Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Kobold

Default Is the Troll regen for Shaman noticable?

I'm planning to play either an Ogre or Troll Shaman, but unsure which to go with.

Since Shamans convert health to mana with their spells, it makes sense to go Troll, no? But I've also heard people say the Troll regen isn't very good anyway and that some people hardly even notice it's there, whereas the Ogre stun resist will you save you from having to recast your interrupted spells?
Old 11-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Well, since you can convert about half an amount of life to mana, you pretty much add the troll regen rate/2 as additional mana per tick. There is a chart on the wiki wtih regen raes. You should also consider the eventual snare necklace and halfling illusions troll shaman will have access too. I'd certainly go troll starting in vanilla.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Kobold

Regen is huge for shaman.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, since you can convert about half an amount of life to mana, you pretty much add the troll regen rate/2 as additional mana per tick. There is a chart on the wiki wtih regen raes. You should also consider the eventual snare necklace and halfling illusions troll shaman will have access too. I'd certainly go troll starting in vanilla.
Sorry, Halfing illusions? That's really a thing? What is the item called!?!?! I'd LOVE to be a Halfing Shaman!!
Old 11-03-2019, 01:44 AM
Fire Giant

Regen is massive for a shaman at every stage of the game, regardless of what gear you have, until you get Torpor. Period. Even then you're insanely happy to have it because lvl 60 character regen is big.

To answer the question about Halfling illusion - http://wiki.project1999.com/Innoruuk_Symbol_Quests

When Kunark launches, the Innoruuk symbol quests are put in and Trolls that worship Inny can do them. One of the stages of doing the quests grants you a one (1) charge Halfling illusion item that can be used in any zone of the game. You can easily get a freshly charged illusion item again any time you want for doing a very simple camp.

The usefulness of the illusion varies. You still remain an Innoruuk worshiper which carries a very big faction hit with interactions. For what it's worth, I leveled a Troll Shaman of Inny from levels 12-18 off of the Bandits in Lake Rathe (including the Brigands) and saved every red sash in the bank using 10 slot toolboxes. Because of the small faction hits of killing the bandits, my faction was good enough to go into Qeynos with invis, use the illusion on the Docks side, and turn in every sash for the bronze weapons and level 20.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regen is massive for a shaman at every stage of the game, regardless of what gear you have, until you get Torpor. Period. Even then you're insanely happy to have it because lvl 60 character regen is big.
I agree, though I think that during classic it is just a small perk because you only get +1 regen standing and +4 sitting. It's nice, a good excuse to get smacked once in a while or to regen a bit faster after canniing (if you can stand trying to canni dance with this "click to meditate" feature), but it's not really significant imo like the regen at 51+ is.

+8/+11 regen while standing/sitting at 60 is the real deal!
Old 11-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

As a low level troll on green: it's very noticeable.

It was not noticeable on Blue when I was twinked out with 500+ hp on a level 1.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree, though I think that during classic it is just a small perk because you only get +1 regen standing and +4 sitting. It's nice, a good excuse to get smacked once in a while or to regen a bit faster after canniing (if you can stand trying to canni dance with this "click to meditate" feature), but it's not really significant imo like the regen at 51+ is.

+8/+11 regen while standing/sitting at 60 is the real deal!
So you think the regen isn't that big of a deal until sometime in a year or so when the next version of the game comes out?

If that's true, then maybe I'll just go Barbarian or Ogre instead of Troll. It's difficult for me to rationalize making the game harder by being evil and having big exp penalty for a year or longer, before I get any kind of good use out of the racial ability haha.
Last edited by Vanessa; 11-03-2019 at 11:46 PM..
Old 11-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you think the regen isn't that big of a deal until sometime in a year or so when the next version of the game comes out?

If that's true, then maybe I'll just go Barbarian or Ogre instead of Troll. It's difficult for me to rationalize making the game harder by being evil and having big exp penalty for a year or longer, before I get any kind of good use out of the racial ability haha.
Let me help put this into perspective for you. Taking a stance of just solo power only, my Iksar Shaman which possesses identical regeneration as a troll could solo every bit as fast as a Dark Elf necromancer once she reached level 34. The closer I got to 50, the stronger the character became and the regen was a key factor with the leveling speed. The character used wisdom caster items only - no melee from 34 on. So what I'm basically asserting is - don't look at the racial experience penalty for having regeneration as a drawback. It absolutely is not critical by any means.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Kobold

Be sure to make your troll an Innoruuk worshipper for the snare necklace. It is so nice when fighting in close quarter dungeons where a runner can ruin your life (http://wiki.project1999.com/Innoruuk_Symbol_Quests).

Vallon Zek (1999-2003) <Boten der Apokalypse, House T'Sai, Innoruuk's Legion, Orden des Lichts, Ancient Orden, Ancient Dawn>
[65 Barb SHM] Stear | [54 DE CLR] Palanthas
Closed Thread