Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Screenshots

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Kobold

Default Names in fashion screenshots on the Wiki

I was wondering two things: Is this the appropriate place to even ask this, and if there are any corresponding rules.

There's a disclaimer on the bottom of the wiki, "The Project 1999 Wiki is not maintained by the P99 staff..."

So I'm not sure who to contact about this, because there is a degree of moderation going on. Never tried to contact wiki moderators before.

If you take a look at the page at https://wiki.project1999.com/Velvet-Trimmed_Satin_Robe , there's a picture of an iksar sporting the robe and an erudite, with the character name included. I prefer to not see the character name, but that's just my preference. What I noticed is that this same individual is also on the https://wiki.project1999.com/Fashion page... eight times.

I happened to notice that this individual is around on a lot of pages... and then I saw this on their user page: "This user is currently blocked. The latest block log entry is provided below for reference:

(Deleting valid wiki content and replacing it with personal version: to be clear, uploading your own pic is fine, but deleting other people's pictures to do so is not.)"

So I include that not to shame that individual, but just to acknowledge that there's some rules to follow around doing stuff on the wiki. Are there any rules on including names in fashion shots?

It might seem insanely petty, but I'm wondering if it's appropriate to simply crop names out of fashion pictures? I have no problem with them modeling, and the name everywhere bothers me, but that isn't enough to warrant me changing their stuff. I don't want to lose my ability to help the wiki because I had a fashion rage.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Sarnak

get over yourself, if people have collected the fashion, let them be honored for it. Loramin is the hero here, protecting our wiki from invaders and influencers!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

I see no problem with people having their name/guild in screenshots showing off items for fashion.

I do have a problem with people replacing other people's already submitted fashion images just to have their name/guild on the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfer777 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I'm not sure who to contact
https://wiki.project1999.com/index.p...rs&group=sysop
https://wiki.project1999.com/Help:Contents
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

This came up awhile back, and it was the only time I've ever had a "pow wow" with other wiki admins in the wiki talk system (as a side note, I'm not a fan of the wiki talk system).

We agreed on a basic policy, and I codified it here: https://wiki.project1999.com/Image_Policy

The short version is, we're building an encyclopedia, and in a perfect world there'd be no character names, but ... we don't live in a perfect world.

We decided that if "getting your name in the wiki" gets you to contribute images the wiki needs ... GREAT! We'd prefer name-less ones, but beggars can't be choosers, and we need tons of images.

Can someone replace an image that has a name, with an image without one? Yes*, because it's making the wiki more encyclopedia-like. BUT ... as I just said, we have TONS of items with no screenshots. Rather than spend time replacing items that already have images (with names), I think everyone would prefer see people contribute new images for items that need them.

* NOTE: It must be a completely new image, not just a crop of the other person's image. Again, our goal is a better wiki, and if people to go through the wiki cropping peoples' names out, we would get rid of some names, but in the long run we'd lose the "get my name in" motivation factor, and the wiki would have less images and wind up worse off.

Finally there's replacing images with someone else's name with your's. All that does is discourage people from contributing, so we will ban for doing that (after warning the person first, because of course not everyone sees that Image Policy page).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin is the hero here, protecting our wiki from invaders and influencers!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-25-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Old 10-26-2019, 01:02 AM
Kobold

Great loramin, that's an awesome answer to my questions! Helping fill out the wiki here and there when I can has turned out to be a real fun pastime that I didn't expect. Those guides are going to be bookmarked for sure. As are the guides that Baler added.

Eezl, i'm gonna thicken your mana
Closed Thread