonder the class usually sucks. Better if you can get one of the raid piercers, but we all know that 95% of players will have no chance whatsoever of killing dragons or gods. For the vast majority of rogues, the best you can hope for is to one day nab a lucky Eyerazzia, and it could take many months.
So pure vanilla, no dragons / Sky / Fear / Hate, you have what as the best 1h? SSoY? 8/24 with 75DD proc?

Rogues have:
Burning Rapier 7/20 with 37DD proc. Gloomwater Harpoon is 9/31. Polished Steel Dirk 8/23. Serrated Bone Dirk 8/27 but unfriendly proc.
All of which obtainable with the same sized force (duo, group, etc.) needed to get a SSoY.
Not a bad deal, really.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Sarnak

Thanks guys. I know melee damage will suck. I know rogues don't have a ton of great weapons, but mostly access to similar stuff as everyone else, so with backstab at least they do a little bit more damage than everyone (not completely useless, just not essential).

I am no closer to making a decision! I will probably play them all to mid level and see which one i want to go further with. Regardless i will have a mage to play to at least feel somewhat useful at launch
Old 10-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

Meh, it's been a while but Rangers actually do okay in classic... you can tank classic non-god/dragon mobs with snap aggro AND DPS? Yes, please.

Worth 40% xp penalty? Depends on how much a glutton for punishment you are. Your non-hybrid friends with outlevel you and leave you behind. The min-maxers will look over you for grouping.

Clearly that changes when Kunark launches, mobs hit a lot harder, and their mitigation/avoidance lags behind.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaramis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So pure vanilla, no dragons / Sky / Fear / Hate, you have what as the best 1h? SSoY? 8/24 with 75DD proc?

Rogues have:
Burning Rapier 7/20 with 37DD proc. Gloomwater Harpoon is 9/31. Polished Steel Dirk 8/23. Serrated Bone Dirk 8/27 but unfriendly proc.
All of which obtainable with the same sized force (duo, group, etc.) needed to get a SSoY.
Not a bad deal, really.
Burning Rapier is not in for 7 months (Temple of Sol Ro).
No idea what a Polished Steel Dirk is, the only 8/23 item is Cazic Quill which comes out with Epics
Not sure how hard it is to get a Gloomwater Harpoon, but seems like an option.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Meh, it's been a while but Rangers actually do okay in classic... you can tank classic non-god/dragon mobs with snap aggro AND DPS? Yes, please.

Worth 40% xp penalty? Depends on how much a glutton for punishment you are. Your non-hybrid friends with outlevel you and leave you behind. The min-maxers will look over you for grouping.

Clearly that changes when Kunark launches, mobs hit a lot harder, and their mitigation/avoidance lags behind.
Yeah, rangers are legitimately good outside of raids. In raids they're a bit meh, but almost all raid loot in classic is restricted to one class so it's not like people won't bring a ranger to raids. There's practically no cross-class competition for gear and no maximum raid size. People won't go out of their way to recruit rangers but there's no reason to exclude them from raids.

Given P99's hopeless raiding scene, the vast majority of players will never raid. When the endgame consists of dungeons, soloing and dicking around, ranger is a great class. Perfectly serviceable tank, good enough DPS to do that role as well, and extremely self-sufficient. When I think of ideal group setup (that aren't just 5 mages and an enchanter or something), it has a ranger in it as the snarer, backup tank and outoors puller.

When you're grinding in LGuk, it really doesn't matter whether mobs die in 20 or 22 seconds. It's much more important that shit gets tanked and that someone's able to stick a snare early enough to avoid accidents. You don't really want a druid snaring on inc, but a ranger can easily do it. If the tank isn't an SK, I'd take a ranger over a rogue any day.

Outside the grinding meta, it's just insanely convenient to have SoW, great tracking, respectable melee, harmony, invis, and both root and snare. It's such a useful utility package. For the longest time, all melees will be wearing the same gear anyway so the only thing the other tanks have really over a ranger is a higher hp pool which is pretty irrelevant when people are mostly healing with greater healing. It's not until planar armor that the plate tanks start to move ahead.
Last edited by Noselacri; 10-02-2019 at 08:44 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Sarnak

Plus Rangets get a wide range of quest gear. Most of the mobs for the quest are not contested and the below gear will easily carry you until 50 when you can start killing dragons and planar mobs. Other melee classes also have quested gear, however, the rangers seems easiest to obtain.

Sword of Morin
Orc Impaler
Trueshot Longbow / Raincaller
Ivy Etched
Hero bracers
Old 10-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No idea what a Polished Steel Dirk is
It's a little-known item that occasionally dropped off spectres in qeynos catacombs. They aren't present on the P99 wiki but people were using them on P99 in 2010-2011 pre-kunark.

Danth
Old 10-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Even in the most vanilla version with crappy gear rogues do ok DPS. Gear to gear more than a warrior or ranger. Poison is expensive but gives an trick up the sleeve if you have time to prep a dose. The asp stuff is a cheap low skill DD to make.

I played a rogue on live thinking it was the underdog. Probably why I was jealous of rangers. Besides looking cool and having utility spells/tracking that is.

You have compare apples to apples in this game. Few people do. A lot of theorycrafting with “once I get___”.
Last edited by Snaggles; 10-06-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I played a monk in vanilla and all the way through POP before leaving, as I return to P99 green for some fun I can tell you that monks are good tanks, pullers, and DPS. however th only thing they accel at is DPS. the others ra ejust kind of OK for a while. you aren't going to be able ot get a fungi, or a Tstaff, or some other random great lvl 50 item that will be fun and really change the tables. For a long time you will be using the Wu's items, yoru bare fists, and mend/FD/Bandages will be your best friend as you level up.

I played a ranger once velious came out because they were so powerful once it rolled out. it was a hell of a lot of fun, but again I had a bank full of twink gear to make the leveling a non consideration. if I had to re-learn with nothing but a busted single handed sword I may have pulled my hair out.

Never played a rogue
Old 10-28-2019, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

I played a ranger in kunark and no one cared or mentioned exp penalty. I was in amateur groups up to high 40s in dreadlands and no one ever complained that my dual lamentation and constant taunting meant that I was taking most of the hits.

Good times.

On rallos zek I played one too but did stealth solo leveling so as not to get jacked. On that server basically ogre shamans were hi threat because their 120 base strength meant they hit me more reliably hard when jousting and I hated how weak elf's were in banded vs fatties.

On green I'd just be whatever you like. Hybrids way nicer to live with than a warrior. You won't be pharming much but you can get around the world with much more ease
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread