Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeriya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing about p99 is classic
It's custom classic, as intended by Devs?
Old 12-16-2019, 05:20 AM
Kobold

ah someone beat me to FD being an exploit haha.
FD was originally designed to be a way for monks to lower their agro in groups (flop the agro)...like rogues evade. Being able to split mobs wasn't intended but once it caught on to the point everyone was doing it, they started tuning the game around this unintended effect.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Absolutely none of these examples are analogous to recharging through merchants
Every single one of these examples is analogous to recharging through merchants. The analogy is:

they are all unintended, advantage-giving, game mechanics discovered by the players, that were ultimately left in the game by the devs.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Every single one of these examples is analogous to recharging through merchants. The analogy is:

they are all unintended, advantage-giving, game mechanics discovered by the players, that were ultimately left in the game by the devs.
Sure, except recharging was removed in Luclin under the guise of an interface update, not a mechanic update, meaning it was:

A) Unintended.
B) Removed when the devs got wind of it on live.
C) Not emergent from mechanics working as intended, but rather from interface limitations.

All your examples were:

A) Unintended
B) Not removed (or at least not that I could see) for at least years after Luclin
C) Emergent from multiple mechanics, each working as intended individually.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

Removing item recharging is on par with banning multiboxing. Prove me wrong.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure, except recharging was removed in Luclin under the guise of an interface update, not a mechanic update, meaning it was:

A) Unintended.
B) Removed when the devs got wind of it on live.
C) Not emergent from mechanics working as intended, but rather from interface limitations.

All your examples were:

A) Unintended
B) Not removed (or at least not that I could see) for at least years after Luclin
C) Emergent from multiple mechanics, each working as intended individually.
They jacked up the prices on the items commonly abused at that time. Years later it was removed altogether but was effectively nerfed in luclin because of rez staffs and fungusbeast glands
Old 12-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomacles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree. I think they intended it from the start. Someone knowingly placed a price for the vendors to charge for the items. That would not have happened had it been an exploit or oversight.
This is one of the worst arguments I've ever seen attempted by someone on the internet.

Most items in the game have vendor sale prices regardless of whether the item can has charges or not, including things like Flowing Black Silk Sash and Short Sword of the Ykesha.

So no, the developers didn't implement vendor sale prices just because the item recharge exploit was somehow intended. That's ridiculous and easily proven false.

If item recharging was intentional then it would have been an actual system in the game. For example, maybe they could have made a container and called it something like Box of the Void, and then allowed players to combine items inside of it along with, I don't know, maybe something called a Mana Battery and then that would recharge the item.

Oh yeah those are items that exist in the game, so I guess if that doesn't recharge your item then that item wasn't meant to be recharged.

That's just the straight facts. But then the question is whether the recharging exploit adds enough value to the game to warrant keeping it, and that can surely be debated. But ultimately the developers get to decide, and they've decided that for now that recharging is good for the game. There are plenty of exploits that they decided weren't good for the game and removed, such as warping across WK and pathing exploits in HHK/Steamfont/HS.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure what pathing issues you're talking about but in classic there were issues where you could force mobs to take the long way around an obstacle while you took a shorter way letting you effectively kite within a room. There was also a few issues where you could get LoS on mobs but they wouldn't have LoS back on you, if I recall. Allowing you to root and cast on them and they couldn't cast back, for example. These were exploits, not simply weird pathing in general.
i remember doing this in unrest right next to where entrance tunnel opens up to the fountains. You could like kite beetles and stuff right next to the doorway and they would run back and forth in a little triangle while you just strafe left and right along the wall.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Banned

soulfire hilt dropped in mm last night, do i have as much of a right to roll on the soulfire as he does now that anyone can use it from inventory?

last night i payed a cleric 132 plat for a 90% rez

it costs 168 plat to recharge a wc cap... the time it took me to get a port for the cleric, sit around naked, msg a bunch of people, finally get the rez it was 2 hours later

could have just capped and charged an extra 38 plat to my account for 2 hours of time 12 plat per hour.

I should abuse this like everyone else is... can't beat em join em?

Still a cheating exploit recharging items.

Moving this thread to rants and flames

Resolved
Old 12-19-2019, 04:14 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyBard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree, item recharging is basically duping.
I think that calling it duping instead of "recharging" is a lot more accurate, and damning.

I think that if the EQ devs intended for items to be recharged, they'd have introduced a recharge mechanic or officially sanctioned the duplicating of charged items via vendor.
Closed Thread