Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AktionT4 Send a message via AIM to AktionT4 Send a message via Yahoo to AktionT4
Default ResetDevice() Failed!

I alt-tab quite a bit and every so often, I'll get this error ResetDevice() Failed! when tabbing in and out of the game. Basically, the game crashes and I have to restart.

I'm currently using a quad core I7 with an nVidia GTX275 with current drivers.

The eqgame.exe is run in compatibility mode for XP SP3.

By the way, I received this error when I was not using compatibility mode so this has nothing to do with it.

I tried using WinEQ2 - but it screws with my lateral mouselook movements where up/down movement is normal but right/left movement is super sensitive.

... anyhow, just thought I'd toss this out there for posterity.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Developer

This error would be thrown if DirectX failed to reset the Direct3D device. This occurs during events such as screensavers, changing the resolution, alt-tabing from full screen, etc.

It's most likely a result of a problem with your video driver or maybe even a hiccup on the card itself where this particular hardware call is returning the wrong value. It's also possible that the EQ client isn't handling the reset properly due to a race condition..

I would suggest trying newer or older video card drivers. This particular error could be caused by a lot of random things. But if you won't experience it in EQ then it might be a client bug. And that can't be fixed.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AktionT4 Send a message via AIM to AktionT4 Send a message via Yahoo to AktionT4

I'll chalk it up to running a 10+ year old game on Windows 7 64bit.

I can deal with it - just thought it was worth mentioning here in case other's are experiencing the same issue.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Aviak

I get the same error from time to time after tabbing in and switching back to full screen from the options menu. Like you, I don't have the problem outside of EQ and I attributed it to running an old game in Win7 64bit.

On a side note, I switch to full screen like that because my image automatically compresses itself when running in windowed mode, automatically removing several rows of pixels. Is there an option anywhere to turn off the auto-compression in windowed mode? It makes reading chat windows and item boxes difficult and is unnecessary.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Fire Giant

I get this problem as well. But I can't tell you all the information and whatnot cause I have no idea. I realize that is of no use to you. LOL

So new video card you say?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Developer

It sounds like the client just isn't handling the device reset properly. There's nothing that can be done about that.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, same prob, though maybe worse. Last year I was on grand creation, when I bought a new card and monitor. I switched from ATI to Geforce and eq didn’t like it at all. Running xp with Geforce 8400 at 1280x720. First, whenever I start eq, it always washes the screen out, like higher contrast but poor color (to desktop). Second, the pointer was moving too fast horizontally while vertical was too slow. I just reinstalled and that seems to have been corrected with the pointer. But still the washout and when I try to switch to full screen it gives the Fail error as you mentioned.

It’s not 10yr old, but from 2005, as it’s the Titanium box. So updated to then, but not current enough now I guess. Since the /mouse/pointer works, plan to keep it installed, but the washout is the nasty part as I need to reboot/hibernate to reset the color.

I might try the unsupported client-update-expansion version some time, maybe that will resolve it. I'm using my old Titanium box. I mean if the update works... don't know it's problems here at this point, if it's worth it compared to this existing problem.
Last edited by Daywolf; 06-15-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Grab WinEQ2, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grab WinEQ2, problem solved.
Thanks, but is that a guess or a solution to a common problem? I mean others reporting the same prob and it worked for them? Thanks. Edit: Oh maybe you do know, missed the glorified title [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ok I'll tinker a little bit more then try that.

BTW, anyone know off hand the config file name for full screen settings? It would contain something like Fullscreen = 1 or true.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Reason I mention using WinEQ2 is that the Titanium client in windowed mode, overall, is about as stable as a house of cards in a windstorm. I couldn't even log into eqemu on my home rig till I got it. My laptop does ok without however.

WinEQ2 Comes with EQPlayNice built in, still. EQPlayNice is what kept EQ from being a monstrous resource hog and tying up a lot of DLL's and processor power/ram back in the day. While EQ was optimized, and it was optimized before Titanium, EQPlayNice worked (and still does work) better than what Sony's modifications did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.