Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let me help put this into perspective for you. Taking a stance of just solo power only, my Iksar Shaman which possesses identical regeneration as a troll could solo every bit as fast as a Dark Elf necromancer once she reached level 34. The closer I got to 50, the stronger the character became and the regen was a key factor with the leveling speed. The character used wisdom caster items only - no melee from 34 on. So what I'm basically asserting is - don't look at the racial experience penalty for having regeneration as a drawback. It absolutely is not critical by any means.
I think I agree with the bold part but I think your description of the rest of the stuff is a bit inflated. I like regen (I mean, I went troll after all), but I still think that pre-kunark it is just too minor to make much of a difference.

In a fight that lasts 1-2 minutes, how often do you really think ~20-50 extra hit points of regen is going to be a difference maker? That's not even enough hp to canni into 1 root cast. It's 1 melee round from a level 20 mob. Is 1-3 extra hp per tick of regen over the course of 200-300+ hours of leveling the equivalent of 5% or 10% more exp required (besides FSI and barb gear/faction perks having some sort of effect)? I think it's a wash at best, but that the regen scaling at 51+ becomes very significant and is the only perk that has meaning in most group and raid settings.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-05-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Old 11-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Sarnak

Always went troll shammy for the regen and clicky, have max'd troll on blue and live blahnik blah,blah.

I'll tell you right now I've been wrong all this time, ogre is better. frontal stun immunity is better than regen. I rerolled ogre because troll starting area was so crowded, its clearly better. You will die less with FSI than with regen, especially when it counts on those named farming spots
Old 11-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

Ogres are ugly tho
Old 11-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

Better looking that Ogres. Giant garbage patch kids. Trolls have that Triangle a e s t h e t i c

I think people drastically underestimate how much of a perk that regen can be in a fresh server leveling context. Under 24 it cuts a lot of downtime solo, and Shaman solo under 24 is a miserable fucking slog. In groups it means you can take a few whacks and not have to bother healing yourself but you'll still be fully healed in a pretty short amount of time. It's pretty useful.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think I agree with the bold part but I think your description of the rest of the stuff is a bit inflated. I like regen (I mean, I went troll after all), but I still think that pre-kunark it is just too minor to make much of a difference.
From levels 20-49 the regen for a sitting Troll & Iksar is 6hp per tick. From my personal experience, I leveled my Iksar using just casting gear from 35-41 off of a two spawn guard tower in West Karana, and from 41-49 off of the Den & Friends camp of dwarves in Butcherblock. Could a Barbarian have done the same camps at the same level range? Absolutely, sure. The issue I was having at the bottom end of the level ranges were resists, and there were some times when the spawns were happening that I'd have to bake off extra mana to compensate. Meanwhile, at the upper end of the level range I could bake off more mana for faster damage to get the mobs dead so that the timer was started sooner, so over time I was having them spawn faster.

There are better camps of course, but they are going to be camped hard (misty thicket guards, dock dwarves). That's why I picked those two camps, and without a question the regen assisted when the camps were hard as well as when they became easy to clear. The regen was probably giving me a return of visible mana of my bar of about a bubble and a half that I otherwise wouldn't have had.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From levels 20-49 the regen for a sitting Troll & Iksar is 6hp per tick. From my personal experience, I leveled my Iksar using just casting gear from 35-41 off of a two spawn guard tower in West Karana, and from 41-49 off of the Den & Friends camp of dwarves in Butcherblock. Could a Barbarian have done the same camps at the same level range? Absolutely, sure. The issue I was having at the bottom end of the level ranges were resists, and there were some times when the spawns were happening that I'd have to bake off extra mana to compensate. Meanwhile, at the upper end of the level range I could bake off more mana for faster damage to get the mobs dead so that the timer was started sooner, so over time I was having them spawn faster.

There are better camps of course, but they are going to be camped hard (misty thicket guards, dock dwarves). That's why I picked those two camps, and without a question the regen assisted when the camps were hard as well as when they became easy to clear. The regen was probably giving me a return of visible mana of my bar of about a bubble and a half that I otherwise wouldn't have had.
I don't think that any of this refutes the arguments I made for why 1-50 regen bonuses are pretty insignificant, albeit convenient.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-05-2019 at 10:56 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Fire Giant

At level 50 a sitting troll only has 22% more hp regen than an ogre/barb. With rubi bp factored in, it's 19%. Using every single one of the extra HP for canni, a troll will get roughly an extra 20 mana PER MINUTE over an an ogre/barb.

Think about that. 20 mana. Per. Minute. A single Envenomed Bolt is 320 mana. That's one extra Envenomed Bolt every 16 minutes or so.

The racial regen does not become significant until Kunark and post-50, at which point the availability of higher sources of regeneration still keep the increase relatively small. With as much regen as a 60 shaman can stack in Kunark, a troll will have 16% more standing hp regen than an ogre/barb will. Sitting it's 19% more.

So basically the only time when racial regen comes out to be significantly higher health regeneration is when it's considered at level 60 and without fungi tunic/staff and, obviously, pre-Torpor.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Fire Giant

Good enough. It wasn't my intent to mislead others - I was just going off of my own experiences. I will also confess that I had access to Canni 2, which is moderately more powerful than Canni 1. I agree with your findings on the math and what mana a lvl 20-49 and then 50 regen would provide.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At level 50 a sitting troll only has 22% more hp regen than an ogre/barb. With rubi bp factored in, it's 19%. Using every single one of the extra HP for canni, a troll will get roughly an extra 20 mana PER MINUTE over an an ogre/barb.

Think about that. 20 mana. Per. Minute. A single Envenomed Bolt is 320 mana. That's one extra Envenomed Bolt every 16 minutes or so.

The racial regen does not become significant until Kunark and post-50, at which point the availability of higher sources of regeneration still keep the increase relatively small. With as much regen as a 60 shaman can stack in Kunark, a troll will have 16% more standing hp regen than an ogre/barb will. Sitting it's 19% more.

So basically the only time when racial regen comes out to be significantly higher health regeneration is when it's considered at level 60 and without fungi tunic/staff and, obviously, pre-Torpor.
You can forget about ever acquiring a Rubicite Breastplate or Fungi Tunic. The list for those items will be measured in days, not hours, and the fatcats will inevitably sell them at massively inflated prices as soon as Green's economy normalizes.

Troll/Iksar regen is definitely noticeable while you're leveling and it improves exponentially in Kunark. I respect people who go without it to play a barb (ogre, not so much), but it's not something I would do. A shaman will always be able to make use of extra regen.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm planning to play either an Ogre or Troll Shaman, but unsure which to go with.
Which one looks better to you? That’s the real question, because otherwise Ogre is the only min max choice for three classes.
Closed Thread